Orchid Island and Taipower's Nuclear Waste

Interestingly, or rather unfortunately and tragically, that’s how the Orchid Island Nuclear Waste dump started. The government never told the islanders what the construction project was for, and for a while they lied to, and told it’s going to be a factory that will bring jobs to the island.

3 Likes

What do you mean, “the local residents blocked the procedure…” What “procedure” exactly, and why and how did they “block” it?

The local governments didn’t do a referendum to decide a site.

Holy moly Batman, I think there are a few jokers in the judiciary and some real sleepwalkers at Taipower. They must know how to shrug and raise their eyebrows on cue. There is nothing more finessed than old school Taiwanese evasion/corruption… Amazing: how many years they can play and dance with musical chairs in front of an empty auditorium, choreographing a metaphorical spooky-kabuki named, “How To Do Diddly-Squat”.

Some lawyers and technocrats earn huge salaries for this skilful form of intransigent buck-passing. But dare dance with the devil, eventually you go to hell…

1 Like

Two sites, one in Wuqiu, Kimmen and the other in Daren, Taidong, were selected to be potential sites for low leverl nuclear waste storage. The law now requires an local referendum for this sort of things to go through. The locals absolutely would not even entertain the idea, so they forced the local government to not even go ahead with the referendums. I suppose they fear if such a referendum is held, some outside influence could “somehow” sway some of the locals. The referendum would be a county wide referendum, and these are pretty small villages, which means plenty of people would get to vote without even living near the site. They might be able to receive the benefits without suffering the consequences.

The latter—Daren (達仁鄉)—is another Indigenous community.

Anyone notice a pattern in Taipower’s thinking?

Guy

1 Like

They claimed this time the sites were selected after years of geological survey, and these two places have relatively more stable geology.

There ain’t no place safe in Taiwan for nuclear waste

I nominate Keelung islet the little tiny island off the coast of wanli /Keelung

I suppose the rods could be useful for plutonium extraction though