Packing for Taiwan

Hi,

I was surprised not to find many (or any) posts about what to pack for a trip to Taiwan. It’s possible that I’m not a very good searcher, but I tried and came up empty handed, so hopefully this isn’t too boring of a question to reply to. :unamused:

I’m coming to Taiwan in 1 week and staying for close to 2 months. For the first month I’ll be staying in Hualien and working in Tzu-Chi Hospital (at which I need to be wearing cotton pants), and the second month I’ll be traveling the rest of the island.

And to add a bit of a twist, I’m very tall – 6’10", with size 15 feet so I wouldn’t be able to buy much even if I wanted to. Except perhaps tshirts as I am thin.

So, what are things that one must definitely come with? and without? And how much clothes/stuff should I bring? I was thinking two bags, but I’d much rather just bring my one Backpacking bag.

I’m thinking shorts, loose light shirts, pants, 2 pairs of sandals, cross trainers, sunglasses, sunscreen, my own cotton sheet, bathing suit, and hospital stuff.

What else?

Thanks.

:s Not to be condescending, but I don’t see the problem, you’ve already said exactly what you need to know. If you’re big to the point that you can’t buy stuff at home, not to mention here. And you’ve only got two months. A look at a climate chart for Taiwan will tell you the rest. So pack what you need for sticky hot weather, and add in a light jacket (to deal with any building’s crazy aircon) and you’re set.

Any kind of beauty products, like shampoo, deoderant, or make-up, is available but way more expensive here. And like you said, shoes and pants will be a problem. Vitamins are quite expensive too. For two months I wouldn’t worry too much, though. Most things are easily available here.

Didn’t you bring up this exact question like 2-3 months ago? I remember it somehow.

yup

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … ht=#287584

Thanks.

Freaking Amazing; I don’t mind bluntness and didn’t actually find you to be condescending… but I ask you this: Why do you feel you have to be? I do plan to find my way to Alishan at some point, but unless it’s windy the cooler temps may be welcoming.

To Frost and jdsmith (which is a familar name somehow), the previous post was specifically asking how my height is going to affect my travels. This question is asking a more general, “what to pack”. They seem rather different to me.

Thanks two navels.

[quote=“Raven”]Thanks.

Freaking Amazing; I don’t mind bluntness and didn’t actually find you to be condescending… but I ask you this: Why do you feel you have to be? I do plan to find my way to Alishan at some point, but unless it’s windy the cooler temps may be welcoming.

To Frost and jdsmith (which is a familar name somehow), the previous post was specifically asking how my height is going to affect my travels. This question is asking a more general, “what to pack”. They seem rather different to me.

Thanks two navels.[/quote]

I didn’t feel I needed o respond because you seem to have it all taken care of bud. Hualien in Summer is going to be hot as hell. Bring antiperspirant/deoderant if you’re a big sweater. A bunch of cotton white tee shirts to change throughout the day (if you’re going to be working at a hospital, right…look your best :slight_smile: )

I just met a guy who was 6’10" and DAMN…that is tall. Be prepared to be gawked at. :slight_smile: Stay away from tea shops where you have to sit on the floor if you have bad knees, like me.

Get you international driver’s liscense…Hualien is great for outdoor sightseeing and even a sequoia can ride a 150cc scooter. :slight_smile:

Peace.
jds

I see my first questions answered as I page down.

1. You posted this before? No, it was about being tall.

2. Yes, you seem to have thought of almost everything!

Only thing I can add is that in my earlier days I would bring back jam/ jelly for toast, cereal, a selection of books and coffee.

I now know that I can go to the new bookstore in 101 building (tallest as I guess you know in Taipei), Costco again in Taipei for various foods and that mostly beats it.

Entertainment. Bring the IPOD, radio here is crap.

Oh and, I noticed bathing suit in the clothing list. Weird thing here is you must wear a bathing cap in a public pool. You can buy one here or whatever…

Bring dry tech (dry fit) shirts, nylon shorts, etc. Cotton shirts and pants are useless in the summer especially when you are travelling. They hang heavy with sweat after a few minutes (literally) and never dry. Trust me, you’ll curse them to no end after you rinse them out at night only to find them still soaking wet in the morning.

Insect repellant. Seriously.