Online tax filing 2021

Just got a “card reader” and went through the steps to register my NHI card and run the tax software.

Something is wrong with the IT managers here. Something… is just seriously wrong with them.

They are just screwed up mentally!

“Petinum III, 128 Mb RAM” really !!! holy fricking shit!

People need to do checksum, download an unsigned package, create a proxy server, input port settings manually, run certificate test, insert smart card, validate, signup for password, get authorized, do an OS and browser test that fails!

The “new” updated Tax software fails if region settings is not “taiwan” since it doesn’t recognize “2021/05/04” as a valid date!!

Tax inquiry documents are downloaded as quickreport .qrp files.

Really??? Freaking Taiwanese IT :banana:heads! Are they nuts :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::roll_eyes:

This entire non-sense would be avoided if they hired proper programmers and software engineers, create a good, usable website. Input your ARC, passport and phone and you’re done. Get everything there. All govt services.

This article mentions some non-sense:

There’s no link I’ve found that actually allows you to do what they claim in that article!

No wonder Taiwan banking, healthcare, finance and edu IT infrastructure sucks!!

Maybe its the radiation from the old abandoned nuclear projects or the mountains everywhere… I don’t know. There has to be some explanation for this degree or ridiculousness that is Taiwan IT!!!

5 Likes

Taiwanese government uses really old legacy systems that they no doubt spent a LOT of money for and therefore don’t want to pay to update it… In fact they wanted people who can use languages like COBOL and stuff like that. Not just someone who knows it, but people who actually worked during the time they were in vogue, and that isn’t over 35 years old (not going to happen).

I think big part of the problem is trying to integrate legacy systems into something more modern, that basically assumes those legacy systems are not used at all. Imagine having your smartphone app link into a server that runs on MS-DOS 5.0. You can see what kind of nightmare any IT staff has to deal with.

If there is any retrocomputing experts here, I bet he can get a very lucrative job with the TW Government.

The deadline for filing 2020 tax returns and making payments has been extended by a month, to June 30, partly to prevent crowding at the tax offices

Has anyone successfully register for the online tax filling ?

2 Likes

Yes. But had to do with a windows PC and card reader

1 Like

You can also do the tax filling with a smartphone , but not sure if foreigners can also do it?

Source:
https://www.ntbt.gov.tw/multiplehtml/20c3896037d54f2db814a6a9a3610d01

2 Likes

Nopes. Doesn’t work.you still need the inquiry code which needs a card reader or digital
Certificate.

1 Like

Same for me as every year. I went into the tax office on one of the first days of May, came back out 10 minutes later, all done with the help of the volunteers there. Nice chaps.

7 Likes

I just filed tax with Windows離線版 (e-filing for Aliens) as I have always been doing past few years. I don’t even remember what was my initial ID method anymore. Anyway, 離線版 can be used.

I tried to it but it didn’t seem to have my income details in the system and kept telling me I had to provide details on my dependents’ income even though I didn’t add any dependents.

1 Like

You can change that in the software. Check if your id has been reported correctly by your employer.

My card reader came with a mini CD, only my laptop doesn’t have a drive. I tried downloading a driver, but apparently the reader is old and no drivers are available from manufacturer’s website. I’m afraid to download a virus going third party. after the hoops @DesiInTaipei went through, I think I’ll just go to the tax office. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It shouldn’t need any driver. Just try.

Mine is a decent one and supported Plug and play.

Maybe my issue is the date, like you mentioned. I’ll give it another go.

I ended up just giving in. The online tool wouldn’t accept I didn’t have dependents, so I just went to the office and it took 5 mins as usual.

2 Likes

Is it weird that I Iook forward to this beacon of govt efficiency every year? The fact that Heritage Bakery and their excellent carrot cake is nearby doesn’t hurt either.

5 Likes

Mmmm carrot cake

2 Likes

4 Likes

Inquiry: I’m a foreigner. APRC. Apple computer, which shouldn’t make a difference but may. Taiwanese spouse, which, like the computer, shouldn’t make a difference but may. What I suspect is the really tricky part: I claim my parents in Canada as dependents. Has anyone in this situation successfully managed the online tax filing?

If yes, I may give it a shot. If no, I won’t bother with the hours of headache for uncertain results.

I went to the tax office last Friday.
One young lad was doing our taxes with one senior official guiding him.
Everything went as expected until I told them my ID number changed. Shortly after 4 senior officials were busy with my case.
It took them 15 minutes. They made additional paperwork with copy of my arc for my keeping.
In the end I received a small refund similar like last year.
I wouldn’t know what to do with filing my tax online with two different ID numbers. I don’t think the software was updated for that use case.

3 Likes

How long does it take them to transfer the refund into my bank account?