Overtime Pay at International Schools

Do international schools in Taiwan fall under local labor laws that mandate overtime pay for mandatory work beyond 40 hours in a work week?

if a teacher of private school is an additional staff who does administrative work in addition to teaching, the teacher is under LSA.

FAQs on the application of the Labor Standards Act to workers outside designated private school establishments at all levels (excluding teachers who are only engaged in teaching)

if the teacher is within fixed number of staff members, regulations for public school teachers may be applied.

Summary table of overtime pay payment procedures for school civil servants in various agencies (institutions) under the Ministry of Education

The Ministry of Education has always attached great importance to protecting the rights and interests of private school teachers and protecting their salaries.

I didn’t know that the Ministry of Education set labor laws for teachers. I’d expect all professions to fall under the Ministry of Labor.

I know that international schools do not fall under the Ministry of Education. Do they still need to follow their labor laws?

1 Like

if the teacher is a foreigner, matters regarding the management and rights and obligations of the teachers at schools for international residents, shall be conducted in accordance with the related regulations of the particular foreign country whose citizens the school provides education for in accordance with that country’s education system.

1 Like