Ontario government loses 42M selling cannabis

Leave it to the government to lose money selling drugs. :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

I’m not going to read it, but presumably it’s start up costs.

Still funny, though.

1 Like

Why is the government selling weed? Is it to monopolize it so they can regulate it properly?

Otherwise the government has no business.

Exactly. Funny headline, though :rofl:

Responding Friday to a request for comment from CBC Toronto, a spokesperson for Ontario Finance Minister Rod Phillips said initial startup costs were to blame for the financial loss.

“Cannabis legalization is a new venture for Ontario. There were investments required for setting up a system that could achieve our objectives — which is to protect youth and combat the illegal market. The OCRC’s revenue outlook reflected the initial costs for the development of this retail system,” Emily Hogeveen wrote in an emailed response.

“The Ontario Cannabis Retail Corporation (OCRC) needed to make foundational investments to support Ontario’s approach to retail sales — which will see a broad network of private retail stores across the province established to effectively combat the illegal market,” Hogeveen added.

Fucking amateurs

ETA: Of course, I’d be willing to give the government major credit if you could just show up, buy your shit, and split, without the government making you come in and hang out on their stank ass couch and bullshit for an hour.

3 Likes

Nobody can lose money dealing drugs legally, that would be nonsense. They’ll make a fortune once they figure out what they’re doing. I wouldn’t be surprised if they privatize it before they reach that point.

1 Like

FIFY

2 Likes

It is quite amazing to lose money even with start up costs selling weed legally. It’s not exactly a new market and new product that needs any marketing. They’re taking over a market worth possibly billions With a monopoly and losing money. That’s incredible.

I think Canadians are generally even proud of most of their gubmint-run services, selling weed perhaps the exception. Canadians may be about as good as government gets … and still they lost money selling weed. :thinking:

I for one can’t wait until our own lovely Feds in DC start running American healthcare. :crazy_face:I’m sure they’ll be as “good” at it as the varsity selling weed in Ottawa.

I expect maybe as many as eight in ten of us will survive the first decade. If we’re lucky.

The Ontario government apparently did. By a lot. I get start up costs being more than revenue for a new product in a new market that’s developing. This is an established multi million dollar, possibly billion dollar market they are coming in and monopolizing and they still managed to lose money. There is no product development, no marketing, no complicated supply chain, no costly regulations they have to follow besides the one they literally make for themselves. And no legal issues with the venture.

How can they be losing so much money?

4 Likes

Somebody wants to privatise it.

Im venturing a guess you havent lived in Canada before. Par for the course. If the canucks didnt have so many raw natural materials they can rape the land for amazon/africa style, canada would just be another 3rd world shit hole.

This kinda proves we aint all that bright. I blame seasonal vitamin d3 deficiency. This industry is so ripe for the picking its almost a bottomless charity bank account.

How growing this costs that much money is unreal. Privatization would do them some good.

Edit to add. On the other side there is a huge overpopulation of deer. They dont want them killed (meat…also some of the highest populations of homeless people…whom are hungry). So now enter perfect canuck logoc and they are fixing, like a TNR type deal for cats and dogs, to limit populations.

Maybe weed shouldnt be legal…people dont seem to be comprehending things well in that country.

4 Likes

:cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: Amen bro. If you took Canada’s population and put it in a country such as Singapore or Taiwan with very little natural resources, you would have Burkina Faso living standards.

1 Like

I have no doubt your neighborhood weed dealer can do a better job.

What’s even more baffling is how you can lose so much when I’m assuming no taxes need to be paid…

1 Like

Bunch of pot head civil servants high on the job.

I mean, it IS Ontario…