• “Slumdog Millionaire” Anthony Dod Mantle

BEST DIRECTOR

• “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” David Fincher
  • “Frost/Nixon” Ron Howard
  • “Milk” Gus Van Sant
  • “The Reader” Stephen Daldry
  • “Slumdog Millionaire” Danny Boyle

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

• “The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)” (Cinema Guild), A Pandinlao Films Production, Ellen Kuras and Thavisouk Phrasavath
  • “Encounters at the End of the World” (THINKFilm and Image Entertainment), A Creative Differences Production, Werner Herzog and Henry Kaiser
  • “The Garden” A Black Valley Films Production, Scott Hamilton Kennedy
  • “Man on Wire” (Magnolia Pictures), A Wall to Wall Production, James Marsh and Simon Chinn
  • “Trouble the Water” (Zeitgeist Films), An Elsewhere Films Production, Tia Lessin and Carl Deal

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

• “The Baader Meinhof Complex” A Constantin Film Production, Germany
  • “The Class” (Sony Pictures Classics), A Haut et Court Production, France
  • “Departures” (Regent Releasing), A Departures Film Partners Production, Japan
  • “Revanche” (Janus Films), A Prisma Film/Fernseh Production, Austria
  • “Waltz with Bashir” (Sony Pictures Classics), A Bridgit Folman Film Gang Production, Israel

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

• “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” Alexandre Desplat
  • “Defiance” James Newton Howard
  • “Milk” Danny Elfman
  • “Slumdog Millionaire” A.R. Rahman
  • “WALL-E” Thomas Newman

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

• “Down to Earth” from “WALL-E” Music by Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman, Lyric by Peter Gabriel
  • “Jai Ho” from “Slumdog Millionaire” Music by A.R. Rahman, Lyric by Gulzar
  • “O Saya” from “Slumdog Millionaire” Music and Lyric by A.R. Rahman andMaya Arulpragasam

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

• “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton and Craig Barron
  • “The Dark Knight” Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Tim Webber and Paul Franklin
  • “Iron Man” John Nelson, Ben Snow, Dan Sudick and Shane Mahan

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

• “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” Screenplay by Eric Roth, Screen story by Eric Roth and Robin Swicord
  • “Doubt” Written by John Patrick Shanley
  • “Frost/Nixon” Screenplay by Peter Morgan
  • “The Reader” Screenplay by David Hare
  • “Slumdog Millionaire” Screenplay by Simon Beaufoy

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

• “Frozen River” Written by Courtney Hunt
  • “Happy-Go-Lucky” Written by Mike Leigh
  • “In Bruges” Written by Martin McDonagh
  • “Milk” Written by Dustin Lance Black
  • “WALL-E” Screenplay by Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon, Original story by Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter

My vote:

Slumdog Millionaire for Best Picture.

An outstanding motion picture on all levels.

Especially liked the dance number at the end… :wink:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]My vote:

Slumdog Millionaire for Best Picture.

An outstanding motion picture on all levels.

Especially liked the dance number at the end… :wink:[/quote]

Sure, great movie, especially the first half. Later on I thought the story is a bit too thin and repetitive to keep up the full attention. But overall a joy to see. My guess however is that The Curious Case of Benjamin Button will win Best Picture but Slumdog Millionaire will surely get some of the other prizes.

Pffft, yet again I’ve been left off. I smell a conspiracy.

I’ve not seen The Reader yet, but I’ve seen all the others up for best picture. If I was deciding between the four I would go with Frost/Nixon but either Milk or Slumdog would be fine too.

I thought Benjamin Button was a load of melodramatic slop with absolutely terrible pacing.

Don’t like spongebob millionaire. Milk and Sean Penn are pure class. I hope Penn wins. Streep for best actress. I wanna know who Tomei is banging to get another Oscar nod. Especially since the wrestler was so dull. However, we did finally get to see her rocking boobs. (Sorry to be such a slime but I have had this desire for Tomei for the longest time.) I would have had Wall-E as a nail on cert but then KungFu Panda went and won that other award last week. Heath Ledger is a cast iron shoe in even though Downey Jnr is just one of the best actors of any generation. Ben Button is everything that is wrong with American cinema today. Kate Blanched Keks has gone from being a super actress to being, well, bland.

My ten pence worth.

I have to get out more, I think I only saw 3 or 4 of these movies.

Yeah, same here. Very odd, but I blame Hollywood. Most of the titles on the nominations list just didn’t look appealing. BenButton looked like a yawner. Special effects don’t save movies IMO. Ironman? We grow weary of comic book adaptations. And so on.

I’ll be rooting for Ledger. And Wall-E.

I had no high expectations of IRONMAN, but it turned out to be quite good and worth watching. Entertaining it was. KungFu Panda is a MUST SEE. Its an adult cartoon. IN BRUGES is really quite good, simple and easy going plot but full of human-ness. The struggles of everyday killers are much like those of us everyday workers . And THE DARK KNIGHT was nonstop action. Its not a movie I want to see twice, its quite dark . There arent many redeeming qualities.

I hadn’t even HEARD of In Bruges until now. :doh:

I saw IN BRUGES at the Elmwood theatre in Berkeley some time ago before it was starting to get much attention. The Elmwood shows a lot of indie films. In fact I think I saw it in December of 2007. So its been awhile. But my GF and I thought that it was worth seeing. Its very human. We had no clue what it was about and just sort of stumbled through it but it was really quite well done. Do see it, its worth it.

KungFu Panda is everybit as good as Finding NEmo and Ratatuille (sp). In fact I just got KungFun Panda on DVD tonite with netflix and am about to see it again (saw it in the movie house when it came out).

My GF saw THE DARK KNIGHT something like 4 times because she is so in love with Keith Ledgers performance. But since it was such a dark film, im starting to wonder if theres more to her then I thought?? haha.

Ironman is just good fun. I like the R8 in it. And I got to drive a real R8 so that was kinda fun. Ironman is sort of like BAtman and James Bond rolled into one. Cool toys, gadgets , fast cars, planes , etc coupled with pretty girls (I like his secretary, who wouldnt?)

Yeah, same here. Very odd, but I blame Hollywood. Most of the titles on the nominations list just didn’t look appealing. BenButton looked like a yawner. Special effects don’t save movies IMO. Ironman? We grow weary of comic book adaptations. And so on.

I’ll be rooting for Ledger. And Wall-E.[/quote]

One of my coworkers already saw The Curious case of Benjamin Button… in a DVD sent from China! :laughing: Gosh, that’s efficiency.

She found it to be lacking, not interesting at all. She prefered Slumdog -same source.

I’m looking forward to Milk and Frost/Nixon, but I like that kind of historical stuff.

[quote=“Icon”]One of my coworkers already saw The Curious case of Benjamin Button… in a DVD sent from China! :laughing: Gosh, that’s efficiency.

She found it to be lacking, not interesting at all. She prefered Slumdog -same source.[/quote]

“Plodding”, “ultimately pointless”, “curiously listless, with all of its passion apparently expended on its technical feats”, “emotionally half baked”, – sorry, but Hollywood needs to do better than that if they want three hours of my time.

Dark Knight, Kungfu Panda and Wall-E were all great entertainment.

[quote=“It is me again”]The nominations are:

BEST PICTURE

• “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”
  • “Frost/Nixon”
  • “Milk”
  • “The Reader”
  • “Slumdog Millionaire”

BEST ACTOR

• Richard Jenkins in “The Visitor”
  • Frank Langella in “Frost/Nixon”
  • Sean Penn in “Milk”
  • Brad Pitt in “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”
  • Mickey Rourke in “The Wrestler”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

• Josh Brolin in “Milk”
  • Robert Downey Jr. in “Tropic Thunder”
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Doubt”
  • Heath Ledger in “The Dark Knight”
  • Michael Shannon in “Revolutionary Road”

BEST ACTRESS

• Anne Hathaway in “Rachel Getting Married”
  • Angelina Jolie in “Changeling”
  • Melissa Leo in “Frozen River”
  • Meryl Streep in “Doubt”
  • Kate Winslet in “The Reader”

[/quote]

Well. I also did not see all of these movies.
But, I think “The Reader” is really very good, "Revolutionary Road” is one of the best movies in a long time, and
“Slumdog Millionaire” is so so.

Ok, on Tommy’s recommendation we saw Iron Man last night. Yeah, good fun. Dark Knight was better, IMO, but then again, I’ll take bats and a dark, serious film over camp and the clash of robot titans any day.

You have got to see IN BRUGES> its a serious film thats very human. Dont miss it.

In Bruges restaurant scene. Just 1 of a thousand reasons to watch this flick…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q5lq9eL31g

The winners:

Picture - Slumdog Millionaire
Director - Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
Actor - Sean Penn, Milk
Actress - Kate Winslet, The Reader
Supporting Actor - Heath Ledger, Dark Knight
Supporting Actress - Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Original Screenplay - Milk
Adapted Screenplay - Slumdog Millionaire

Documentary Feature - Man on Wire
Foreign Language Feature - Departures (Japan)
Animated Feature - Wall-E

Cinematography - Slumdog Millionaire
Art Direction - Benjamin Button
Costume Design - Duchess
Make-Up - Benjamin Button
Visual Effects - Benjamin Button
Sound Editing - Dark Knight
Sound Mixing - Slumdog Millionaire
Editing - Slumdog Millionaire

Original Score - Slumdog Millionaire
Original Song - Jai Ho, Slumdog Millionaire

[quote=“It is me again”]The winners: