Opening a Business on a Dependent ARC

I’m on a dependant ARC (wife has an APRC and is a foreigner as well) I would like to know if I can run a sole proprietorship in my name. Don’t forget that foreigner dependant ARC holders married to a foreigner APRC holder, cannot get a work permit nor allowed to work unless I get someone to sponsor me a work permit.
So I guess my question is - Can an FOREIGNER DEPENDANT ARC HOLDER ON A FOREIGNER SPOUSE APRC HOLDER open a sole proprietorship firm in Taiwan.

not an expert, but i dont see a reason why not.you have a valid arc, and plan to be your own employer, so as long as you meet the other requirements should be ok.
you can ask the NIA, or an accountant for advice.
in the past ive used Jusregal accounting firm and received professional and courteous service, they help foreignersset up businesses in TW and their initial consultation is free.

2 Likes

you can run a sole proprietorship in your name, as other foreigners can. your company will support your work permit, if you work. if you just own the company and don’t work, you don’t need to get a work permit. iiuc

Don’t run a sole proprietorship in Taiwan. Run an LLC.

1 Like

Thanks Izzy!

Now to the second part of my question. I have actually set up a sole proprietorship with a friend. I don’t have my name anywhere on the title. I do and spend everything for the business. The business is not generating money as yet as I am in the process of R&D.

We also got the firm registered with an import / export license. Now my friend would like to hand over the firm to me as he will be leaving Taiwan soon. I met with a CA and they said that as a foreigner I can’t take over. They did offer to do the paperwork If I got another Taiwanese Citizen to take over the firm. I know the process involved but I don’t think that CA gave me the right picture because their English and my Chinese was equally atrocious and adding google translate to the mix didn’t help…

Any ideas on this front? Unfortunately I have about 24 hours with which to make a decision as my friend will be leaving soon.

Any help will be invaluable…thanks in advance.

I believe you need to get an approval from the Investment Review Committee, Ministry of Economic Affairs.

Are you sure about this?
Why you can’t get APRC and work permit?