Opening/running a company in Taiwan as a foreigner

What are the costs and procedures for opening/running a company in Taiwan as a foreigner?

A bit of Googling found a price estimate but it seems to be excessive. In other countries you pay a few dollars and it is done.

Also, can anyone recommend a good English speaking lawyer and accountant who can advise on the legal aspects of opening a company here - e.g. Occupational Safety & Health, any relevant laws, tax reporting, any other obligations, etc. Inexpensive ones are preferred.

there are plenty of threads about this, use the search function.
in the past ive consulted with jusregal cpa firm (google them for their contact details) and received courteous and professional help, there could be cheaper options, but i didnt look.
as for set up cost: around 50K NT$, not including your own capital requirements.

3 Likes

Minimum you’ll pay 2000-3000 a month for an accountant, and 1500 a month for a virtual office (which you’ll need for a company address). Other than that, if you do the whole registration yourself, which isn’t hard, you won’t have any additional major costs. I am in the final stages of registering an LLC right now and have managed to do everything myself. I’ve used an accountant once, which was for verifying my capital amount. It’s still important to have an accountant though for processing stuff post-registration.

2 Likes

What kind of visa is needed to set up this kind of company?

As an extreme example, let’s say you don’t even live in Taiwan. Are you still allowed to open up a company in Taiwan, as a foreigner?

Does this kind of company have minimum paid-in-capital or minimum revenue requirements? As an example, if you want to form a company with the goal of acquiring a Resident visa for Entrepreneurs, then you need to form a company with “at least NTD500,000 in paid-in capital” and the revenue requirement is that “in the second year, in order to renew your residency permit, your company needs to reach a turnover of at least NTD3,000,000.” Reference: Citizenship by investment in Taiwan | Passports.IO .

Only to help you set up the company and give you advice, right? I don’t imagine you would need to keep them around afterwards (unless you just can’t figure out how to pay taxes on your own).

No, in fact you don’t really need an accountant when setting up the company (apart from the capital verification letter). You only really need an accountant after setup because there are lots of things such as VAT that are a massive hassle. Plus, if you start doing your own books, it will be very difficult to later on find an accountant because they will become liable for any past mistakes you make if they take you on as a customer (according to my CPA).

We’re talking about a foreign freelancer trying to get around visa laws by starting a one-man business here, right? Would you still need an accountant if your only expense is salary for yourself?

I didn’t get the impression that the OP was trying to start a larger company with multiple employees or anything like that.

If you don’t already have an ARC, you can’t set up a business by yourself. In that case you’d need the help of one of the many companies that do it for you.

Right, I know that part. But do you really need to keep an accountant around even after the business is set up and you’ve gotten your ARC?

It’s not a legal requirement as far as I know, but I don’t think anyone would recommend not hiring one. Taiwan’s whole system is fucked, and it’s extremely difficult for locals to even understand to do all this stuff, let alone foreigners. Unless you need a visa or your customers need 癌焚, I wouldn’t bother registering a company here, you would be much better off doing so in one of the many jurisdictions where government procedures aren’t so ridiculous.

1 Like

I see. Well I guess I will refrain from registering a business here, and just continue to be a freelancer. I can already legally do business here anyway.

If your customers don’t need 癌焚 and you aren’t hiring anyone, I’d say it’s pointless to register a business

1 Like

Yes but if you don’t have an ARC you’ll need to go through an agency to help you do it.

1 Like

thats silly, because if you open a company there are many ways to decrease your tax burden, and an accountant can help you with that.

1 Like

No, the company is not for getting around visa laws.

The purposes of the company are to:

1. Bill other entities for work done (does this require a company or can a private individual issue invoices in Taiwan?)
  2. Bid for government grants
  3. Be tax efficient by allowing expenses to be deducted before tax, rather than to get a salary and be taxed on the gross

What about a sole proprietorship route? It could work for the above, and be cheaper and more streamlined for someone just starting out, than a plc.

1 Like

No, you don’t need to register a company to bill your clients or to issue invoices.

This is not true. You can most definitely start without an ARC.

Limited company every time. There are almost no advantages to a sole proprietorship in Taiwan

But you need to do it through an agent if you haven’t got an ARC, no? That’s what investment comission told me when I asked whether or not I should do it through an agent. Since I had an ARC they said it’s pointless. Come to think of it, I’d imagine one of the reasons you need to do it through an agent if you haven’t got an ARC is that you wouldn’t been able to open the ç±Œć‚™è™•æˆ¶é ­ without an ARC.

Don’t you need one to bill them/issue them to companies inside Taiwan, and for fapiao?

(I’m not sure - everyone I issue invoices to is abroad so I’ve never bothered.)