Overseas taiwanese

Hi
Im an overseas Taiwanese, I have never been to Taiwan before, Im married and got three wonderful children , their ages are 12, 9, and 7. I carry Taiwanese passport for overseas Taiwanese, but my husband got Taiwanese Hu kou and [color=green]tai bao zheng[/color].

My husband is now in China for business , he can live there for as long as he wants, but my kids and I cannot, cause we don’t have [color=green]tai bao zheng[/color]. In order for us to live together in China with thier father, I was told that I must go to Taiwan with the kids to apply for a [color=green]tai bao zheng[/color], and that will take about three years, because we were not born there nor lived there.

I can’t live alone with the kids there in Taiwan, our children can’t quit thier school and go to Taiwan and start from there all over again. How can we get our [color=green]tai bao zheng[/color] without a long waiting period ?

Please If anyone knows what to do send me an email at assini10200@yahoo.com :frowning:

Why don’t you ask the Taiwan Representative Office in the country where you live??

Wouldn’t the officials there have the most accurate and up-to-date information?

Do you now also have another nationality as well? You could go to China on that country’s passport.

You first must have a local Hu Kou and ID card for yourself and your children to get the Tai Bao.

To do that you are required to physically live in Taiwan for a certain residential period.

I had to do this before I got my Tao Boa. I was not born here either.

Thank you so much for your reply, but unfortunately I’ve no other passport than Taiwanese passport. My kids got US passport, I know they will be able to go to China to live there . But that doesn’t sound right, cause kids can’t live their with thier father without me, the problem is me how can I get Tai Bao without staying in taiwan for a long period of time. How many years did you stay in Taiwan to get Tai Bao? can I go to Taiwan and apply for a visa to China without Tai Bao ? Like visiting visa or tourist visa to China ? We can’t live in Taiwan for a long time . Please I need help with that, if I can apply for a chinese visa from Taiwan without applying for Tai Bao , that will be great . Thank you again for your help. :frowning:

[color=blue]Sounds like you have been living in the USA. It would be quicker to apply for US nationality than to become eligible for a ROC ID card.[/color]

Firstly the TAI BAO is not issued by the Taiwan authorities it’s issued by the PRC. You cannot get a Tai Bao unless your first have a current ROC ID card and Hukou. You cannot even visit HK without a Tai Bao.

I do not know the current requirements to resume your ROC ID card but I did 12 months residency as an overseas Chinese then applied for my ID card which takes several weeks more.

Your husband can get a housekeeper in China very cheaply so the kids could go to the international schools there first whilst you get your ID card here.

There is no waiver to obtaining your ID card you must do the physical residential requirement in Taiwan first.

Thank you for your reply, ok let’s say if we go to Taiwan and live there with the children for a year and so, but the kids can’t still go to government school there, cause when my husband asked , he was told in order for the kids to be accepted in government school , they must reside in Taipie for at least sixth month. Our financial situation is not good and we can’t afford for International school there , do you have any idea how much the private school cost there in Taipie? not International school. My kids can speak Chinese , they can get along with Chinese school. Your previous answers were very helpful, I appreciate it.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[quote=“assini10200”]Thank you for your reply, ok let’s say if we go to Taiwan and live there with the children for a year and so, but the kids can’t still go to government school there, cause when my husband asked , he was told in order for the kids to be accepted in government school , they must reside in Taipie for at least sixth month. Our financial situation is not good and we can’t afford for International school there , do you have any idea how much the private school cost there in Taipie? not International school. My kids can speak Chinese , they can get along with Chinese school. Your previous answers were very helpful, I appreciate it.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:[/quote]

When my son came back from Australia he went straight into elementary school here.

Who did you husband ask? I have known foreigners here to put their kids straight into local schools as they couldnt afford the American School Fees either.

My son is now at the American School in Taichung as I live in Alishan so I do not know about Taipei schools.

Thanks for your comment, my husband asked one of the public school in Taipie , and they told him that in order for the kids to be enrolled they must reside in the same disctrict where the school is located for at six months, I think the situation applies for all public schools in Taiwan. Maybe your kids have Hu Kou at the time when they enrolled at the public schools, but my kids don’t have it, they have to wait for a year or so to get thier Hu kou and the permanat residency card ( Tai Boa Zheng).
I 've got no problem moving the family and live in Taiwan for a year to get the (Tai Bao Zhen). But the things is our kids are at school age and I can’t afford for them to lose six month at home without going to school . Just because the school don’t accept student who didn’t reside in the area where is school is located for six month period of time. Please can you confirm for me and ask around to see if the informaiton We got is true or not.
Thank you so much for your help

[quote=“assini10200”]Thanks for your comment, my husband asked one of the public school in Taipie , and they told him that in order for the kids to be enrolled they must reside in the same disctrict where the school is located for at six months, I think the situation applies for all public schools in Taiwan. Maybe your kids have Hu Kou at the time when they enrolled at the public schools, but my kids don’t have it, they have to wait for a year or so to get thier Hu kou and the permanat residency card ( Tai Boa Zheng).
I 've got no problem moving the family and live in Taiwan for a year to get the (Tai Bao Zhen). But the things is our kids are at school age and I can’t afford for them to lose six month at home without going to school . Just because the school don’t accept student who didn’t reside in the area where is school is located for six month period of time. Please can you confirm for me and ask around to see if the informaiton We got is true or not.
Thank you so much for your help[/quote]

My son doesn’t have a Hu Kou as he is a foreigner. He’s on an ARC. He was in Australia for 4 years finished the school year there in December and went straight into school here. Schools cannot refuse children as by law children must attend school.

So if a school tells you your kids can’t come threaten to report the school to the Education Department.

The Tai Boa Zheng is not a Taiwan resident card it’s a travel document to travel to HK and China. You just need to complete your residency to get your ID card.

Why is it that you do not apply for the citizenship of the country your reside in now and just go to China as a citizen of that country?

I live in Saudi Arabia, and the country here doesn’t offer citzenship for forigners. So you mean there is no such a talk that student should complete their six months residency in taiwan to be able to enroll in public school. I wonder why did they school my husband went to to ask told him so? I think private school is more safe than public school , do you have any idea how much prvate school in Taiwan cost ? just regular private school, not international schools.
Thanks

[quote=“assini10200”]I live in Saudi Arabia, and the country here doesn’t offer citzenship for forigners. So you mean there is no such a talk that student should complete their six months residency in taiwan to be able to enroll in public school. I wonder why did they school my husband went to to ask told him so? I think private school is more safe than public school , do you have any idea how much prvate school in Taiwan cost ? just regular private school, not international schools.
Thanks[/quote]

My son enrolled straight into a local school as soon as soon as he arriveds as he had returned from Australia in December and started school straight away. A few weeks to finish semester one then semester 2 after Chinese New Year. Althouhg he could speak Mandarin he could not read and write it very much so spent a lot of time catching up.

I have no idea what private local schools cost apart from the American School in Taichung where my son studies.

Thanks again for your reply, can I have the phone for the public school that your child has registered in it once you arrived to Taiwan, just to make sure that its true, maybe that was before, and now they have implemented a new law. My has said that when he was in Taipie last year to inquire about our paper work, he talked someone from the Department of Education regarding overseas Taiwanese stundents. They told him that kids from outside Taiwan must have at least 6 months residency visa before they enter the school officially. I have another question for you eventhough I made it too long for you , what can of ID does the school require there for the addmission. our kids have dual citizenship, Taiwanese and USA . So which Nationality did you use to enroll your kid at school? And how is the much tuition fee ? I was told that if we are from outside and want to enroll the kids at public school without Hu Kou, there is a fee called Zhan Zhu fei. Our kids won’t be able to have Hu Kou immediately once they arrive Taiwan, they must wait for a period of time and then will be able to get it.
Thanks so much for your help and elaboration,

[quote=“assini10200”]Thanks again for your reply, [color=blue]can I have the phone for the public school that your child has registered in it once you arrived to Taiwan, just to make sure that its true[/color], maybe that was before, and now they have implemented a new law. My has said that when he was in Taipie last year to inquire about our paper work, he talked someone from the Department of Education regarding overseas Taiwanese stundents. They told him that kids from outside Taiwan must have at least 6 months residency visa before they enter the school officially. I have another question for you eventhough I made it too long for you , what can of ID does the school require there for the addmission. our kids have dual citizenship, Taiwanese and USA . So which Nationality did you use to enroll your kid at school? And how is the much tuition fee ? I was told that if we are from outside and want to enroll the kids at public school without Hu Kou, there is a fee called Zhan Zhu fei. Our kids won’t be able to have Hu Kou immediately once they arrive Taiwan, they must wait for a period of time and then will be able to get it.
Thanks so much for your help and elaboration,[/quote]

As I said before my son does not have ROC nationality. He enrolled into a public school on his ARC as an Australian Citizen. There is no reason I would not be telling the truth about this matter.

Many foreigners come here and put their kids straight into local schools. Not all of them can afford the American schools either.

You don’t need to talk to anybody in the Education Department. You just take your kids down to the school and enrol them there. The law in Taiwan states that school age children must be enrolled in school.

Im very sorry, I didn’t mean it that way. I just wanted to make sure before we travel to Taiwan that our kids will be accepted at the public schools, and I want to thank you so much for your great help . I like to know what’s the school curriculum look like at the schools there, and how much is the tuition fee? did you pay ( zhan zhu fee) when you 've first registered your kid? I was told student without a local Hu Kou must pay such a fees , a long with the books fee. Thanks so much for the wonderful information you have provided. :slight_smile:

The school asked as to pay the same as the local kids. I really think it just depends on the school administration. You need to remember I live in Alishan (which is 4 plus hours away from Taipei ) and my son went to the public elementary school here for 5th and 6th grade. There is one government boarding school for junior seinior high school students up here but the standard of education is not that good so my son is now at the private American School in Taichung.

Some of the local private schools also charge just as much as the foreign shools. I would just put your kids into a local school here. Do your children have the Taiwan ID Card? If so the school they would have to attend would need to be in their hukou area I believe. OF course if your use their US passports they should enter on a full visitor visa ( not a landing visa ) and then apply for an ARC.

However as you need to get your ID card before you can apply for the Tai Boa Zheng you need to come here for the required time to get your ID card. Not an easy situation for you but the only way you can then join your husband in China.

As I am an ROC national my son’s ARC was sponsored under family arrangements. However you may also need to check as to who will sponsor your children’s ARC’s.

My kids don’t have anything , they haven’t yet been to Taiwan. So maybe my husband was right, our kids have to wait for a six month until they get thier ID card, and then will be able to register at local schools. Since my husband has all the necessary paper there in Taiwan like ID card, Hu Kou, and Tai Bao Zheng, he might probably sponsor us to enter Taiwan. How long did your son wait to get his ID card? Does that mean without an ID card kids won’t be allowed to enter public schools in Taiwan?
Thank you so much ! :laughing:

[quote=“assini10200”]My kids don’t have anything , they haven’t yet been to Taiwan. So maybe my husband was right, our kids have to wait for a six month until they get thier ID card, and then will be able to register at local schools. Since my husband has all the necessary paper there in Taiwan like ID card, Hu Kou, and Tai Bao Zheng, he might probably sponsor us to enter Taiwan. How long did your son wait to get his ID card? Does that mean without an ID card kids won’t be allowed to enter public schools in Taiwan?
Thank you so much ! :laughing:[/quote]

Just a guess, but if your hubby has an ID card etc, I would think it very likely he could enroll his kids in a local school without delay. I don’t think the hukou thing is as much an issue as it has been made out to be, especially when western foreigners (non-Chinese, non-citizen) have successfully enrolled their kids in schools here.

I think its better for me to contact the public school directly to get the answers from them, it will be faster and more authentic. Can anybody provide me with some public schools phone number? It doesn’t matter which city is the school located ? Thanks! :slight_smile:

[quote=“assini10200”]My kids don’t have anything , they haven’t yet been to Taiwan. So maybe my husband was right, our kids have to wait for a six month until they get thier ID card, and then will be able to register at local schools. Since my husband has all the necessary paper there in Taiwan like ID card, Hu Kou, and Tai Bao Zheng, he might probably sponsor us to enter Taiwan. How long did your son wait to get his ID card? Does that mean without an ID card kids won’t be allowed to enter public schools in Taiwan?
Thank you so much ! :laughing:[/quote]

My son doesn’t have an ID card as he is not a Taiwan citizen. :smiley: :smiley:

SO kids without ID cards can enter the local school system. You cannot be refused access to education here lol.

Thanks sattelite for your great help again, now I got at least some information on registering kids at the public schools, but I still have to make some more research on this matter to get a deep insight on how the education like in Taiwan. My best regard, :slight_smile: