Open-Work Permit Application Procedures - Step by step

Fill out the OWP application. Take your passport and a copy with you and also a picture for the application. Go before lunch, drop off the application, go for lunch, come back and pick it up in the afternoon.

3 Likes

So do I need to update my OWP if I changed ID number (and address) on APRC?

Depending on how you got your APRC then applying for the Open-Work Permit isnā€™t legally necessary since October 2021. I would say since it isnā€™t required to have one then updating it would also not be required. Though need to be aware the exemption doesnā€™t apply to all APRC holders.

1 Like

NIA now print at the bottom right of the APRC in red text ā€œęŒęœ‰č©²č­‰ę›øē„”需ē”³č«‹å·„作čرåÆč­‰å³åÆ巄作ā€ translation: ā€œHolders of the certificate do not need to apply for a work permit to workā€.

Iā€™ve confirmed this is printed on a Foreign Professional based APRC. If others who have recently gone to an APRC (or updated it) that is not covered under the Foreign Talent Act if they could share if any changes have been made to the card then that would be interesting to know.

8 Likes

Hello. Not sure where to ask this but instead of starting a new thread, Iā€™ll just put it here.

So, I got my APRC over ten years ago, at which time I also applied for and received an Open Work Permit (this was a formality).

Iā€™ve been asked to show my OWP maybe a dozen times over the ten years ā€“ Iā€™m guessing some clients have overzealous financial departments or accountants?

The OWP has my old APRC number, old passport number, pretty much old everything. I am OK renewing it but I donā€™t want it to be like NIA when you go in to do a change of information application and theyā€™re like ā€œyou need to come in within 30 days, so the fine is XXXXX NT Dollars.ā€ Screw that.

Should I just leave well enough alone and continue to use my old OWP or do I go to the Labor Bureau (or wherever it is) and see if I can get the info current? Thereā€™s no expiry date on it. Itā€™s the former, right?

TIA.

Probably best to have at least one number corresponding with your current number of passport or ID ?

Maybe just simply apply for a new one for 100NT ?

4 Likes

Yeah, probably good to have that, although the old APRC number is on the back.

I just donā€™t want this to turn into a case of ā€œtrying to do the right thingā€ and it ends up biting me in the backside! Thanks for the reply.

Itā€™s a snap. $100 NTD. Drop the application in before lunch, then pick up after lunch. Super easy. Or you can do it by mail. No late fees or fines, etc. Easy peasy Japaneasy.

Current passport number matching your current APRC number matching your current OWP. All good things.

But, I recently heard that some of the APRCs are now getting the red printing on the front like the JFRV ARCs that state that the holder has open work rights and doesnā€™t need a separate OWP.

I donā€™t know which APRCs that this corresponds to though.

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be surprised though if some employers still insisted on seeing the OWP because thatā€™s what their process says :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

OK thanks I just donā€™t want to get fined for not updating it for 10 years.

Yeah, it must be in some checklists for required documentation so I always show them my old one which seems to suffice.

1 Like

I visited the office this week to apply for an an open work permit. The information bolded above is outdated.

a. You donā€™t need to take along a filled out application form - theyā€™ll give you one and help you fill it out the Chinese parts.

c. You need 2 copies of your passport.

f. You no longer need a photo to apply for an OWP.

g. I took my chop but they didnā€™t want to use it. Instead they asked for my English signature.

4 Likes

thx for this, good to have update infos.

2 Likes