Online tax filing 2021 (and beyond)

Phew. I’ve been placing my chances at filing successfully online, with overseas parents claimed as dependents, somewhere between 0% and 3%.

That’s because the software designers are stupid. They refuse to let us use the web version in windows. You’re forced to use the program you have to download.

I got it done finally. Once you setup the software, it’s smooth sailing from that point. The software UI is terrible but it got the job done.

The final nonsense is - in the supplemental documents to be submitted to the tax office it says to show proof of employment here and proof of no income abroad :crazy_face:

Thanks - are you claiming parents as dependents?

And how do you show proof of no income abroad?!

No I’m not claiming.

Haha don’t ask me - looks like some useless traditional regulation. Will have to ask someone.

1 Like

I did! (See below.) My current plan is to assume that it’s impossible for me and wait until the tax offices reopen. If I hear that someone’s succeeded in claiming overseas parents as dependents, I’ll give it a shot, but I figure no point banging my head on something until I at least have confirmation it’s possible.

No, you can use your phone. The 55688 app or Line Taxi both work.

3 Likes

Nice one

1 Like

That’s why he gets to be the clown. :upside_down_face:

Guy

1 Like

Yup

That revised reporting deadline seems to relate to when banks need to report account information under the CRS, no?

Isn’t the tax filing deadline still June 30?

4 Likes

Actually, no.

And you need Internet Explorer!!! Even Microsoft has ditched IE!

Yes, Andrew you are correct, and thankyou for pointing this out.
The FAQ page of tax website says we must file in May, and also says the system accepts online filing from 01 May to 30 June… (confused?)

01-May to 31 May
Q2 When are foreigners supposed to file their income tax returns in the Republic of China (R.O.C.)?
"The mandatory time of filing individual income tax returns for the preceding fiscal year is from May 1st to May 31st (if May 31st falls on Sunday, national holiday or any other holiday, the due day extends to the next workday). "

01 May - 30 June

Notice

You can use this system to download the income and deductions data from 08:00:00 April 28, 2021 to 23:59:59 June 30, 2021, and upload the filing data only from May 1, 2021 to June 30, 2021.

Ok so this is my take on the online IT filing system in Taiwan.

Basically, it doesn’t exist.

The whole purpose of online filing should be to simplify filing - once ID is verified, use a computer to do the computations and get it filed. Done.

But here, even after filing online, we still have to file supplemental paper documents personally - which basically includes all documents. Passport, Arc, marriage certificate, employer contract, bills, proof of income in Taiwan, proof of no income abroad. etc etc etc.

So again my conclusion - online tax filing in Taiwan doesn’t really exist.

1 Like

I didn’t see that requirement before - how are you supposed to prove no income abroad? Abroad is a pretty big place.

It’s in the list of required docs that their software prints out in the end.

So, again, how do you prove that?

Haha. I’m not going to. Let them come back and explain how to.

Technically you need a signed statement from the tax authority of your country of previous residences and citizenship saying so blah blah.

But I think this is some old weird requirement that they aren’t enforcing anymore.

1 Like

I didn’t send in any supplemental info. I paid my tax. I’ll post if/when they ask for documentation.

2 Likes