Open letter to those concerned

If I made anything approaching 50k, the dog and I would be re-assessing the sleeping arrangements in my house.

Tando, in short:(FBT=Foreign Born Taiwanese)

• I envy FBT’s
  • I defend FBT’s
  • FBT’s can help Taiwanese young people to understand foreigners
  • 1/7000 foreigners are ungentlemanly
  • 6999/7000 love and respect our adopted home
  • If you talk to my wife, she’ll tell you I am definitely not a sexpat
1 Like

Thank you a lot. I think I could completely understand the summary.

1 Like

If you don’t start putting out soon, I foresee trouble in your marriage.

You can pick up a bottle of “Dua Diao” where ever fine (and not so fine) medicinal alcoholic beverages are sold. Thank me later.

1 Like

Let me ask… do you wish you were an FBT? If you could trade places, would you?

Eh… I’d say the numbers are more like 1/20 and 15/20 respectively, and then the remaining 4 are kind of in a grey zone where they fall into the first group one day and the second group the next.

1 Like

You’ve been here just one week, right?

1 Like

Yes, I wish I was FBT. Maybe I would understand Taiwan culture better.

I try to see roses, you see thorns.

Good advice. Perhaps it will kill the au de chien smell I usually possess.

To make up a statistic I’d say from experience that 95% or more prefer a local guy
Same language and culture …

And to continue my thoughts

White privilege?
To pay more than locals at markets because foreign
A restaurant whips out an english menu for you ?
Hoardes of people want to practice English for free and we think they are being friendly ?
Government makes it clear we are only good for a visit and then get out.

Ive never seen this white privilege that gets spoken about :). I’ve never really been treated poorly though

Must be my resting bitch face

2 Likes

8 days, 4 hours and 23 minutes and I love it! I haven’t seen any foreigners yet but, my neighbours said they saw one at the gas station a couple of months ago.

2 Likes

Fair enough. :man_shrugging:

Dude, just read through this forum. Either we manage to attract that 1 in 7,000 or the number is much higher than you think. I actually think I was being quite conservative and optimistic with my 1 in 20. You’ve been here all of 8 days. Hard to have an informed opinion after only one week. Experience more of both the ups and downs of Taiwan life, and meet some more ex-pats. Especially those in bars. You may change your own stats after a few more months.

Dan, Dan, Dan my brother. What does the good book say about turning one’s cheek?
To pay more than locals at markets because foreign. You mean the auntie who makes pennies wants to squeeze a little more?
A restaurant whips out an english menu for you ? What is this English menu idea that you speak of?
Hoardes of people want to practice English for free and we think they are being friendly ? Parlez vous Francais?
Government makes it clear we are only good for a visit and then get out. Taiwan is not a house of ill repute.

I just love the stats though, did you know that 75.7% of all stats are just made up on the spot?

2 Likes

I turn the other cheek often but I don’t let that get in the way of a good rant here.
Gonna start speaking some words in French when people speak English to me… great idea.

And I wouldn’t want to be in a club that would have me as a member… Taiwan is spot on there.

You gotta understand, I have a goofy face that seems to invite weirdos to come up to me and interact with me. Like attracts like

1 Like

Is that an invitation to be friends? I like friends. I hope you like Yahtzee, though. Do you have line? What’s your FB? Do you have snapchat? What’s your phone number? The gathering can’t wait to meet you.

1 Like

I want to join too.

I’d have no problem being friends with you… presuming you pick up the tabs. But you’d probably find me a bit boring; in my 30s, married with a baby, barely drink these days, and I don’t even have a Snapchat! Go out there and enjoy Taiwan, young buck! And then report back to us in 6 months. It’ll be interesting to see if your perspective has changed.

1 Like

Drew, I just shotgunned a bottle of Dua Diao and am gonna go see if the wife forgot to deadbolt the bedroom door. But, before I go I’ll let you off the hook. Shits and giggles, duder.

… okay.

After this and the buttons im looking forward to the next one