Overstay

1. That only applies if you are entitled to visa exemption in the first place. many nationalities, e.g. South Africans and Filipinos, are not. Those who are not entitled to visa exemption will likely be punished in some other way, e.g. by being issue only short visas or no visa at all.
  2. Even if you are entitled to visa exemption, you punishment may go beyond the one year’s denial of visa exemption such as giving you short-duration visas or not giving you a visa at all. Various factors may be involved, e.g. the length and circumstances of the overstay.

Hear speaketh the voice of bitter experience.

[quote]Lo Bo To wrote:
They’ll let you back in. You’ll just get a 1 year ban on Visa Exempt Status and pay a fine. Meaning that you have to buy a visa before you come back.

1. That only applies if you are entitled to visa exemption in the first place. many nationalities, e.g. South Africans and Filipinos, are not. Those who are not entitled to visa exemption will likely be punished in some other way, e.g. by being issued only short visas or no visa at all.
  2. Even if you are entitled to visa exemption, you punishment may go beyond the one year’s denial of visa exemption such as giving you short-duration visas or not giving you a visa at all. Various factors may be involved, e.g. the length and circumstances of the overstay.

Hear speaketh the voice of bitter experience.[/quote]

I overstayed, and got a small, black stamp, similar in appearance to my visa extension stamps that says “THE BEARER OF THIS PASSPORT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED TO DEPART FROM THE ROC BEFORE JAN 31 2006”, with a “C” below it. No other stamps though.

I left by said date. Will I be able to get a new visa (for studying, starting July/August) if I present all the necessary documents (needed for a visa) at the TECO office in my city (Johannesburg)?

Very poor judgment on my part to have overstayed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

[quote=“Tinpot Terrorist”][quote]Lo Bo To wrote:
They’ll let you back in. You’ll just get a 1 year ban on Visa Exempt Status and pay a fine. Meaning that you have to buy a visa before you come back.

1. That only applies if you are entitled to visa exemption in the first place. many nationalities, e.g. South Africans and Filipinos, are not. Those who are not entitled to visa exemption will likely be punished in some other way, e.g. by being issued only short visas or no visa at all.

Hear speaketh the voice of bitter experience.[/quote]

I overstayed, and got a small, black stamp, similar in appearance to my visa extension stamps that says “THE BEARER OF THIS PASSPORT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED TO DEPART FROM THE ROC BEFORE JAN 31 2006”, with a “C” below it. No other stamps though.

I left by said date. Will I be able to get a new visa (for studying, starting July/August) if I present all the necessary documents (needed for a visa) at the TECO office in my city (Johannesburg)?

Very poor judgment on my part to have overstayed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.[/quote]

Mine says the same. It’s a one by two inch rectangle. It’s not black though. It’s blue. No “C” below it either. Don’t know what the “C” means. Maybe it’s some sort of evil code. All I know is the immigration official asked me if I was coming back to Taiwan. I just said, “Not anytime soon.” Haven’t been back since. That was a year and a month ago. I think I can get back in.