Open Letter to the Surly Cow in the Buffet

Nope. You may want to consider the possibility that you have a persecution complex.

Uh-huh. Doesnā€™t mean you ā€œgetā€ things, like how conversation is different than in English, why smiling or laughing doesnā€™t have the same meaning in Taiwan in this sort of situation. You know enough Chinese to become needlessly offended, from the sound of it.

Just like they overuse coriander as if it was a dish on itself. Coriander on everything ā€¦ :ponder: :unamused:

Well, Iā€™m going back to sleep. Maybe all this will be ironed out by the time I get up.

Bad additive ridden industrial bread :smiley:

Thatā€™s like deep frying a sandwich. :laughing:

Neither are eggs ā€¦

A sushi box is a perfect little fried rice kit: cooked rice, raw fish, maybe some cukes, seaweed or other veggies, and seasoning. Bit carby, maybe, but basically a sound concept. :lick: :laughing:

Um, itā€™s also a good way not to waste it if you left it a bit long to taste good raw. Wasted sushi boxes make Jesus sad.

There are machines that you can use for charging your card ā€¦ bilingual at that! :ohreally: :smiley:

Not necessarily raw fish ā€¦ in sushi. :no-no:

The obasans at the supermarket checkouts will give snarky comments like "Oh thereā€™s that foreigner again buying more tofu, wasabi and soy sauce. How unimaginative-oh! "

Well, realistically, thatā€™s about the only sort there is ā€¦

I was suggesting he go for an ultra-low-carb diet just to see if it affects his cholesterol. If heā€™s literally eating chicken curry every day, heā€™s still eating a very carb-heavy, vegetable-lite diet (starchy sauce on rice) which is not particularly healthy even if your cholesterol is normal.

I have an uncle whoā€™s been through all this. Your cholesterol is awful, says the doctor. You have to eat low fat, low this, low that. So he did. He started eating ā€œhealthyā€ vegetarian lentil- and rice-based meals, without ā€œunhealthyā€ oils, meat, or eggs. Well done, says the doctor, but unfortunately your cholesterol is still exactly the same. We just canā€™t understand it. Our theory canā€™t possibly be wrong, so you have to take these statins. Oops, it appears the statins are destroying your kidneys. But you must keep taking them, because your cholesterol is still through the roof, and our theory says thatā€™s bad.

Two years of dialysis and a kidney transplant later, the doctors are still fiddling about with his cholesterol. Retards. Heā€™s got heart problems because heā€™s a huge bag of nerves whoā€™s endlessly blowing his stack for no apparent reason, and sits in his chair all day doing fuckall.

Um ā€¦ anyway, I think Ermintrude has a point. If you donā€™t like it, donā€™t go there, and cook your own. I had a favourite breakfast shop where the laoban niang referred to me as ā€˜adogahā€™ once too often. The other staff were pleasant enough, but she just got on my nerves. So I just make my own breakfast. :idunno:

The ones at the local Wellcome are scared of me ā€¦ I always find some shelf price labels that are not correct with what they charge at the counter. Oversight or deliberate, I don care ā€¦ I get them call the store manager!

So many men (or people) have ā€˜rice belliesā€™ ā€¦ from eating too much ā€¦ rice!

OP, if cooking is not your thing -preparing meals for one person is rather boring/not that economical/challenging time wise- I recommend my meal service. That way you do not have to go out to a place they are not giving you proper service, but rather have your stuff there for you to eat whenever and wherever you want. ā€œCheap buffetā€ ainā€™t worth the aggravation.

If you are paying say 70nts for a boxed meal, the person behind the counter is getting maybe 70nts an hour. Maybe. They have to take out their frustrations with someone and atoah is easy pickings. It is annoying and daily annoyance is bad for your physical health and spiritual well being. Not worth it.

Moreover, given the current problems with tainted oils, plus health concerns, those buffet places are at the top of ā€œIā€™d rather notā€. Under McDs/Mos/KFC and other neither tasty nor hygienic venues. Few people are lucky enough to work within range of healthier options, like Tianhoā€™s green vitality drinks or organic hotpot. Or nice salad places, few of those in Taipei. Healthy restaurant eating is a big challenge.

To be honest, Iā€™d bet 99% of us foreigners stick to the tried and true at restaurants and order the same stuff at the same place all the time. Why? Because weā€™ve had bad experiences before. And we know what we like plus we observe what each place does best.

Last time I went to this Cantonese place near my home, I got a scolding for not being a Taiwanese citizen yet. :astonished: gee, I have only been buying his stuff for 12 years, no biggie. :smiley:

So wait.
Is Surly Cow the name of the buffet chain??

Cause if it ainā€™t, it sure should be, man.

Okay, I finished my nap. Is everything all right?

Iā€™ll take that as a yes.