[overstay] What do I do when I leave the country?

I’m married to a local and have overstayed my ARC by 2 weeks. My in-laws tell me that I have to leave the country and re-enter. But from previous posts it seems that I have to go to a TECO in another country to apply for a resident visa to re-enter legally and then apply for my ARC renewal, is that right? If that’s the case, then:

  1. What documents do I have to bring?
  2. Which country would be the best to go to?
  3. Around how much might this cost?
  4. Around how long will this take? (I have 2 young children at home)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!