Open Letter to the Surly Cow in the Buffet

[Optional]Most foreigners and innovative types have left your island, partly because of the unimaginative dreariness of many Taiwanese businesses.[Optional]

[Optional]Would it kill you to boil up some SiWuTang in the morning?[Optional]

Should I add that last line? Could you sum up the exodus in one sentence?

If anyone can help me translate that…

So help me out here. If a guy came into your restaurant every day and ordered the same thing, you would never comment on it to a colleague?

Sounds to me like you’re adopting the “the world revolves around me and everything said to or about me is purposeful”. Sometimes people just chat about what’s in front of them, you know. I don’t see you saying they’re saying “What an idiot” or anything, after all.

what are you really so angry and bitter about?

When I was 5 I went to playschool and some kid threw sand in my face, then I came last in the hurdles. Fast forward twenty years and I’m teaching English in a backwater island, I can’t afford to fix my laptop and my tooth hurts.

Is your current discomfort enough for you to change your situation?
“Intense, unexpected suffering passes more quickly than suffering that is apparently bearable; the latter goes on for years and, without our noticing, eats away at our souls, until, one day, we are no longer able to free ourselves from the bitterness and it stays with us for the rest of our lives.”

What’s wrong with tofu, onions and garlic? Garlic especially lowers the risk for heart disease, among other things.

This happened in early June. I’ve been holding onto it all summer. My therapist said I should blog it, so I did. Is there anything wrong with a bit of closure?

Yes they’re delicious. I just reckon some buffets overuse them. I like the restaurants where they don’t use any…

I know it’s not what you asked, but you might be worrying unnecessarily (stress, btw, is a major risk factor for heart disease). Dietary fat has little or nothing to do with raised cholesterol. The doctors who recommend eating low-fat, low-cholesterol diets acknowledge in the same breath that those dietary changes have little or no impact on blood serum levels of LDL. They therefore usually prescribe cholesterol-lowering medication … which large studies have now shown to have no measurable impact on heart diseases associated with raised cholesterol.

The natural conclusion is that it’s a little more complex than “you are what you eat”. More recent evidence suggests that heart disease is primarily triggered by high-sugar, high-starch, high-salt diets (and stressful lifestyles), with raised cholesterol being one of several symptoms, not an underlying cause. It just so happens that Americans ingest all those things together; there aren’t many people who naturally eat oily-but-not-starchy diets, or vice versa. Dieticians just assumed (without any proof) that it was the oil component causing the trouble. Eating food which is both starchy and greasy is undoubtedly bad for you. Oils, in and of themselves, are not inherently bad or good, although you probably don’t want to overdose on them. Saturated fats are a bit iffy, trans-fats are poison.

I also don’t understand why you think onions and garlic are somehow a problem. Fair enough if you don’t like them, but most people do, and they’re not unhealthy as far as I’m aware. Garlic has been credited with all sorts of health benefits, although most of those should be, um, taken with a pinch of salt.

If you’d like to try an experiment on yourself, give this a go: reduce to a minimum all processed foods such as polished rice, refined sugar, sodas, bread, and stuff that comes in fancy plastic packets with slogans like “low cholesterol!” on the front. Give it three months, and then go for a cholesterol test.

1 Like

I agree with you Finley. Cholesterol isn’t the real enemy.

Healthy fats are essential to the human body and people are unnecessarily scared of them. But cheap, overused, processed, overheated oils are really bad for the arteries. There are many causes for heart disease. I agree with your synopsis of the major causes.

Linus Pauling worked out a lot of the underlying factors for heart disease.

I gave up all that gunk ages ago, and feel a lot better for it. I just used the word cholesterol because I didn’t want to say “low quality processed cooking oils.” that sounds even snottier.

Here’s a link that could save a ton of lives worldwide:

articles.mercola.com/sites/artic … uling.aspx

Maybe improve your life a little? GO to another restaurant?

There was one tiny place on ChongShan N.Rd. that i liked going to. I only really liked their chicken leg on rice meal.

So every time i went there i only ordered that one thing. So eventually i only had to show my face, not utter one word and the dish would appear in front of me. I would finish it, pay and leave, not saying one word.

It was funny one time when the young couple next to me saw this whole thing go down and they were scratching their heads :slight_smile:

I have a habit of finally picking one thing at one place that i like and i would only order that one thing if i went to that place.

One bientang place i would only ever order chicken breast lunch box. And every time it was the same.

One time i varied my order and it was funny the reactions of the cook. He shouted from the back incredulous that i didn’t order the same thing.

Believe me, if you order the same exact thing everyday someone working there is going to notice. Especially if you are a foreigner.

Or even if you are not. Over here in the Marina district in SF, i used to frequent this very tiny hole in the wall Japanese restaurant that had a Japanese owner (who used to make the sushi there) with chinese and mexican cooks and one pot smoking American (white) waiter. I used to order this one dish each and every time. And he would always say "let me guess, you want the chicken terriyaki? ".

You get noticed if you order just the one thing. And people would talk about it.

As I explained in a post that got nuked, they were kind of sneering instead of nicey nice banter. I know plenty of restaurants near my house where I walk in and they give me my usual dish.

I only go to this place because I have to. The other restaurants near work are even worse. All the other cafes are greaseball hellholes. I like WuguFan, it’s hard to get in TW.

LOL well you have to put up with the Soup Nazi then

And you can tell because your Chinese is so good…? Oh, wait, you said it wasn’t…???

Give him a break. He says he has enough Chinese. Mine was bad, however I knew when I was being looked upon badly.

Don’t dismiss this out of hand because it sounds like too much work, but you might feel better if you take control and make your own dinner. I have a flask and take nice things to work every day. Current meals on rotation: stir-fried sushi (easy and fab, stick the ginger, wasabi and soy sauce into it,), tofu soup with kimchi and green beans (cheap as fck, easy to make), lamb stew with spices and coconut (harder to make but a big batch gets frozen).

People in the buffet probably are depressing twats: I know I’d be snarky as fuck if my job was to cook and sell cheap food in a backstreet in my hometown. Let it go and vent online :wink: .

You need to read more carefully.

The OP actually posted the following:

How dare the OP complain about anything! :unamused:

It’s easy enough to pick up on social cues: we don’t need to rely on literal meanings in spoken language to sense aggression.

And if I say anything back your comrade Tempo Gain rolls in and deletes my post, right? My Chinese? I can order beef noodles hold the onions and charge an MRT card, I’d say I was Upper Intermediate.