Online teaching

Hi All,

So as some of the regulars might know, I’m leaving Taiwan soon.

I currently do 4 week stints every 6 months at a local primary school and have done so for the last 2ish years. Some of the students/parents have expressed interest in online classes while I’m in Australia.

I’m sure it’s allowed but I wanted to double check the brains trust of Forumosa.

I will create an ABN and send electronic invoices with payment links to pay by credit card online in AUD, are there any legal problems with this? (Obviously their credit cards will be in NTD which is why I think credit card payments are easiest)

I will be physically in Australia and my tax residency in Taiwan will end. My business would be based and registered in Australia and all money paid into my Australian bank account. I will also be physically in Australia. Does the Taiwan tax office have any claim in the money I make?

I have a feeling there will be schedule clashes and I may need to hire someone for a few hours a week work. If that person is physically in Taiwan, are they required to have an open work permit when hired by a foreign business but physically in Taiwan?

I want to keep things legit, I will be buying a house next year so it’s in my best interest to have all my money on the books and accounted for. Plus, I’m a square with money. I like it correct. I’m not interested in having money transferred to my Taiwanese account because it will be a pain in the ass to withdraw it/send it to Australia for me to use

No. They don’t as it is most likely considered Australian sourced income.

Furthermore… as you will be most likely considered “small scale” you are likely EXEMPT from registering for the electronic receipts and the need to collect sales tax in Taiwan!

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=G0340082

1 Like