Online international money transfers

Thanks.

And it will change, since banks rarely lower fees! So don’t forget to verify HSBC’s fee before every wire, to avoid more banking unpleasantness :slight_smile:

[quote=“ecce wombat”]My friend’s bank (Hua Nan) said that they only deducted NT$200 (about AU$7) - reasonable - but the transfer went (for whatever reason) through Citibank in Dublin. I can only conclude that Citibank is the villain in this tale, too, and pocketed the missing AU$62 (NT$1,475).

I’m now engaged in a game of telephone ping-pong (“You call them.” “No, it’s not our fault. You call them!”). I doubt that I’ll get a refund, but I at least want Citibank to come out from behind the small print and admit exactly how much they [strike]extorted[/strike] charged for their services. :fume:[/quote]

Your conclusion is right: Citibank Dublin took the AU$62. The surprise of not knowing the fee beforehand sucks, but the “game of telephone ping-pong” will only increase your blood pressure, not your account balance. :cry:

Another method of sending money that I’ve used in the past may work for you. I used to get (for a small fee) an international draft, and then mail it myself. There are no hidden fees [url=Tip: Wiring money back to America - #32 by davidintaipei Ask your bank.