Open letter to those concerned

I hope you remember to use protection. Another rug rat would just complicate things. Although I have heard that Dua Diao also doubles as a mild spermicide.

Just remember you will always be a polar bear in Taiwan.

The local brown bears will always note that and you will not ever be a brown bear unless you are at least half brown.

And woe be you if you are a brown bear that can’t speak Chinese, but kudos if you speak Taiwanese instead.

If you are a half white and half brown bear like me who speaks Chinese and Taiwanese and English then you are ok …you fit right in.

2 Likes

Next time, use paragraph breaks. Break it up into bite-sized morsels and people will chew on it.

Otherwise, what are we going to do with that big chunk of meat, while holding only a pair of chopsticks?

8 Likes

OK, OK, enjoy your vacations in Taiwan.

Just for the record, he was teasing us:

1 Like

The first time I visited my in-laws’ house I wanted to impress them so cooked a meal. It was only after I started to serve that it became clear that they had no cutlery, only chopsticks. Amazingly, they still managed to eat chicken in red wine and mashed potato. I was impressed enough to marry their daughter.

2 Likes

Which means you and your likes are entirely to blame for how shitty much of the West have become :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Ya, original sentiment is sincere. Taiwanese kids all have tiger mom’s, they’re a smart bunch. The message got to where it was intended to go.

thats good to know. i was under the impression mixed kids were still seen as ‘wai guo ren’ in a lot of occasions. would be nice if its not totally that way.

1 Like

Ooof, I haven’t been trolled this hard since the guy who got lost in that airport Tim Horton’s trying to find his way to Taiwan. :man_facepalming:

We still are. Doesn’t really bother me, though. I don’t look local at all, except maybe the jet black hair. I don’t speak Chinese nearly as well as Tommy and I can’t speak Taiwanese (except cursing, of course).

Not exactly me, but I come pretty close to the description.

I’m often times shocked by how ok people are with casual prejudice here in Taiwan. Making fun of Hakka, Holo, Aboriginals, women, migrant workers, new immigrant wives, homosexuals, Japanese, Koreans, people of African decent, and yes, Caucasians.

The difference between some of these casual prejudices is that for most it’s mockery and looking down on others to get a sense of self-importance, but in the cases of homosexuals and Caucasians, I get a sense of actual resentment and hostility from some Taiwanese men making such comments.

When it’s people I know well enough, I do try to provide a different perspective to see if they would rethink their positions, but the thing about casual prejudice is that people believe they are telling it like it is.

The only way to really change their minds would be getting to know more white people and more white people who don’t fit the stereotype.

I only have one issue with this thread… it feels like it belongs to the Open Forum or Living in Taiwan. Would you mind if I move this to one of the two?

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for this. Move it at will.

The OPs letter seems to look to a group of pretty random strangers to define a sense of belonging or acceptance. There was something similar going on in the buttons thread. It was about how one is perceived by strangers.

If option A is caring about what strangers think, then how about option B: not caring? I try not to care myself, its definitely easier.

Mixed kids are generally well liked in Taiwan …and no , if they are half Taiwanese they tend to be seen as Taiwanese.

1 Like

yea i basically mean if you are born and grew up here, speaking chinese ect. i would hope these kids are not referred to as wai guo ren.

That’s correct in my experience here.

Go and read the post again!!! I was responding to that post, not stating it. Do you think Chewy would ever use post colonialism and liberal arts in the same sentence. I liked imperialism. :joy: