Opening/running a company in Taiwan as a foreigner

No. You can just issue them invoices under your own name.

You might need to register a company though, if your clients request an official fapiao rather than a receipt. (At least according to another commenter above.)

No. You need the paid in capital of $500000 to get the work permit. The work permit gets you the ARC. You can do this on a visitor visa. (Not visa free status)

you have an open work permit. It is obviously much easier if you already have an open work permit.

To be honest, anyone can open a company here. It is fully legal to be headless and hire a Taiwanese head. For the company you opened to hire and sponsor you without a work permit, well. Capital requirements

I always issue invoices under my own name (to overseas companies), but the point I was getting at is that I thought (possibly incorrectly) that most Taiwanese companies would want/prefer fapiao with a business registration number etc. rather than an invoice from an individual, for VAT and so on.

But you canā€™t get the investor approval from the investment comission as a foreigner without an ARC unless you go through an agent. Thatā€™s what the investment commission told me and if I remember correctly it also says that in the notes section of the application form.

Nope. No agent. But the CPA knows what to do.

Hi @VisitorTW. Here is the CPA I recommend and use. He speaks English. Rates are reasonable. He can help with opening and sales taxes/VAT.

1 Like

Most companies prefer fapiao because itā€™s a hassle to claim money paid to individual freelancers against their taxes if they donā€™t have a fapiao.

2 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s what I suspected. So itā€™s a hassle, rather than impossible?

They can do it, itā€™s just extra work for their accountant. I heard from one customer that some accountants charge extra for it.

1 Like

And itā€™s not extra work for me to register a business? Maybe I should start charging extra to clients who request fapiao.

1 Like

but thats what businesses doā€¦ include overhead costs into their pricing and roll it to their clients

1 Like

Thanks Marco!

1 Like