Paint? Cost?

I know there is a paint shop on ShiDa Lu, but before I go around asking for prices (think of Lili’s lack of Chinese), I was wondering if anyone has bought a few cans of regular wall paint. Supplies too, a few rollers, brushes, tarp.

I think I’d need two cans. The regular Sherwin Williams type. Just White.

And how long do you think it would take to dry in a small bedroom-size room should it be raining?

Paint is cheap. For a small room it should be around NT1000-1500. Don’t use rollers. The paint here splatters too much. Just use a brush (less than NT100). It takes a little longer but not much and you save a lot in cleanup.

Go to B&Q. It’s easiest and better selection. There are lots of whites. Get eggshell if they have it. Easier to wash. No idea what Sherwin Williams is. At B&Q try Nippon Paint’s 5 in 1.

Drying is quick (overnight) but you’ll have the smell for a couple days so I wouldn’t paint on a rainy day (as you’ll need to keep the windows closed).

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Paint is cheap. For a small room it should be around NT1000-1500. Don’t use rollers. The paint here splatters too much. Just use a brush (less than NT100). It takes a little longer but not much and you save a lot in cleanup.

Go to B&Q. It’s easiest and better selection. There are lots of whites. Get eggshell if they have it. Easier to wash. No idea what Sherwin Williams is. At B&Q try Nippon Paint’s 5 in 1.

Drying is quick (overnight) but you’ll have the smell for a couple days so I wouldn’t paint on a rainy day (as you’ll need to keep the windows closed).[/quote]

Great, that’s really helpful! Thanks :slight_smile:

Use a sponge edger and a pole. In the immortal words of Adrian Monk, “You’ll thank me later.”

And measure twice, cut once.

And B&Q prolly has a guy who speaks Lili.

Lili, just in case you don’t know, B&Q dropped its English name, so it’s now called Te4 Li4 Wu1 (the store formerly known as B&Q). At the Neihu branch near Costco by the Minquan Bridge, for instance, there is now a blank space on their orange sign:
It’s in the basement of this building. The escalator down is on the right.

[quote=“Lili”]

And how long do you think it would take to dry in a small bedroom-size room should it be raining?[/quote]

Drying depends on the type of paint you are using. A latex based paint will dry slower but be more resistant and can be wiped with a wet sponge if dirty. It will be more poisonous while drying also.

The other non Latex based wall paint will dry within an hour. But if you touch it with your shoes even slightly, it will have stains and gets dirty very quickly.

You don’t have to run all the way to B&Q from where you are.

On TingZhou 汀州路 road near Xiamen 廈門街, there is are decent paint shops.

Another option is low-VOC latex, with fewer fumes. But plan on ventilating the room well, with fans, anyway.

How about Costco? Won’t they have paint, too?

No, I don’t think Costco has paint. B&Q or your local paint shop are the places to go.

BTW, there’s a thread on house paint here for a possible merge: