Pack of trolling dogs and homeless puppies

Recently, a pack of 4 dogs is wandering through our community. They chased me while cycling, they harrasse other dogs, which are usually pretty peaceful, and they are a major source of noise at night. After I chased them a bit with my bike, they don’t dare to bother me anymore, but others might be not so lucky and kids could get hurt. Those dogs appear to be siblings and feel strong in the group. What would do somebody in Taiwan about such a potential danger?

There’s a place not far from where I live in Hsinchu that had a pack of about 7 dogs that were going feral. Not long after I noticed them, they(the municipality) made a garden on the spot.

Once I spotted a pack of ten or more roaming the streets at night/in the early morning. It was so unreal.

Yesterday, while outside in our community and being bothered by this pack of dogs.

I also saw a momy dog with four puppies. These dogs seem very healthy and were hoping around just beside her. We have 2 black one and 2 blonde doggies here. They don’t appear to have an owner, and I was wondering if anybody was interested in giving them a home. I will try to get some pictures one of these days, but they seem to be very shy.

Also, there is a dog couple hanging out quiet often around our house, I am sure they will pop out some baby dogs in the future.

Hi ratlung,

I edited your post slightly and merged your two threads together, I hope that’s ok. You are supposed to post adds for homeless animals in the forumosafieds. I think you should still do that but I’m leaving you post here now as I think it has enough content for discussion.

Dogs in Taiwan…There’s just too damn many. :s

If you want these strays to go away, you’d have to find their food source and remove it. But then they’ll do the same thing somewhere else.

This situation really isn’t easy to solve. I’m looking forward to read some suggestions from other animal lovers.

bobepine

well AAF, unfortunately it’s not “unreal”. it’s a very “real” problem in taiwan.

i am surprised the dogs in question were harrassing people. every wild dog i’ve encountered in taiwan could not get away from me fast enough. not that i wanted to get in their space, but if i saw some in a park or on the street, they made darn sure i didn’t get anywhere near them.

they were probably only chasing someone on a bike out of instinct.

makes sense that after the biker went after them, they fled once they realized it was a human.

humans have been very mean to dogs in taiwan. not only by abandoning them after they outgrow their welcome, but beating them, torturing them. i wouldn’t want anything to do with the average human in taiwan either if i was a dog.

people need to stop throwing out pets like yesterdays newspaper.

street dogs exsist everywhere as a result of many factors. i have never seen anything like the wild dogs of taiwan here in america. in taiwan, they are so numerous. they have their own society. they live life on the fringe. they feed on refuse, they are opportunists. they roam the streets at night, when the humans sleep. they reminded me of wolves-i saw a pack in a park that were greeting each other and their behavior was very wolflike.

i don’t know if it is possible or even a good idea to get rid of the wild dogs. maybe they have their niche. the question is how can humans and dogs coexist in taipei. the main issue being disease-rabies, etc. that is a concern in a major city. otherwise maybe the humans get the city during the day, and the dogs can have it at night.

jm

I once saw a pack of ten or more in the city too. They were strolling through some alleys near Da an park, near the big green post office. I tried to call them to me, but they were very wary and all ran away quickly into the alleys.

It definitely feels very strange to see large packs of dogs wandering about in the city.

Though large parks tend to attract packs of strays it seems. I guess its only natural, but I was surprised that the government hadn’t caught them yet.

Thank you bobepine for modifying my post. I was not sure if I should put it together, and I also did not know about the rule that homeless animals should go into forumosafieds. I will add them there. Not a problem, and thanks for pointing this out.

I think one major problem with those dogs might be the lady dog that is running around here with her partner. She might be hot, so this could cause the disturbance in the neighborhood.

Here’s a link to a site looking for homes for 1 000 000 homeless dogs in Taiwan.
thepetitionsite.com/takeacti … 1150001610

[quote=“JOHN MOSS”] every wild dog I’ve encountered in taiwan could not get away from me fast enough. not that I wanted to get in their space, but if I saw some in a park or on the street, they made darn sure I didn’t get anywhere near them.

…they roam the streets at night, when the humans sleep. they reminded me of wolves-I saw a pack in a park that were greeting each other and their behavior was very wolflike.

[/quote]

Well, I was not going that fast with the bike, and all four dogs had me pretty much surrounded barking from each direction at me. I came to a stop and then finally decided to pick one out of the pack and go after him on my bike, then the next one etc. Usually strays just go running once I apply my breaks, but not this pack. And this was in bright sunlight in the middle of the day. But I agree, I can also recognize some wolflike behaviour.

wondering what good a petition with such vague statement will do.

especially is you can “sign” a petition as “anonymous”.

or as “bud weiser”.

what is the government really going to do?

i give my money to the people who are actually doing something: animalstaiwan.org

jm

[quote=“ratlung”][quote=“JOHN MOSS”] every wild dog I’ve encountered in taiwan could not get away from me fast enough. not that I wanted to get in their space, but if I saw some in a park or on the street, they made darn sure I didn’t get anywhere near them.

…they roam the streets at night, when the humans sleep. they reminded me of wolves-I saw a pack in a park that were greeting each other and their behavior was very wolflike.

[/quote]

Well, I was not going that fast with the bike, and all four dogs had me pretty much surrounded barking from each direction at me. I came to a stop and then finally decided to pick one out of the pack and go after him on my bike, then the next one etc. Usually strays just go running once I apply my breaks, but not this pack. And this was in bright sunlight in the middle of the day. But I agree, I can also recognize some wolflike behaviour.[/quote]

Well, dogs and wolves are both the same species.
Dogs/wolves have very stong instincts, and when living in the wild, become feral fairly quickly…
Probably the first litter born away from all human contact will behave pretty much exactly like wolves in the wild

yeah thats true.

it was just interesting to observe it in the middle of a huge city as opposed to the wilderness.

they have their own society established which in one way is good, but clashes will occur, disease is rampant. of course disease occurs in the wild too.

i don’t know what my point is exactly, just maybe to live and let live. if the people of taiwan decide they don’t like wild dogs then they shouldn’t keep dumping them on the street.

jm

CPR worked on this one…

Wonder if this team has done their job on the bike paths of Taipei and hilltops of Yangmingshan.
Guessing not. But, they got a free trip to Guam to help out their wild dog problems.

1 Like