Pancakes and crepes?

Any tried and tested easy peasy recipes?? I 'll pull the pancake ones from the net, flour, eggs, milk, butter, baking powder and done. I’ll need help with crepes. Especially since I am trying to get some fruit in. Thanks for all your help. Off to buy some baking powder now!

I seem to recall someone posting a recipe for oyster pancakes awhile back.

Anyway, on pancakes, one thing you can do is whip up some cream with a small amount of sugar added, then spread a little of that on a pancake, add fresh seasonal fruit, and top it with another pancake, followed by a little more whipped cream and fruit and a light dusting of powdered sugar, then a light drizzle of melted butter and syrup. :smiley:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I seem to recall someone posting a recipe for oyster pancakes awhile back.

Anyway, on pancakes, one thing you can do is whip up some cream with a small amount of sugar added, then spread a little of that on a pancake, add fresh seasonal fruit, and top it with another pancake, followed by a little more whipped cream and fruit and a light dusting of powdered sugar, then a light drizzle of melted butter and syrup. :smiley:[/quote]
Okay Thanks, love the cream and sugar, I didn’t want to go get nutella (coz then I’d have to finish it :smiley: )

Yeah! So we’re having breakfast and dessert for dinner.

Oh, and you can top it with curls of bittersweet chocolate. :lick:

(There’s a reason I’m so thin, y’know.)

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Oh, and you can top it with curls of bittersweet chocolate. :lick:

(There’s a reason I’m so thin, y’know.)[/quote]
ummmmm sinful. Yeah you’re thin, and poor me I have to eat such stuff to maintain my figure!

Just buy the mix from the store. It’s easy and takes a lot of the guesswork out of it.

For pancakes, IME the locally available mixes (at the typical grocery store) are AWFUL, but the Krusteaz (?) one from Costco is ok. The bags are too large, though, and the stuff will go off in the course of a year (which is how long it takes us to finish one bag) so unless you’ve got an air-conditioned pantry or more mouths to feed (or use it more often), you might want to split a bag with someone, or make some of your own mix from scratch.

Right, we use the Krusteaz brand, too. And we always seem to get through a bag quickly enough… (But we sometimes have friends over for brunch, and V makes blueberry pancakes…) :lick:

I’ve used Krusteaz for years, but the last bag I bought seems funny. They don’t seem fluffy enough at all, as though they forgot the baking powder (and we’ve still got 10 pounds or whatever left in the bag).

Here’s some I made last summer with mangos and fresh whipped cream.

But I intend to start making the pancakes from scratch, too. Pancakes should be really simple. My mom has an outstanding recipe. I’ll ask her for it and let you know.

I think sometimes they won’t fluff if you add too much water when mixing, if you let the batter sit after mixing, or if the bag isn’t fresh. Baking powder and flour are both best when fresh.

Mt what did you do to the fruit?? grill, heat it with butter or just plain diced and used it?

That takes the fun out of 2 sick kids helping mommy make the batter :smiley:

Actually, I am house bound coz they are really sick! And pancakes have caught M’s fancy. So off we go.

Just plain fresh uncooked diced mango.

I did write to my mom a half hour ago and requested her pancake recipe. Hopefully I’ll have it tomorrow and can post it. They’re not thick and fluffy. In fact they’re sort of thin and almost into crepe territory, but they’re reaaaally good. I’m always happy when I visit and she cooks them. I’m guessing she got the recipe from Sunset Magazine. Anyway, I’ll let you know.

Thanks. Yours look great too!! Nice pic :lick:

I used this recipe. http://southernfood.about.com/od/pancakesandwaffles/r/bl30320v.htm

Simple and straight forward and were a hit at our house. Had them with mangoes. :thumbsup:

My Mum made them plain. Then layered them in a Pyrex bowl with a sprinkle of sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice between each layer. Kept the lid on the bowl whilst making the next one. SA style , I suppose, moist and juicy.

And she taught me to NEVER put sugar in the batter mix. Makes it stick to the pan.

Sounds fab Jp!!! I like the juicy part, these were rather dry…the sugar did not stick, but I was using a non-stick pan too.

This was in the 1920’s when I was a teenager, Divs. Non-stick pans hadn’t been invented then. We had to fry them naked on top of the TV whilst listening to the stock market crashing on the radio. Also, we had flour rationing, so Mum had to use sawdust. Ah, the good old days. Walking barefoot for ten miles through the snow to lern 'rithmatic…And then the bombers came… :bluemad:

This was in the 1920’s when I was a teenager, Divs. Non-stick pans hadn’t been invented then. We had to fry them naked on top of the TV whilst listening to the stock market crashing on the radio. Also, we had flour rationing, so Mum had to use sawdust. Ah, the good old days. Walking barefoot for ten miles through the snow to lern 'rithmatic…And then the bombers came… :bluemad:[/quote]
That is what I said. BUT I was using a non stick pan opposed to your mum who probably wasn’t.

I suspected you were a teen ager in the 20s, all those dance moves and that hair! And you never learnt to count so the 'rithmetic thing makes your pants go on fire.

I’m bringing a box of Bisquick and a waffle iron to Taiwan with me!!

Mmm, real waffles! :lick: