Paper straws environmental savior or cancer stick?

As I said before as a reason I always carry plastic straws (buy here —-> 我發現超棒的東西『【台灣爆款熱賣】一次性吸管珍珠奶茶粗吸管果汁飲料塑料加硬尖頭獨立包裝批髮包郵 QJFC』,售價$178 - $717!分享給你 https://shope.ee/7zjyL3O1Zu )

The reason why is that my father in law works at a factory as a manager making the “sealant” that these paper straws are made with. Him and all the workers refuse to drink using paper straws and carry plastic ones instead,

(I don’t not advise leaving plastic straws in a hot car in the sun however…) - I’ve had to waste a few and throw them in the trash because I don’t want the chemicals from hot plastic. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting, a good example of a greenwashed product perhaps.

1 Like

Modern straws were originally made of paper.

Anyway, it is possible to drink without a straw.

4 Likes

Try drinking bubble tea without straws.

1 Like

I’ve only drunk bubble tea once, but I would guess it’s possible. Perhaps using a spoon to pick up those revolting chewy things.

4 Likes

Since I’m not a Taiwanese teenage girl (or 30 year old Taiwanese woman who acts like a teenager) why on Earth would I drink one of those sugar bombs?

4 Likes

Or drinks with ice. Just went to Starbucks. They put my coffee in a normal mug and filled it up with ice. Trying to take a sip without the ice flowing out was a pain in the arse.

2 Likes

I’m only speaking for industry. Bubble tea is obviously a huge industry and customers unable to drink the pearls is going to hurt your business.

It’s also why they still have plastic straws despite the ban.

Also those plastic straws are actually quite durable if you’re careful. Maybe they should be collected, cleaned, and reused?

I’ve used them for several months.

I don’t mean the plastic straws used now but straws made of more durable materials that can be dropped off at 711 to refund the deposit.

The cup used could be made this way too.

One thing about living in a foreign country is not offending the natives…

Both men and women in Taiwan enjoy bubble milk tea and are proud of their heritage.

Maybe you don’t like it… but I don’t recommend talking about Taiwanese like that

1 Like

Very interesting post, thanks. Glad I use a steel straw whenever I do use a straw. Zero percent whatever that chemical in your linked story was.

But straw-less is the way.

1 Like

Anonymously online? What are you suggesting might happen?

1 Like

It’s not just that. It’s about making the forumosa community look bad

I think we’re more than capable of achieving that goal without assistance.

4 Likes

Metal straws ftw. I bring my own gear most places anyway.

2 Likes

I make us look bad by dissing bubble tea? Better not tell you my opinion on stinky tofu then! It’s not like we don’t have a whole thread called “wack things in Taiwan.” :joy:

Oh look! You even post there!

1 Like

How about just drink from a cup like a normal person and stop requiring loads of extra bullshit pollution for something that isnt necessary…the proncessness that we have become is truly astounding.

sorry bubble tea fiends. you are the only exception, along with the jelly folks. but its probably best you dont ingest those nasty balls of goo anyway :innocent:

outside of medical reasons, straws are just dumb when we really get down to it. I will start drinking.my soup with a straw in front of the jdiots that think its necessary for a soda.

Do you drink your soup directly from the bowl?

if it’s a small bowl in a restaraunt, of course. I’m there to eat, not for foreplay. otherwise I have a metal spoon I can use for 80 years.

I also have metal straws I can also use for 80 years.

What do you use them to drink? Since only idiots need them for soda.

anything I want to drink with a straw, I use that. means I dont need to keep wasting disposable products and wasting resources. I liked glass before, but they break. have had the same stainless straw for over 10 years. probably a few thousand plastic starws’ worth. that’s real CP value!

to be fair, I rarely use them. I like to sip a cup. like an adult!

1 Like