As far as I know, overeating cannot lead to choking oneself to death. According to Taipei times, that’s exactly what happened to man at a seafood restaurant. Weigh in.
Everything has its limit.
The place was an all-you-can-eat seafood restaurant. The catch was that you are given a limited number of minutes to eat your meal, e.g., 120 minutes. If you want the most for your money, a lot of people tend to stuff themselves - this may lead to choking. The argument against the restaurant was that the imposed time limit may have contributed to the accident.
I’m going to file a law suit againt the city for spraining my ankle trying to rush across the street before the light turned red.
Isn’t the phrase “Chi Bao Le” literally “filled with food” The story below does seem to be the natural conclusion to a complete filling and closing off of the food and air inlet. I can’t really work out how you’d apply first aid either. Grab a broom handle and try and ram the food further down or push on the stomach to try and release some food then clear the airway?
I think you’d have to try the incision in the throat thing and insert a hollow tube.
How to Perform an Emergency Tracheotomy
This procedure, technically called a cricothyroidotomy, should be undertaken only when a person with a throat obstruction is not able to breathe at all-no gasping sounds, no coughing-and only after you have attempted to perform the Heimlich maneuver three times without dislodging the obstruction. If possible, someone should call for paramedics while you proceed.
What you will need
* A first aid kit, if available * A razor blade or very sharp knife * A straw (two would be better) or a ballpoint pen with the inside (ink-filled tube) removed. If neither a straw nor a pen is available, use stiff paper or cardboard rolled into a tube. Good first aid kits may contain "trache" tubes.
There will not be time for sterilization of your tools, so do not bother; infection is the least of your worries at this point.
Find the indentation between the Adam's apple and the Cricoid cartilage. Make a half-inch horizontal incision about one half inch deep. Pinch the incision or insert your finger inside the slit to open it. Insert your tube into the incision, roughly one-half to one inch deep.
How to Proceed
- Find the person’s Adam’s apple (thyroid cartilage).
- Move your finger about one inch down the neck until you feel another bulge. This is the cricoid cartilage. The indentation between the two is the cricothyroid membrane, where the incision will be made.
- Take the razor blade or knife and make a half-inch horizontal incision. The cut should be about half an inch deep. There should not be too much blood.
- Pinch the incision open or place your finger inside the slit to open it.
- Insert your tube in the incision, roughly one-half to one inch deep.
- Breathe into the tube with two quick breaths. Pause five seconds, then give one breath every five seconds.
- You will see the chest rise and the person should regain consciousness if you have performed the procedure correctly. The person should be able to breathe on their own, albeit with some difficulty, until help arrives.[/quote]
STAFF WRITER WITH CNA
Thursday, Jul 27, 2006,Page 3
The Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) yesterday criticized all-you-can-eat restaurants after a customer choked to death on seafood at a restaurant with an unlimited buffet. The newspaper said that a 54-year-old man surnamed Yu and his family visited a seafood restaurant on Monday evening in Taipei. He spent about 30 minutes wolfing down several plates of seafood before choking, it said. Yu then died while being rushed to hospital. The paper said the restaurant – which it did not name – indirectly caused the customer’s death because all-you-can-eat restaurants encourage customers to gorge themselves without warning them of the dangers of doing so. The buffet restaurant where Yu died denied responsibility for his death, however: “As a restaurant, we only provide food and service. As to how the customers eat the food, it is none of our business,” a manager from the restaurant said.[/quote]
“The Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) yesterday criticized all-you-can-eat restaurants after a customer choked to death on seafood .
Yu then died while being rushed to hospital”.
I think maybe they should criticize the unequipped ambulances and lack of EMT personnel in them. Iv’e looked inside some of them and most only have an oxygen tank inside.
That’s the dumbest thing I’ve seen in a long time.
Not the fat pig choking to death or his family blaming the restaurant, but the Taipei Times reporting on a story published in their sister publication instead of simply reporting the news directly.
WTF kind of reporting is that? If it’s newsworthy enough to report, can’t they dig up the facts and report it directly instead of through second-hand hearsay which suggests either the TT is not sure of the truth of the story or they didn’t find it important enough to actually look into the facts themself, either of which seems pretty lame for a world-class publication such as the TT.
[quote=“Mother Theresa”]either of which seems pretty lame for a
world-class publication such as the T
Pretty funny MT. Keep them coming.