‘Online’ Bank’s xenophobic reasoning for denying "foreigners" the ability to open an account online

I went to the post office today to collect the MOI’s response to the discrimination complaint against Richart/Taishin/JKO that I filed in October.

They upheld my complaint, saying that discrimination against foreigners residing here is completely unacceptable and that they’ve instructed Richart/Taishin/JKO to include foreigners in the current promotion and any future promotions by whatever means necessary.

Only joking!! It was more of the same meaningless excuses.

OCR’d, machine-translated, and slightly edited version of the main part follows:

(2) On November 24, 2023, the Ministry convened the 30th Meeting of the Review Group for Discrimination Complaints of Residents Living in Taiwan. The case filed by the complainant against Taishin International Bank and Jiekou Electronic Payment Co. Ltd. was thoroughly discussed by the attending committee members. The committee reached a decision that the complaint is not substantiated, with the following reasons:

(a) Taishin Bank only partially opens its digital banking services to residents in Taiwan due to restricted capacity and other factors, but it does not refuse to provide services.

(b) The preferential schemes introduced by Taishin Bank in collaboration with JKOPay are considered business practices and promotional activities. These are justified by commercial considerations, and the principle of contractual freedom makes it difficult to argue that Taishin Bank and JKOPay engaged in discriminatory behavior that violated the rights of residents in Taiwan. Similar benefits are also extended to both Taiwanese and foreign nationals as part of certain promotional activities.

(3) If the complainant disagrees with this decision, they may file an appeal within 30 days from the date of receipt of this decision. The appeal should be submitted to the Ministry of the Interior, and the Ministry will forward it to the Executive Yuan for further review.

They also spelled my name wrong. :roll:

So it looks like I need to add another appeal to my to-do list. :unamused:

9 Likes