Page Not Snapping To Screen Width

Forumosa recently stopped snapping automatically to screen width. It goes extra wide sometimes or extremely slim sometimes. And my typing area changes with randomly sometimes stretching much wider than screen. I don’t think I’ve changed any settings recently. On Samsung phone,

Yeah, because of the ads not rendering correctly.

Saving Tango42 Topics even in Site Feedback

3 Likes

I owe you a lot of coffee or something for making sure my posts don’t go without response.

2 Likes

Yea it seems to only happen when there is a messed up ad

1 Like

Use an adblocker, problem solved!

Thank you for pointing this out

I think I know what the problem is and I will try to fix it. Amazon offers different sizes of banners, but one option for some of the banners is called “Responsive”. So for a few of the Amazon banners, I use that code in my Google Ad Manager, and expect it to choose the 728x90 sized banner when the reader is using a desktop and to choose the 320x50 sized banner when the browser is recognized as mobile.

So, it doesn’t work all the time. I’ve seen the mobile banner when I’m on Desktop and the examples above show 728 width banner on Mobile, therefore not allowing the page to snap as expected. Removing the responsive banner code should address this.

5 Likes

Apparently, there were only 2 “responsive” ads. I have deactivated these just now. Please let me know if you still see the Non-snapping problem (after an hour from now)

1 Like

Seems OK now as far as I’ve checked.

Right now everything is snapping to screen size. At least for me.

2 Likes

Yes, it was fixed!

It’s happening again just this evening.

I found another “Responsive” Audible banner when I added the Kindle Paperwhite banner to Google Ad Manager, so I deactivated it.

When you see a wrong sized banner, if you can remember which one it was, pls let me know here. I know there were only a few Responsive banner codes that I chose – 3 or 4 were how many I thought there were

2 Likes

I found another one, but can’t tell which one.
It’s broken!

2 Likes

Still happening!

Only two ads on the topic.

Amazon Prime:

Space reserved for an advertisement, but no ads there:

2 Likes

The issue is still here.

Any plan to fix that?

1 Like

I will try suspending all the Amazon ads and see if that makes a difference.

The blank ads seems to me to be a Google Ad Manager problem - or a problem that the Discourse Advertisement Plugin may have with GAM.

Here is a discussion about a blank problem using Adsense (not GAM)

2 Likes

I’ve paused the Amazon campaign - they should stop showing up in an hour. This doesn’t include the deeplink ads (Joe Henley’s books or free shipping the Kindle to Taiwan)

The Amazon ads only appeared in topic discussions (desktop and mobile). The blank ads problem is not limited to topic discussions

1 Like

Wouldn’t that impact Forumosa revenue?

1 Like