Original Star Trek 星際爭霸戰 Series on local TV

Just watched the DS9’s tribute to original Trek. It was awesome and hilarious and technically astounding.

Sisko mentions that he wanted to ask Kirk about his fight with the Gorn.

Been watching season 1 on Netflix. Hadn’t watched Star Trek in years, and I had forgotten just how strong the first season is.

I had forgotten that the original ship’s doctor was the great character actor Paul Fix, who along with consultant/prop-man and former sheriff Wyatt Earp and director John Ford helped young John Wayne model Wayne’s iconic American West hero (Fix came up with Wayne’s rolling gait).

The original first exec. officer wasn’t Spock, it was Number One played by Majel Barrett, who eventually became the wife of series creator Gene Roddenberry. Barrett was also the voice of the ship’s computer throughout the series run.

Even the crappy sounding episodes from s1 are good. I almost skipped Miri because the synopsis sounded so dumb, but it was much better than I remembered it (also has Kim Darby, John Megna - the gimp from To Kill A Mockingbird, and Michael J Pollard). I thought Harvey Hart’s direction of another silly-sounding one, Mudd’s Women, was really good and so is the ep.

Anyway, I had forgotten just how good it is and how well it stands up.

1 Like

The version showing nightly on MOD has been updated from the original version and is very clear with crisp colors.

The Netflix one is also in HD and crystal clear. Hard to believe that NBC was so short sighted that it cancelled TOS in 1969, after just 3 seasons. It stands the test of time much better than most television programs from that time. (a peer from the same time period that does pretty well at standing the test of time imo is The Wild Wild West, btw)

1 Like

Sumpun happnen here tonight

2 Likes

I grew up in America where there was always a station airing the original series from the '70’s on. I remember hearing there were only 6 seasons or so of this original series produced and couldn’t believe it.
tribbles

I think original is 3 seasons.

Captain Kirk loses his hair and Spock grows a beard.

Trouble with Tribble’s!!! Now.

c773e9169d8b9590e90590d9e192dd59

If you have the means, make sure you also watch Deep Space Nine’s “Trials and Tribblations.” Great time travel episode that interweaves DS9 characters with this original series episode. (This is the episode @Icon referred to upthread.)

The very recent Short Trek “The Trouble with Edward” (probably just available on the high seas here) is a moderately good origin story of the tribbles.

Star Trek was so good at flipping moods, comedic to dark, from episode to episode. Not something we see much in this era of shorter, more tightly plotted seasons.

One of the first Star Trek books I bought was how The Trouble with Tribbles was done, by David Gerrold. I strongly recommend you guys read it, it is a hoot. Hilarious.

1 Like

Spock, Leonard Nimoy, was at the height of his acting game last night. Great stuff.

1 Like

Nazi Kirk and Nazi Spock. Tonight was an odd one.

1 Like

Shirtless Leonard Nemoy!!! Chest rug alert!!! :heart_eyes:

I think they all did the hair chest removal. Kirk William Shatner did anyway.

Noo noooo I have this mental image of Spock’s chest rug.

Alrighty then. Kirk out.

I think in the 60s it wasn’t that popular for actors to shave their chests. Sigh.

Very high rated episode tonight.

1 Like