Pad Thai in Taipei

Hi,

i searched the forum but only found older topics about pad thai. i love thai food and am looking for good, cheap pad thai. I will pay more for good pad thai but am on an exchange student budget so do not have a lot.

anyway please direct me to good, relatively inexpensive pad thai in Taipei. preferably close to an MRT point so I can find it easily.

Thanks

Pretty sure I remember seeing it on the menu of the Blue Spice stall. Didnā€™t try it, but would expect it to be better than the ā€œThai-style noodlesā€ youā€™d find at most of the other Thai eateries.

Check out the ā€œBlue Elephantā€ thread for locations.

[quote=ā€œTyphunā€]Pretty sure I remember seeing it on the menu of the Blue Spice stall. Didnā€™t try it, but would expect it to be better than the ā€œThai-style noodlesā€ youā€™d find at most of the other Thai eateries.

Check out the ā€œBlue Elephantā€ thread for locations.[/quote]

NT$150ā€¦bit steepish but its a main so you get side dishes and a drink.

a-huiā€™s west side of shipai station rocks. i think 80 or 100 with chicken

Youā€™ve pitched this place a couple of times, havenā€™t you? Iā€™ve got to try this out - itā€™s the sign with white writing on blue, correct? Iā€™ve seen that restaurant for years and never tried, which is borderline criminal, especially since I live in Danshui and Shipaiā€™s moderately convenient for me.

Thereā€™s anotherā€¦ erā€¦ Yunnanish/ Thai place on the other (east) side of Shipai station, sort of where you wait to catch the buses into Tianmu. Dirt cheap and recognizable as not-quite-Taiwanese, but not particularly good. The sign probably has some combination of 雲南 and ę³° in it (the first meaning Yunnan, the second meaning Thai, as well as a lot of other things).

What dishes do you recommend there? Besides the pad thai, of course. And what is pad thai in Chinese, anyway? ę³°å¼ę²³ē²‰, or something like that?

I have. I live nearby and know it well. Itā€™s had itā€™s ups and downs over the years, but theyā€™ve had a good cook in there last 6 months or so. iā€™ve been going in quite a bit. the som tam, pad thai and tom yam gung are a couple of favorites but i havenā€™t ordered anything i didnā€™t like. i think the menu says ę³°å¼ē‚’éŗµ. they have an english menu.

[quote]
Thereā€™s anotherā€¦ erā€¦ Yunnanish/ Thai place on the other (east) side of Shipai station, sort of where you wait to catch the buses into Tianmu. Dirt cheap and recognizable as not-quite-Taiwanese, but not particularly good. The sign probably has some combination of 雲南 and ę³° in it (the first meaning Yunnan, the second meaning Thai, as well as a lot of other things).[/quote]

Iā€™ve had some decent meals there and some not so decent. these last few months i havenā€™t been in though.

Made this today, worked great, easy. I got Viet rice noodles in the Philippine stores on Zhongshan Sec. 3, had to give them a dunk in boiling water to soften them up, but came out fine

https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/pad-thai/

1 Like

Yumā€¦what protein did you use?

ą¹„ąøą¹ˆ

1 Like

Shrimps, peanuts, bean sprouts, one would assume.

I prefer the moo, but that works too. :drooling_face:

Iā€™m more of a gai guy

Wild and crazy gaiā€¦

1 Like

I would, but the young one is averse.

Just want to say there is a pretty deece cheap thai joint in Hsinchu if you cross the pedestrian bridge over the railway near the train station then take a left then a right on that main road that goes up past the universities, but you donā€™t have to go far itā€™s on the right on the first block. They have one of those drink dispensers but itā€™s some sort of blue drink that tastes like water no idea what it is. That was my regular water route which after a year of drinking realised youā€™re meant to boil before drinking. Oh yeah and I broke my arm there trying to ride back on my bicycle with two full containers of water hanging of the handle (the handle on one of the bottles broke but I managed to grab it before it fell on the rode however that resulted in me riding one handed, and when it came to stop, on a decline, it turns out breaking with one hand on a bicycle doesnā€™t work very well. After an hour of pain I decided I had to go to the hospital. It was after midnight so they sent me to the dungeon to get an x-ray and the x-ray-ologist took like 10 x-rays twisting my arms in all sorts of unnatural positions, me experiencing possibly the worst pain Iā€™ve felt in my life, while saying "sorry sorry sorry)

Probably this:

1 Like