Pan's Labyrinth

Gosh, imagine if some unscrupulous thief were to download this DVD and give it to me. How happy I would be!

It’s not out until March 12th and that’s region 2. No idea when it’s out on region 1 yet. Only in cinemas at the moment.

I read an arrticle that says it will be in cinemax in Taiwan about April, I am really looking forward to it.

This is the #1 movie I want to see right now; #2 is Nobody Knows.

I am in America now so I already saw it twice. While eating krispy kreme donuts. And then I went outside and made a snow angel.

Take THAT.

Del Toro is a wee Mexican God.
Not that I’d know personally, but I HEARD that there aren’t any good torrents around yet.
Not that I engage in that sort of activity, me.

It’s #8 at the U.S. box office now. Pretty good for a foreign film! :sunglasses:

If you have any doubts about whether to rush to see this one, just read the first handful of reviews at imdb.com!

Well, I happen to know someone in the movie distribution business, and out of the blue was invited to a small preview screening tonight, which just so happened to be, no shit, Pan’s Labyrinth (usually it’s something I didn’t really want to see, but on occasion it’s a real gem). Obviously, I jumped at the chance since I was dying to see this one.

And all I can say is…

Wow.

I can’t imagine Hollywood putting out a better film than this, not this year or many others.

It is that good. Extremely dark (warning, not for children under the age of 30) but very creative, very … unique. The imagination behind this was pure genius.

I could go on and on about technical mastery. The blending of the real, historical world of civil war Spain (which, despite trailers which imply a world of pure fantasy, is the greater part of the movie) with the other-worldly which the trailers show was phenomenal. The directing, the art direction in particular, and the acting were remarkable.

But more than most movies in any given five-year period, it had the power to burn a lasting impression into your mind.

I haven’t seen the other Oscar contenders yet, but I can’t imagine any of them really deserving to beat it.

Just…

wow.

I want to see this film so badly… Great impressions Dragonbones :slight_smile:

I mentioned the art direction as particularly impressive, and guess what? It just took THREE Oscars, for art direction, cinematography, and makeup!!! :sunglasses:

In conclusion then, the Oscars voting committee ARE still listening to your opinions, Dragonbones.

In conclusion then, the Oscars voting committee ARE still listening to your opinions, Dragonbones.[/quote]
Don’t be silly. I SMS’ed them ages ago with my recommendations.
When is the Tartan Spartan one coming out, by the way? I want to see that one.l

I would have given Pan best picture and best foreign language film (and maybe screenplay) too!

But to be fair, I didn’t see any of the other nominees :stuck_out_tongue: :

Best motion picture of the year
BABEL
THE DEPARTED
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
THE QUEEN

Best foreign language film of the year
AFTER THE WEDDING
DAYS OF GLORY (INDIGÈNES)
THE LIVES OF OTHERS
PAN’S LABYRINTH
WATER

Original screenplay
BABEL
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
PAN’S LABYRINTH
THE QUEEN

Saw it last week and I have to say that I’m a little bit mystified why people are raving so much about this movie. I could certainly appreciate the gore and darkness. I was probably flinching more at the torture scenes in this movie than I did watching Ichii the Killer. But I just didn’t think that the Spanish Civil War bits meshed that well with the fantasy bits. [spoiler alert]Maybe if that fascist general and his army had been torn apart by an army of fantastical creatures I would have dug it more. Instead, the payoff, with the fantasy world being the girl’s dead father saying he loves her, was pretty weak.[/end spoiler]

I thought Spirited Away did a much better job with the “innocent girl with parent issues matures as she gets lost in a fantastical imaginary world” motif.

I liked Water way better than Pan’s Labyrinth, too. Different class of film altogether.

Pan’s Labyrinth finally got released here, and I went to see it this afternoon.
It is indeed a really good, but dark and sad story, I like very much.
But one thing was really annoying.
The movie goes with Chinese and English subtitles.
Gees!
I really hate to read movies, and I had to read two languages this time!
The worst thing was those two subtitles masked one-third of screen, which made me scream (in mind.)
Anyway, it is a good movie.

I would have bought the hookey DVD here in Shanghai, but I am firmly of the belief that this unscrupulous thievery must be stamped out and I uphold the principle that art-loving citizens of impoverished third world nations must subsidise the Porsche dealers and estate agents of Los Angeles by not buying pirate copies of films they would not otherwise be allowed to see. Oh, all right then. They don’t have it until next week.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I would have given Pan best picture and best foreign language film (and maybe screenplay) too!

But to be fair, I didn’t see any of the other nominees :stuck_out_tongue: :

Best motion picture of the year
BABEL
THE DEPARTED
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
THE QUEEN

Best foreign language film of the year
AFTER THE WEDDING
DAYS OF GLORY (INDIGÈNES)
THE LIVES OF OTHERS
PAN’S LABYRINTH
WATER

Original screenplay
BABEL
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
PAN’S LABYRINTH
THE QUEEN[/quote]

I have seen most of the abovementioned films, except “After the Wedding” and “Days of Glory”
I personally think “The Lives of Others” is the greatest of them.
Recently German films are really good.
“Downfall” and “The Lives of Others” are in my top 10.

I saw Garfield 2 the other day. God, children are retards.

I will try and catch this one, much as I hate watching films. How did you all develop the Dalai Lama-like concentration involved in paying attention to someone else’s thoughts for 90 minutes? I am not being flippant. I’d really love to appreciate cinema. It’s not such a big deal at home because I can do other things at the same time. Maybe I’ll just wait for the dvd.

I think over your question, and I try to figure out where my enthusiasm come from.
It is really difficult to come up with a simple answer so I think that what people say: crazy. :laughing: