Opinion: NTNU MTC has the worst Mandarin training center in Taiwan

If you are planning to come to Taiwan to study Chinese, think twice before signing up to Shi-Da MTC (國立台灣師範大學).
Here is a long post about this school.

Last week a friend told me she’s coming to Taiwan to study Chinese. I asked her which school, “NTNU, I read it is the best in Taiwan” she said.
Too late…

To be fair, in terms of quality NTNU certainly isn’t the worst mandarin training center in Taiwan, but if you consider price vs value, I’m pretty sure it is the worst.
I studied in NTNU myself, and also know tons of people that study/studied there. I will spend some time here bashing NTNU, so that people can avoid my mistake and my friend’s mistake.

My Story
I’m the archetype of a long term Chinese student. I started studying Chinese from zero 5 years ago, I’ve been in different schools in Taiwan and China, I’ve been to classes while on vacations, I’ve had a private tutor while employed, I’ve attended to classes when changing jobs, anyway, I’ve been to lots of classes. Now I can read books, news and I’m fluent to the point people think I’m Taiwanese when talking in the phone (people are often baffled when they meet me in person and see a white guy).
I think from experience I can tell what’s good and what’s bad about a Chinese language school. So here’s my take on NTNU.

The Bad

[ul]
[li]It is expensive. Studying Chinese in NTNU is more expensive than studying masters in Taiwan, and in NTNU mandarin students don’t even get a dorm! (tip: except for NTNU, most universities offer dorms for mandarin students). Renting near NTNU is expensive. If you want cheap, expect to live far from school. (There are a few cheap-ish places in Shida Nightmarket, if you can accept noise, smell and cockroaches)[/li]
[li]Classes are too short. The two options you have are Standard Course and Intensive Course. The Standard Course has 2hr classes per day, which is nothing. The intensive course has the impressive amount 3hr of classes per day. Sadly, in Taiwan short classes are becoming the norm, schools make more money this way I guess. In China you can still find 5~8 hour/day classes. I’ve been to a intensive 7hr/day for 5 weeks in Beijing, pure insanity but super recommended.[/li]
[li]The Standard Course sucks. The pace is sluggish, seriously, it’s a waste of time even for beginners.[/li]
[li]The Intensive Course sucks. It is much more expensive than the Standard and the pace isn’t really intensive. The “intensity” comes from the fact that they quiz you everyday with a long vocabulary list, so that you have to spend a lot of time the day before memorizing those words (needless to say how effective memorizing vocabulary lists is for learning a language)[/li]
[li]The teaches suck. I studied in NTNU for 3 terms: 1 teacher was descent, 1 was horrible, 1 was great. From other friends, I heard good teachers in NTNU are really rare now, and most of those are old and retiring. It seems NTNU had a golden age decades ago when it was the best place to teach Chinese in Taiwan. Now they have lots of underpaid teachers with crazy class schedules, and unpaid overtime for checking homework and tests. (tip: if you are starting NTNU right now, check with your friends who is a good teacher, if you want to change to that teacher’s class you have to do it on the first day of class, the good teachers get their classes full very quick)[/li]
[li]The books suck. And what is worst is that if you go to a bookstore in Taiwan, pretty much every book for studying chinese is made by NTNU. When I studied Chinese in Beijing I thought those books were not very good so I threw them away… big regret, I had no idea. Luckily I kept one grammar book, it is my treasure now.[/li]
[li]Service is horrible. The office staff is impolite, unhelpful and treat students like crap. To be fair, service is not the strong point of Taiwanese public universities.[/li]
[li]You can’t quit. In Taiwan, if you want to change to another language school, you need to leave the country and come back again. Also, after 2 periods, you get an ARC which is super useful in Taiwan, and of course you lose it if you change schools. You can still quit after you started, but for most people it’s just too much trouble.[/li]
[li]You have to take it seriously. You can’t just say “screw this crap, I’m going to learn Chinese on the street”. There is a constant reminder that they will cancel your visa if you skip classes, don’t do well in the quizzes, or don’t complete the mandatory self-study hours in the study room.[/li]
[li]Some teachers are racist. In Taiwan it is considered socially acceptable to be racist towards folks from less fortunate South East Asia countries, but in a school like Shi-Da this kind of thing shouldn’t be tolerated. Teachers should leave racism at home, and staff should at least pretend to take complaints seriously. Sucks for those being bullied by the teacher and it also sours the environment for the other students.[/li][/ul]

The Good

[ul]
[li]It is famous in Taiwan. Taiwanese people know about it.[/li]
[li]NTNU makes the Taiwan Chinese proficiency test. Don’t be surprised if in the proficiency test you see the exact same crap you saw in class.[/li]
[li]There are many students. There is a good mix of people from all around the world, so you can meet lots of interesting people. Although, from intermediate level and up, most students are either Japanese or Korean, and in advanced levels pretty much everyone is overseas Chinese (tip: if you are not an overseas Chinese student, do not join a class with mostly overseas Chinese students, it will suck).[/li]
[li]It is near YongKangJie. Very good food[/li][/ul]

I think the decadence of NTNU comes from it’s per-established fame from the days when it was the best and only Mandarin training center in Taiwan. And now it doesn’t need to do a lot of effort to attract new students.

Edit: forgot about racist element.

3 Likes

I studied there mostly for a visa while I was trying to get stuff in order as I applied to grad school. I will say that for advanced level student, it has little to offer, but I don’t hold any antipathy toward the school (which is good, since I did three years of graduate work in the same building).

Your opinion is totally valid. I’d caution, however, that what you get out of the school depends very much on what you want to get out of it. It’s probably a lot better for beginning Chinese learners than advanced ones.

To be fair, no one really does much for advanced students. There’s just no market, and even if you consider that there are some people looking for that, they all have wildly different needs at that point in their Mandarin studies. It just doesn’t make economic sense to offer those classes, sadly.

I’ve been to 5 different schools in Taiwan. Shida, Wenhua, TLI, IHI, and one other.

Price is slightly different between the schools.

They are all sluggish, some more sluggish than others.

All schools have good teachers, and bad teachers. One time, me and 3 others in class walked out immediately after the first class and requested to move to a different class because the teacher was so bad. The larger schools seem to have older teachers set in the ways that aren’t current on life and tend to be generation behind on both content and presentation. The newer smaller schools get younger teachers, with energy, zest, drive, and more modern content.

One of the biggest problems is the book (PAVC: Practical Audio Visual Chinese) that all the schools use is a generation old, nearly 20 years. I know a couple of the writers. They were writing it when the most important thing to discuss was fruit, not internet and Facebook. Sad fact, and I don’t see anything coming new on the horizon.

It’s really had a negative impact on my learning. But, vice versa, I have friends that have excelled in this environment at all of the same schools.

I really like using online sites and apps from China. They are CURRENT and USEFULL! Topics we all use every day. I listen to one today, and use it today, which helps be remember it.

It would be difficult for me to recommend someone come to Taiwan to learn Chinese. Unless they are very shy and timid and need the protective safe secure environment that is such a wonderful aspect of Taiwan. I would suggest they to to China, be sure and include traditional as well as simplified in their learning, and get a hook into the huge potential of meeting people and future opportunities that is China, and not so much at all anymore in Taiwan.

Oh, and the Bopomofo is stupid and useless in anyplace but Taiwan. Learn in China, or any other country, and you learn skills and techniques that the rest of the world is using.

1 Like

I studied at ICLP in 2006 and they were still bpmf-ing us. When I went to MTC in 2009, the two teachers asked what method we wanted, and everyone said pinyin, so they went with that. I think most teachers have realized the importance of teaching in pinyin at this point.

1 Like

I studied there as a beginner and I’m told I have good pronunciation. But, God, humans aren’t designed to deal with that level of boredom. :laughing:

I made the most progress in private academies in China, mainly the Korean and Japanese ones. They treat you as a customer and because Chinese is easier for Koreans, you are forced to move at a faster pace. Lots of Korean and Asian business people studying there who actually need to learn Chinese as fast as possible as a business language, so great for advanced learners. No academy in Taipei has advanced classes, which is a shame.

Some slogans for Taiwan, especially when it comes to learning the language:

“China Lite”
“Next Stop: China”
“Learn it Here, Perfect it in China”
etc.

There is money for the first people who can open a buxiban offering really practical Mandarin instruction. And visas, I suppose. That’s always the issue.

So if that is the case, what language schools do you recommend in Taiwan? How about CLD NTU or MLC wenhua?
I’ve always thought learning chinese is better in Taiwan since the number of students in classrooms are usually limited to 10 compared to maybe 20 in China. Is there some spesific reason why China is the better place? Thanks before.

For high level students I see 3 options

1. ICLP at NTU. $$$ but I hear good things from my friends with the scratch to study there
  2. Take the highest level Shida/NTU CLD/whatever course while spending most of your time outside of class on your own language learning activities
  3. Just do a degree program geared towards local students.

The language centers can only teach so much because there is only so much Chinese one can learn before you’re getting into field-specific material.
I mean, if you’re in the highest class already, you’re probably pretty decent at Chinese. What more do you want to learn? What scenario are you in where your Chinese is insufficient? Want to read the classics? Go major in 國文 alongside Taiwanese students. Learning Chinese for business? Take classes in 企管 or just work for a Taiwanese company. etc etc Want to make friends with Taiwanese people? Do whatever hobby you originally had, but in Taiwan.

1 Like

They are definitely the rudest. 15 years ago I went in to NTNU to get an application and had it thrown at me. I threw it back and walked out. WenHua is just as good. ICLP and TLI are good for higher level study and privates.

The best teacher is yourself.

Having been through ICLP (way back in 2006), I can tell you that while it is better than MTC, you should not set your expectations too high. There is only so much a teacher can do in the restrictive classroom environment of Taiwanese and Chinese education.

I can’t recommend a specific school, since it depends so much whether or not you land on a good teacher.
Probably the best school to study Chinese in Taiwan is one that is cheap, gives you a visa and doesn’t take too much of your time.

Bottom line
In Taiwan they teach you Chinese with the same methodology they teach themselves English. If you rely on it, you will spend years without end wasting time, money, energy and never learn the damned language.

Been to 5 schools in Taiwan.

The school where I had the best teachers, Wenhua.

The school where I had the worst teachers, Shida.

Never had the pleasure of attending the NTNU program, but I’d always heard consistently bad things about it, and their textbooks are truly atrocious.

Thread hijack.

Is NTU CLP that much better than NTNU for a beginner?

Is it worth studying in Tapei, compared to a place like NSYSU in Kaohsuing, or Tunghai in Taichung (see, I’ve been reading my Forumosa posts : ) ).

What’s available on the east coast, besides Tzu Chi?

[quote=“Chesh1re”]Thread hijack.

Is NTU CLP that much better than NTNU for a beginner?

Is it worth studying in Tapei, compared to a place like NSYSU in Kaohsuing, or Tunghai in Taichung (see, I’ve been reading my Forumosa posts : ) ).

What’s available on the east coast, besides Tzu Chi?[/quote]

For a beginner to Taiwan, Taipei is highly recommended. Transportation is convenient, many people speak English, lots of stuff to do…
For a beginner to Chinese, I think pretty much any licensed school is good. Tip: if you are a beginner, it’s really important to have a 1-on-1 tutor to correct your pronunciation.

How about MLC ? Anyone ever been study in MLC or heard about it from other friends who studied there?
I would like to apply in MLC but it would be better if I have some opinion…

Thank you

I went to ntnu mtc in the summer program. The teacher that I had was good. The only thing that bothered me was that some younger students always took up so much time to talk about themselve. Because they saw it more as a holiday fun time. While I just wanted to go there and study the language. Not socialize with people during the classtimes.