Open letter to various scooter drivers

To the skinny girl on the Clixi driving 100 KM with spike heels and no underwear, you almost ran me over. When you fall off it’s going to hurt. And Clixi’s weren’t meant to go that fast.

To chubby guy eating a sandwich with one hand carrying his girlfriend on the back – you are weaving back and forth. That sandwich looks huge, I recommend having your girlfriend feed you instead. This will work better for both of us.

To the construction worker with the Jog 50 that’s spewing a black cloud of smoke, you are destroying the planet. And now I have to figure out which is the front end of my charcoal activated surgery mask.

To the guy with a hand truck tied to the back – I like you. If everyone sucked as much utility out of everyday objects as you the world would have less waste. But I am scared that pile of folded cardboard boxes is going to fall over side ways. Please see if you can get the guy carrying the 12 foot pole to take some of them for you.

[quote=“vans”]To the construction worker with the Jog 50 that’s spewing a black cloud of smoke, you are destroying the planet. And now I have to figure out which is the front end of my charcoal activated surgery mask.
[/quote]
Have a smart phone? Great!
Next time if you’d see that Jog 50 on the street again, maybe you’d like to take 3 pictures for the same vehicle at different time, showing it is harmful to our environment and then send the pictures with your personal information to the local EPA authority to claim your NTD300 incentives!

Air Pollution Control Act
Atricle 42

[quote]Those in-use motor vehicles for which air pollutant emissions are determined through visual determination, visual inspection or remote sensing performed by competent authority inspection personnel to fail to meet the emissions standards in Article 34 or the remote sensing screening standards officially announced by the central competent authority shall be repaired and undergo testing at a designated location by the deadline designated in the competent authority notification.
Citizens may report the air pollutant emissions of in-use motor vehicles to the competent authority; those vehicles which have been reported and notified by the competent authority shall undergo testing at a designated location by a designated deadline; the central competent authority shall determine regulations for reporting and incentives.
[/quote]

Source: 使用中汽車排放空氣污染物檢舉及獎勵辦法(98.12.25.)
ivy5.epa.gov.tw/epalaw/search/Lo … lname=0300

You can sign up here and report his license plate, time and location.
polcar.epa.gov.tw/public/pub_entry.asp
The EPA will then check to see whether his vehicle has recently passed an emissions test. If not (as is almost certainly the case) they will then send a notice instructing him to take it to a testing center for testing. If he doesn’t, or if it fails the inspection, he then gets fined NT$12,000 or something like that.

In practice, I think it convinces people to repair the scooters much of the time before getting them tested, so that helps clean up the environment; and some will junk the scooters and get a new, cleaner one instead.

You can also take the photos as CityGirl says; note that (as far as I can recall) they have to be time stamped, and have to clearly show the license plate and the emissions and (by means of the background) the location, simultaneously, or you may not be eligible for the cash awards – but that doesn’t matter, because you’ll still be helping to bust the scum.

How come iv never seen any girls in public not wearing undies, cept at a nude beach?

And I guess you are relatively new in taiwan cuz the traffic is mindboggling. I guess you get some sort of immunity after awhile.

Taiwanese ride CRAZY and drive CRAZY too.

[quote=“I am a City Girl”][quote=“vans”]To the construction worker with the Jog 50 that’s spewing a black cloud of smoke, you are destroying the planet. And now I have to figure out which is the front end of my charcoal activated surgery mask.
[/quote]
Have a smart phone? Great!
Next time if you’d see that Jog 50 on the street again, maybe you’d like to take 3 pictures for the same vehicle at different time, showing it is harmful to our environment and then send the pictures with your personal information to the local EPA authority to claim your NTD300 incentives!

Air Pollution Control Act
[/quote]

Could you also take pictures of the girl with no underwear?
Perhaps the EPA could pay her a 300NT environmental enhancement incentive. Carrot.

I cannot contain my scowl upon seeing 2 stroke 50cc scooters spewing exhaust out on the streets here. I might start resorting to picture taking. Nice tip. Thanks guys!

To the government here, please ban 2 strokes.

2 stroke: thin plume of blue smoke: Good.

2 stroke with thick pall of black or grey smoke: Bad.

Just remember that next time you think that all 2 strokes are bad. Some are actually in good tune.

The there are others that may appear to blow too much smoke at first sight, but perhaps they are running on choke (having only just started up) and will soon settle down to a legal level of exhaust smoke.

2 strokes can actually use fuel more efficiently than a 4 stroke so they have other savings.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]…you’ll still be helping to bust the scum.[/quote]Logically thinking, I guess you don’t actually mean that everyone who rides or has ridden a smoking scooter is worthless, like “scum”. But it’s still hard not to take that comment personally.

I had a BWS100, bit old, and used to smoke sometimes. I felt pretty embarrassed when it was smoking a lot. Scrapped it a couple of weeks ago, partly because of that.

Oh, and Urodacus is right, of course. A 2-stroke running well can be a clean, efficient thing. Some of the new 2-strokes have fancy emission-reducing exhausts and stuff as well, and are legal in Europe. I’m all for that, and if we can get more electric vehicles on the road as well, that will be good.

Alright, maybe not a straight up ban on 2 strokes, but whenever I see a scooter here in Taipei spewing clouds of horrid exhaust, it is 9.999999999 times out of 10 a 2 stroke piece of shit scooter. I want them off the road.

What’s going on with regards to electric scooters? You’d think we see more news and developments living where we do here considering the amount of people who rely on scooters for every day transport.

They need to ban fuel burning scooters from Taipei’s city center, the same way Mumbai banned tuk tuks.

Force Kymco and SYM to start making electric scooters for this market.

Get all 19-24 year old orange haired traffic weaving douchebag scooter trendies off the road.

I found it! I knew it must exist!
Finally, the bike you can “drive” :wink:

To the asshat in a car that takes up far too much room, and has not even mastered the basics of Observation 101.

Well, it’s irresponsible behavior which is harmful to the health of others and to our environment. If I see someone throwing the trash from a Happy McCrappy Meal out the window of their car as they’re driving, or dumping motor oil in the street, or riding a badly smoking scooter anywhere except into the bay of a repair shop, I’m gonna have some pretty harsh words to say about them. Expletives are rarely meant literally, of course; how many arsehats have you ever actually seen? :wink:

How can you tell if your scooter is making too much smoke? How can you tell if it’s making ANY smoke?

I mean, who the hell looks BEHIND them? You’d need mirrors for that.

If this doesn’t turn into something beyond random ranting soon it’s going to temp. :popcorn:

:bravo:

:bravo:[/quote]
Yea, I guess it goes both ways

:bravo:[/quote]
Yea, I guess it goes both ways[/quote]

not really, if scooters didn’t try to weave in-between every car in a mad dash for the front, if they didn’t try to race by a car on the right as it is making a right hand turn, if they didn’t always drive in the no scooter lanes the roads would be much safer.

That ‘asshat’ in the car hasn’t mastered ‘observation 101’ because that course is for Jedis. It is not his fault when you do illegal maneuvers, tail gate and go for broke in his blind spot, or while not keeping the requisite distance or staying in the proper lane.

I don’t care about the pollution, but the aftermarket exhausts annoy me. Is there anything worse than trying to get to sleep when some asshat is roaring up and down the street outside on a modified scooter? Farting scooters aren’t chick magnets.

i don’t mind this so much… if it’s a ducati.