Options for alcoholic/drug addiction treatment for foreigners in Taiwan

My two cents. Met a friend of a friend, drunk already at 6 pm and still quaffing Scotch. Said he had to leave for a tutorial with a little girl. He staggered to his scooter and nobody knew what to do. Never saw him again. I also have friend who drinks two bottles of wine nightly and smokes two packs a day. Functional alcoholic, but quits cold turkey every time he goes home to the US (it’s a secret from his family). So willpower can work.

He also was sober for six months under the care of a strict psychiatrist. So, medical professionals can help, if the person is willing.

Regarding drug use in Taiwan, I’ve heard from many locals that it’s much much more common than we assume. Weed is popular, but so is ketamine abuse (one principal from Pingtung mentioned that several families were afflicted with this and other drug dependencies). Then there’s the (better, but still fairly open) prescription drug dispensary system in Taiwan.

AA should, in theory, work. Cold turkey and self-accountability seems to work best.

AhDohGah, how did you pick that name, AhDohGah?

I have a long and sharp nose that is the first thing that most local people notice about me. You know it’s from Taiwanese. By the way the username “AhDohAh” was already taken. I don’t hear the ㄍ sound so much in the South, but it’s more commonly included in the North. I feel I can take back the slur and own it, although I’ll get in the face of anyone who uses it “against” me.

1 Like

:+1::v::clap:

1 Like

Indeed, I’ve been know to say 「ㄌㄧ ㄍㄨㄥ ㄒㄧㄚ ㄒㄧㄠ」, but explained in a teacherly way that it is an antiquated and offensive term. Better to say 「國際朋友」or something similar. I’ve also responded with 「ㄏㄢ ㄐㄧ ㄚ」 as in 地瓜阿 (Taiwanese slur for Taiwanese people, due to past poverty in Taiwan and reliance on sweet potatoes, as is common in 地瓜粥). Leave it to the Taiwanese to create a slur for themselves, says a cracker-@ssed honkey.

I’ve even uttered 「ㄏㄨㄢ ㄚ」or 「ㄍㄚ ㄌㄟ」 or “savage” during some incredibly rude local encounters, although I don’t accept these as terms for aboriginals. Taiwan aboriginals are a noble and generous people who are close to my heart. I recommend reading the history of aboriginals in Taiwan. 麻豆 (Matou) is famous for the 碗粿 or 文旦 specialties, it was a strong aboriginal capital. Such… I’m to used to lecturing :sweat: Goodnight!

Matt Talbot was a very influential priest and man in the area I grew up .He is still very much respected . I think he may have founded the pioneer movement which is when people used to wear a pin in their jacket to indicate they were teetotal, as the social pressure to drink back then and now in Ireland was very hard to resist.

1 Like

5 Likes

Careful. Quitting cold turkey can kill a person depending on their level of physical dependence. They might have to have a bit of booze to stabilize them in order to get to a medical detox center. However, your friend seems like he’s not to that level yet - just wanted to make that clear to anyone reading.

3 Likes
  1. Besides not letting them have access and letting them know you’re worried for them and care about them, only they can decide to seek help for themselves. You can’t force people to quit, even if they clearly need it.

2. There are quite a few good English-speaking AA meetings in Taiwan, linked above. I agree with TaiwanGuy1 that AA in general be pushy about books, but finding a community of English-speaking people who share the desire to quit is invaluable. Look past the books and the rituals to find meaning in people’s stories and commonalities with your story.

3. If your friend is severely physically dependent, they’ll need a medical detox in a hospital. Like people said above, DO NOT go to weird non-medical places. Medical detox followed by rehab is needed.

I’ve gone to AA but don’t know about detox or rehab places. If someone’s really in need, though, let me know. I’m good at researching this stuff, and I’d like to help and be there for anyone who needs it.

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning this. I wish I could edit my post. I would never recommend cold turkey for alcoholics (I was thinking of cigarettes or soft drugs at that moment and regret my wording). You need to phase out alcohol over a series of weeks (depending on the severity). For hard cases, physicians might recommend six weeks or more, and watching for symptoms of the DTs, which could be fatal. For less intensive cases, cutting your intake quantity and gradually weaning off with beer (instead of harder liquor) can work. Accountability is a HUGE help as well.

P.S. is there any way a moderator could delete that part of my previous post? I can’t seem to edit it.

2 Likes

@KongTaigi No worries! Glad we could clarify!

@KongTaigi it looks like the little pencil icon next to the heart, flag, etc. will let you edit. Do you have one?

No. It seems to have disappeared for that post, as well as other posts over a few days old. Is there a time restriction?

Screenshot_20180821-203312

I was recently abroad and think someone spiked my drink. A friend said he thinks it was cocaine based on how I acted. Now I’m here on day 3 of trying to get back to normal and feel like I’m going insane and little control over my body…

I don’t know where to go or who to talk to to make this any easier. Planning to check out the community center someone mentioned but I just need some help…

I can’t let anyone, job or gf know about this or else they’ll end. Is there help out there…

Example is I slept 10 hours then woke up feeling way too energetic and slightly numb in extremities and face.

1 Like

No one spikes with cocaine that I know of and the effects wouldn’t be long lasting. Usual suspects are LSD and Ketamine but you’d have had altered state experiences with those.

My one piece of advice: do lots of Vitamin C. 1000mg fizzy tabs.

Thank you so much. All I had was a water bottle with me while occasional alcohol. Whatever was done must have been dissolved we think.

I have some fizzy tabs I guess drink one every few hours? I don’t know what I have but I can’t thank you enough for responding. I’m shuttering with occasional spasm atm… thank you

If you’re having actual medical issues though you should see a doctor. Run a blood test and see if anything’s up.

Are you prone to panic attacks or have a history of any other medical conditions? I second what @the_bear said. It sounds weird that any substance would last in your system for 3 days (plus, who would do that and why?). You could be having a psychotic episode or experiencing some other kind of medical issue. I’d go to a doctor ASAP.

1 Like

Methamphetamine could last 3 days, although you wouldn’t sleep for 10 hours.

Sounds more likely to be a medical condition.

2 Likes

Before you slept for 10 hours how were you feeling?