Options for adults wanting to go back to uni

Not sure which subforum to put this in.

Last year I married the love of my life. She’s amazing and cool in every way, and we’re really happy together. For reasons that I am not 100% sure of (but I suspect neglect), her parents didn’t allow her to enter university after high school and she instead got a job as a dental assistant. In Taiwan, that’s a minimum wage job, and she never had the resources to go to uni herself.

Now that we’re together, we can take another look at this. The problem is that Taiwan seems to be only set up to allow high school students to apply to universities; I am not sure that individual Taiwanese people can even apply to a university without going through a high school. And then there’s the matter of taking the 學測 exam…

Does anyone know what the options are in Taiwan for an adult wanting to go back to school? Ideally without having to do the full-time, live in the dorms thing that 18 year olds do.

1 Like

If parents are controlling an adult married person, that’s the root of the problem. Otherwise, everyone is welcome in university. University is a business, like any other. Especially here. They welcome your money. Especially now! If a foreigner tries from another country, they even pay you to come here and study. It’s a pretty decent racket, though many schools aren’t very high up the quality scale. That’s to be determined by you guys.

Best to take care of the family oppression before setting off on actual goals in life :slight_smile: As sad as that is to say.

You are aware that there are now vastly more spots available in Taiwan’s universities than there are young people able to fill those spots? Getting in somewhere will not be a problem. The key however will be for your partner to determine what program she wants—and to come up with a plan to make that work.

The part time thing you mentioned though . . . there are a lot of credits, typically, to fulfill almost all bachelor programs. Could this be done part time? If so, it’ll take a long time . . .

Guy

3 Likes

Pretty sure he’s just saying the parents didn’t send her to university when she was 18, not that they’re still preventing her now.

3 Likes

If that’s the case, easy peasy. They are all desperate for your business in Taiwan now! The hard part is finding a quality education, not so much finding an official education to take your money and print a degree. And the good ones have actual entrance requirements, so make sure she is up to snuff.

Your partner went to high school, didn’t she?

1 Like

Going through =Applying through

He wants to know how to apply to a university as a mature student.

7 Likes

I dated a girl a few times who was studying an evening program for adults, it was her first degree

I think processes are slow to change, at universities generally and in Taiwan specifically, but there must be other places currently set up for this. And as @afterspivak mentions, universities are hurting for students. I can recommend a few places in Kaohsiung that do this, though I can’t speak to quality.

As suggested, she can consider what programs she might be interested in. Also, just contact universities directly, physically go there if possible

2 Likes

Sorry for being unclear, I meant that her parents didn’t allow her to attend uni when she was 18. Now they can say or do whatever they want and we don’t care. Also, I didn’t say it earlier, but she is Taiwanese.

And actually, now that we’re talking about it, she didn’t go to a “high school”, she went to a “technical school”. If I understand correctly, students from 高職schools typically can’t go to university.

But you (plural) are right about schools in Taiwan really hurting for students. Maybe we can find one who will accept her anyway.

Yeah. The time commitment is really killer. We’re not getting any younger, you know, and the idea of having an unpaid full time job for four years is… Painful to say the least. All the stress and restrictions of work with none of the fun of money! And she might even have to live on campus!

So we’re looking into part time, but also hoping there will be some kind of testing-out system where she could use the knowledge gained in the workplace to get some credits. A lot of American universities will do that, don’t know about Taiwan.

My own spouse went to a technical/vocational school (junior college) and had just transferred to a full fledged university degree to get a Bachelor’s when we started dating (many years ago). To make that jump, a transfer exam was needed – which always sounded to me like the Entrance Exam high school graduates take to go to college

1 Like

This article looks interesting

The JCEE is the entrance exam. So start there and look up the transfer exam equivalent. Best of luck

3 Likes

I think the National Open University is exactly what the OP is describing.

If her English is good, you could look at distance learning options. I’ve gone back to University to study Computer Science with the University of London via a distance learning program. There are plenty of options out there depending on her interests.

2 Likes

Cheers for the clarification. Apologies if i didn’t register it earlier.

As an aside, you can literally show up, with cash, and join their classes. If the goal is education, that is still very much an acceptable thing (money in hand). You wouldn’t get credit (ie. A degree), but if the goal is gaining experience/education this is in no way an issue as far as attending classes at a university. Unless they are really full, which is more likely at a reputable company. Worth noting what the goals are, as many universities are utter crap now. So do some leg work if the actual education is the goal. If a degree is in order, then probably some others can chime in on the process, but I feel most are still a company and require an income. Should be easy. Might require a couple standardized tests to let them retain face/standards and “prove” she is acceptable to their fine institution.

Me, and many I know, “enroll” in classes here, out of pocket, just to gain access to their resources (library, digital, laboratories, networking etc). They seem quite happy to take any money they can find. Most universities in Taiwan also very much run consulting rackets. If you have a company, there are other ways to cooperate with them without having to take unnecessary courses.

Basically, Taiwan is open for business :slight_smile: just pick and choose which route is more preferred for her situation :slight_smile: Taiwan remains proud, so the wording and game play needs to be a bit more romantic than how I word things :innocent: but make no mistake they are super desperate. Not just for dollars, but also for face. You have a lot of negotiating skill unless it’s one of the very few top universities here like NTU.

4 Likes

Luckily you’ll never be a mother :wink::blush:.

Go on you though for looking for options for your SO, seems like you two will do well.

You were clear.

1 Like

Most Taiwanese get ready for this test at local buxibans, which cover test taking strategies, content, etc. Classes are usually evening.

Seems to me that in this case it would be a good investment, as they would have information regarding entrance requirements. Moreover, many older adults are actually attending these buxibans, as testing for a license is required for many professions, from taxi drivers to travel agents, so she may stand out in her class but not in the school overall.

2 Likes

Well, if university doesn’t work out for her, you can take solace in the fact that the only difference if she got her degree is that instead of working a minimum wage job at a dental office, she’d be working a minimum wage job at a regular office. And maybe get a $10k raise after working for 10 years.

1 Like

Have you met anyone, at any time, in Taiwan who is a graduate of this institution? I mean it’s possible that this place is awesome. But in terms of societal reach, impact, etc . . . it’s not a place that immediately springs to mind.

Why do you say that? Dorm spots are usually competitive, not mandatory.

Guy