Paper ARC?

I just saw this on Google, it seems to be an ARC but in a paper form. Does anyone know what this is for? Is it an alternative to an ARC card for short term residences or can you apply for this if you need to send proof of your Taiwan residence abroad to apply for something but don’t want to send your actual card? That’d be useful. Would also be good to have one of these folded inside my passport, in case I ever lost my ARC whilst abroad.

This is given to Mandarin language students who apply for ARCs in Taiwan. They won’t give them the cards, presumably because they have to apply to extend their stay every term after they’ve paid tuition. It might also be given in other cases, but I don’t know of others.

If you’ve got a proper card, I don’t see why you would want one of these. I know people who have this and some places don’t even accept it as real, it takes some convincing!

1 Like

That’s not true. They give the ARC cards to Mandarin students. I remain in possession of one.

I changed mine 8 times in two years.

Hmmm, so what’s this thing? Very curious.

Maybe for those who have lost theirs and need a temporary one.

They also look very similar to the entry permit they give Communist Chinese. My ex had one of those for a visit here.

Found a similar one.

It is for students.

Due to covid, students now do it online.

、電子居留證及收據下載
申請案件經移民署審查核准後並完成線上繳費,外國與外僑學生申請人將收到系統自動寄發之電子居留證及收據電子檔下載通知之電子郵件,即可再行登入本系統後操作「下載專區」中「電子居留下載」、「收據下載」功能,以取得電子居留證及電子收據檔案。請自行下載並以彩色列印紙本後,持憑電子居留證出、入境使用;持憑電子收據至服務站領取IC卡居留證使用。

3 Likes

Idk, they refused to give one to my friend (and other Mandarin students at the same school) on these grounds. Are you still a student? Maybe they’ve changed that policy.

Or maybe it’s a Coronavirus thing.

Naww I switched to a work ARC since. I still have my old Student ARC.

1 Like

I went for my second, six month job seeking extension.
They said they could give me any paper ARC good for 4 months for free or they could charge me $1,000 to make another card good for the next 6 months.

I asked if I needed to extend those last two months if I didn’t get a job before the paper one expired and they said yes I could still get another two month extension or the full 12 months from my original job resignation. It did still take 10 days for them to produce it upon me processing the second six month job seeking extension.

So my current ARC is a paper ARC. I’m not a student. I’m a foreign professional. They did it to save me 1,000 $. I’ve had no trouble using it anywhere so far such as NHI or the bank.

I’m on my first 6-month extension. I changed my address and they gave me this paper instead of the card ARC for the duration of the card. I still have the second 6-month extension coming soon. I’m hoping it doesn’t make a difference having the paper instead of the physical card.

What does it look like?

1 Like

when you changed to the first 6 months extension ARC, did they issue you a physical card or just the paper ARC?