Panic Attacks - HELP!

My feelings exactly. I know they’re prescribed far too freely. Muzha Man says I need, or might, need them. I say bollocks to that. Pride has nothing to do with it.[/quote]

I don’t know your condition and am not going to pretend I know how you should be treated. My point is you and anyone else in this situation needs to keep an open mind about all forms of treatment. Yes, you probably could work your way out of this is a couple years through meditation, exercise, biofeedback and so on, but as a busy adult with a kid do you have that luxury?

If you are monitoring this very carefully with a health professional, reading everything you can, and being focused and disciplined then you may not ever need to take drugs. But your first post wishing this was just a temporary phase doesn’t lead me to believe this is the case (that you are focused and so on, not that you need drugs). I hope I’m wrong. I hope you are tackling this with all you’ve got. But you’d be a rare man if your were especially if this is your first experience with any mental illness. :2cents:

I suffered from one and was taken away in an ambulance. The doctor was a customer of mine and when he came back with the tests. He said, you just need to calm down. I went to see a doc at tzi chi in Xindian. I have been seeing him for about 2 years now and not one reoccurrence. I would get anxious in hi heat, airplane, high speed rail, and such. I can tell you weight loss and a better cardio regimine helped with me. When I study Chinese it’s very calming. Calligraphy helps as well. It’s a fact that it has to do with serotonin levels and it’s adverse overactive effects that starts your body into a nervous state. Adrenals kick in and makes you breathe heavy and increases cardio pulmonary responses. Racing heart increases panic and fear. There are meds that help with this. It can regulate seritonin levels and make it a happy day until you body can regulate itself. They are light and my doc is very hands on with making sure you are not over medicated. Now I barely take anything at all. Life is great and nothing affects me at all. His name is Mike Wang. Wang _____ Hsieh. He comes highly recommended. He speaks English VERY well. He knows there are no psychologists here and also does counseling on the side. He is there normally on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.

tzuchi.com.tw/tzuchi/Family_ … tityID=450

This is the doc I was speaking about. Highly recommened.

[quote=“The Daily Drucker”]http://www.tzuchi.com.tw/tzuchi/Family_Doctor/Default.aspx?Action=ViewDetail&AppSiteID=5&IdentityID=450

This is the doc I was speaking about. Highly recommened.[/quote]
Thank you very much for that info. In my neighbourhood, too. I’ll definitely check this guy out if my stalwart self-discipline and willpower fail to let me get a handle on my situation. Four GREAT days in a row so far.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“The Daily Drucker”]http://www.tzuchi.com.tw/tzuchi/Family_Doctor/Default.aspx?Action=ViewDetail&AppSiteID=5&IdentityID=450

This is the doc I was speaking about. Highly recommened.[/quote]
Thank you very much for that info. In my neighbourhood, too. I’ll definitely check this guy out if my stalwart self-discipline and willpower fail to let me get a handle on my situation. Four GREAT days in a row so far.[/quote]
Maybe we can get a group discount? :laughing: I already made my appointment for Monday! :smiley:

[quote=“maoman”]I’ve been going through panic attacks for the last couple of months. It was very scary at first - I thought I was having a heart attack, and actually had V take me to emergency one night because I could barely stand I was so dizzy. Heart pounding madly, weak at the knees, a little confusion, irritability, inability to focus, fear of dying, cold sweats, strong urge to escape - it was nuts. I felt better after the doctors assured me that it wasn’t physical, though.

I’ve been managing it by spending more time with my family, by not juggling too many things in one day, setting realistic, achievable daily goals for myself, and most importantly exercising like mad. I’ve been biking everywhere, and hitting the beach at least twice a week. I wasn’t sure about posting this on Forumosa, but it seems that so many of my peers are going through or have gone through the same thing, I thought I could offer a little cyber-solidarity.[/quote]

Wow, sorry to hear that! Panic attacks SUCK. I have only had one, just as you describe it – it’s an absolutely terrifying feeling. Mine was during a period of extreme stress, in the middle of a period of moderate depression, and may have actually been triggered by a spike in body temperature, as I was in a hot tub at the time. I never had another, so I didn’t get the panic attack bit treated separately and thus can’t speak to recommended treatment, but restructuring my life to lower my stress levels, increase exercise and get more social support certainly helped with the underlying depression.

People are often afraid to talk about depression, panic attacks and the like, as if it somehow implies personal weakness. It doesn’t. These are common problems and it’s good to discuss them openly. So here’s a little cyber-solidarity from me, as well.

Perhaps you guys could meet up and share stories at the Fairy Cafe (if you’re not afraid of the dark, that is). :wink: