Overstayed 1 day - what to do?

My visa (visitor visa for purposes of studying, 1 extension left) expired yesterday and I just realized. What do I need to do? Am I going to have to leave the country?

Why ask us? Get yourself to the immigration office and plead your case. It’s their call not ours. But make up a reasonable excuse…went on a bender with Snoop Dog or something.

I did the same thing, once upon a time. And was told that if I’d gone in the day before, they could have fixed it for me, but as it was, I had to hop on a flight turn around and come back. Had a nice visit to Okinawa.

Even if you just overstay for a day they won’t let you leave at the airport.
Suppose the rule is still that they ban you the equal amount that you overstayed and something like 1000 NT / day.
Some people shortened this by getting a new passport once they were out.
If you give good reasons maybe you can get the money back but unless you’ve been kidnapped its probably a tough call.
Also you might get a big ugly stamp in your passport. Anyways luckily you’ve just been overstaying for one day.
Maybe you can try and say you didn’t find the NIA office or something or didn’t know it was closed on weekends, afternoons… :slight_smile:

You’re going to have to leave and come back. I had a one day overstay and pleaded my cause at immigration. No dice. I ended up overstaying 25 days, paid a hefty fine and got that ugly black stamp in my passport. Apart from the ennui of sitting around at the Hong Kong office for 4 hours waiting to be processed, the rest was a breeze.

OK, followup time.

Looks like I was lucky. The renewed my visa, no black marks, no fines, no anything. Just a “next time make sure you come before it expires”. As I’ve been told several times already today, I must have gotten lucky enough to have a really nice agent helping me.

I played the “exemplary foreigner” line. I went to my school first and printed my transcript and attendance record to show that I had zero absences and high marks. I put on a tie and cardigan. Fortunately yesterday I had gotten a haircut and shaved my beard off, so I looked very clean-cut. I filled out the renewal form and made sure I had all the copies and everything else I needed ready so that all the agent needed to do was stamp my visa (had it not already expired) before I took a number. When I went to the counter, I handed her everything and explained that I had completely forgotten about the visa until this morning. No making anything up, since I figured they deal with that all the time and can probably smell it a mile away.

She literally looked at every detail of what I gave her, particularly the transcript and attendance record, and then went to talk to her supervisor. I heard her explaining to him that it seemed like I had honestly forgotten, but it looked like I was a good student because I hadn’t missed class, had high marks, I’m married (though not to a Taiwanese), etc. She came back and stamped everything, told me not to do it again, and sent me on my way.

Nicely done! :bravo:

Congrats. Seems the weekend saved you :laughing:

This is why I said don’t ask us…the know-it-alls (i.e. us) will always tell you you’re fucked to high heaven. But its always worth pleading your case to the authorities especially where your last day falls on a weekend. The rules aren’t always applied to the letter of the law.

every know-it-alls know that :slight_smile:

It’s the cardigan what swung it.

Always wear a cardigan. The Taiwanese go mad for them.

What this really shows is that if you kiss ass and play the game like they want, you can get what you want.
as for wearing the cardigan, that only works if you get the guy at the counter.

[quote=“tomthorne”]It’s the cardigan what swung it.

Always wear a cardigan. The Taiwanese go mad for them.[/quote]

It’s a slippery slope. Next thing you know you’ll be wearing corduroy trousers and sandals and playing the lute.

[quote=“justreal”]What this really shows is that if you kiss ass and play the game like they want, you can get what you want.
[/quote]

Sage advice. If you’ve screwed up, suck up. Every culture has its rules and all foreigners need to do is work out what they are and play along with them.

If things go really bad then you just need to up the ante and wear a sleeveless sweater with comfortable beige slacks.

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“tomthorne”]It’s the cardigan what swung it.

It’s a slippery slope. Next thing you know you’ll be wearing corduroy trousers and sandals and playing the lute.[/quote]

it’s a trombone thing, with corduroy shorts and sandals. :slight_smile:

[quote=“justreal”][quote=“the bear”][quote=“tomthorne”]It’s the cardigan what swung it.

It’s a slippery slope. Next thing you know you’ll be wearing corduroy trousers and sandals and playing the lute.[/quote]

it’s a trombone thing, with corduroy shorts and sandals. :slight_smile:[/quote]

What an odd comment. Am I missing the context here?

…And how did you know I played the trombone? :astonished: :smiley:

I have to admit, the cardigan was an attempt to turn up the clean-cut white guy factor to 11.