Ordering plant products from overseas

I want to order a particular herbal remedy from Germany. According to the airport signs, one can’t bring plant products into the country. If I order this product, will it be quarantined, confiscated, dutied, or what?

Confiscated.

If they were dutied they would then be allowed in.

If it has been processed enough to kill any possible pests they might let it in. :idunno: They wouldn’t stop a bottle of aloe vera lotion, for instance. But a brick of dried leaves might get you in trouble.

Vay -
PM me the details if you want. I might be able to help or make a recommendation with this matter.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]If it has been processed enough to kill any possible pests they might let it in. :idunno: They wouldn’t stop a bottle of aloe vera lotion, for instance. But a brick of dried leaves might get you in trouble.[/quote]Even the lotion might be a problem. They don’t seem to be very keen on letting cosmetic-type stuff in, so for example my mum wasn’t allowed to send me some home-made hand cream from the UK. Packages from the UK often get opened by Taiwan Customs, too.

If you have a couple of spare years you can try and decipher the Government’s legal restrictions on importing plants

baphiq.gov.tw/lp.asp?ctNode= … DSD=7&mp=2

Thanks for the link, llama_lout.

I don’t have any experience in such things, and it all looks pretty complicated to me, but to judge from surfing the Internet, it appears that there are companies that ship plant parts overseas.

For example, this British company claims to ship seeds overseas; this American company makes the same claim; this Indian company says it exports cut roses; and this Chinese company says it exports herbal medicines.

I wrote all that only to say that the shipping of some kinds of plant parts overseas apparently does take place.

The Council of Agriculture keeps a list of plants and plant parts that are prohibited. The list, dated June 2007, is located here, in the form of a Word for Windows document.

On one of its Web pages, Fedex has some discussion of restrictions and requirements for importing plants and animals to Taiwan. The page is located here.

“Phytosanitary certificate” is a term that’s repeatedly mentioned on the Internet concerning shipping plants overseas.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency Web page, located here, tells what a phytosanitary certificate is:

Of course I don’t know enough about such things to be able to say whether what the OP wants to do can be done in his particular case. I’m only saying that it appears to be something that is regularly done as to some kinds of plant products or plant parts.

Hope this somehow helps, or at least does no harm.

Plant products are live plants or seeds … not medicine or processed, these can be brought in in portions for personal use …

Plant products need to be declared when imported and go in quarantine it costs time and money and paperwork

In case anyone cares, I took a risk, ordered the stuff and it came through no sweat. Enlarged prostate, your days are numbered!

Glad to hear that. I’ve been thinking of placing a mail order purchase for plant products myself. :wink: