Parental overshare?

Antibodies from auntie’s boobies… too much information?

• Ew! More than I wanted to know. New parents are strange ducks.
  • Nah, it’s all good.

0 voters

So, we’re back home and Sprout comes down with a bit of a fever.
Give her some baby Tylenol: fine.
Fever returns.
She’s 8-months old, so no longer getting all the great antibodies from mom, but Jaboney’s sister has a 3-month old daughter, and has been exposed to the same bug that’s likely causing the fever. Easy solution, right?

Sprout gets some antibodies from auntie’s boobies.

Now, have I drifted too far into the zone of messy parenthood? Should what happens at grandma’s stay at grandma’s?

Personally, I have no problem with the concept of allowing a child to drink the breast milk from an aunt for the antibodies. I think it’s incredibly smart and loving.

Did you know that a hundred years ago, doctors used to ask nursing women to express and use the milk to treat patients? They may not have known about antibodies, but they knew that the babies were not sick.

My son nursed and was NEVER sick, even though lots of kids his age were constantly getting sick with something or other.

Your daughter and sister will have a special bond and your daughter will be able to fight off what’s got her without any possible side effects of now un-necessary antibotics.

I’m a BIG fan of nursing and breastmilk for the little ones, though. My :2cents: .

PS: I tried to vote, but it said the submitted form was invalid.

What housecat says.

There is nothing messy about putting your child’ health first. You can tell sprout about it, if that is what you mean. No big secret there, and I am so proud of you to make that decision. :bravo:

I had a wetnurse when I was a nipper. I think it was one of the scullery maids or perhaps the lamp-lighter. Nothing wrong with it at all.

If everyone is cool with it, why not? Seems to be some medical basis behind it.

Is this a vote for or against?

[quote=“Jaboney”]
She’s 8-months old, so no longer getting all the great antibodies from mom,[/quote]
I don’t intend to be critical of whether or not a mother is breast feeding her child, but your statement strikes me as a bit weird. Why would being 8 months old preclude a child from being breastfed?

I don’t understand what your question is. Do you mean should the kid get breast milk from another source? Sure, why not? But when you say "should what happen at Grandma’s stay at Grandma’s, do you mean should you tell other people? Um, ok, but why? It’s not gross-out info, but I don’t really see how you’d bring it up in a conversation. :idunno:

[quote=“Jive Turkey”][quote=“Jaboney”]
She’s 8-months old, so no longer getting all the great antibodies from mom,[/quote]
I don’t intend to be critical of whether or not a mother is breast feeding her child, but your statement strikes me as a bit weird. Why would being 8 months old preclude a child from being breastfed?[/quote]
I don’t think that’s what he’s saying. I think he means that mom’s antibodies ain’t what they used to be. Breast milk in the first month is very different from breast milk at 8
months.

[quote=“Maoman”] I think he means that mom’s antibodies ain’t what they used to be. Breast milk in the first month is very different from breast milk at 8
months.[/quote]
Come again? This sounds like Taiwanese “logic.” It is not like women just stop producing and putting antibodies in their milk. As I understand it, and we talked to a couple of doctors about this in HK, the immunological benefits of mom’s milk are there for years after birth. If mom isn’t breastfeeding for whatever reason, that’s her business, but there is surely no reason to take the aunt’s milk over mom’s.

At the confinement centre here, it is quite common for nursing mothers to donate their surplus to the babys’ room for feeding of prematured and sick. Of course the ‘supply’ is pumped out and properly stored in sterile bottles, nothing gross in that,I think. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Maoman”][quote=“Jive Turkey”][quote=“Jaboney”]
I don’t intend to be critical of whether or not a mother is breast feeding her child, but your statement strikes me as a bit weird. Why would being 8 months old preclude a child from being breastfed?[/quote]
I don’t think that’s what he’s saying. I think he means that mom’s antibodies ain’t what they used to be. Breast milk in the first month is very different from breast milk at 8
months.[/quote]I shared the story with a friend here, and her reaction was, “Ew! Too much information.” Made me wonder if I’d entered an oddly, socially inappropriate fatherhood zone. Didn’t think so, but… you know.

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“Maoman”][quote=“Jive Turkey”][quote=“Jaboney”]
months.[/quote]I shared the story with a friend here, and her reaction was, “Ew! Too much information.” Made me wonder if I’d entered an oddly, socially inappropriate fatherhood zone. Didn’t think so, but… you know.[/quote]
I’m guessing the friend doesn’t have kids. I probably wouldn’t discuss things like that with non-parent friends. Dude! Regular people who still have their freedom don’t want to know about stuff like that! :laughing:

I’m guessing the friend doesn’t have kids. I probably wouldn’t discuss things like that with non-parent friends. Dude! Regular people who still have their freedom don’t want to know about stuff like that! :laughing:[/quote]Good guess. :slight_smile:

I’m guessing the friend doesn’t have kids. I probably wouldn’t discuss things like that with non-parent friends. Dude! Regular people who still have their freedom don’t want to know about stuff like that! :laughing:[/quote]Good guess. :slight_smile:[/quote]

But you are welcome to share these stories with parents. Especially moms who have breast fed and their spouses who have supported them!!!

[quote=“Jive Turkey”][quote=“Jaboney”]

My little one’s still getting all of those great antibodies at 20 months old. She’s never had a cold or other illness (touch wood), and the only time she’s ever had a fever was when she received her jabs.

And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a baby being fed by a lactating woman other than its mum, especially if the two are related. Nor is there anything wrong with talking about it, though as Sandpa has remarked, those singlies and other non-parents probably don’t care to be told such stuff.

Jaboney, it’s not weird or wrong, but sandman’s right - what your baby had for dinner will bore the living shit out of your non-parent friends. Your baby is interesting because she’s your genetic material and a material expression of your love for your wife and the culmination of your biological purpose on planet earth. She’s a cat that can’t shit in a litterbox to everyone else. :bow:

Come again? This sounds like Taiwanese “logic.” It is not like women just stop producing and putting antibodies in their milk. As I understand it, and we talked to a couple of doctors about this in HK, the immunological benefits of mom’s milk are there for years after birth. If mom isn’t breastfeeding for whatever reason, that’s her business, but there is surely no reason to take the aunt’s milk over mom’s.[/quote]
You’ve got the facts, but not all of them. In fact, the quality of breastmilk is not constant. It changes A LOT from what the infant first drinks ([wikipedia]colostrum[/wikipedia]) to what it gets later on:

[quote]During the first few days after delivery the breast produce colostrum. This is a thin yellowish fluid which is the same fluid that leaks from the breasts during pregnancy. It is rich in protein and ingredients that help the baby’s immune system. Colostrum also helps the newborn’s digestive system to grow and function properly.

After 3 to 4 days breasts will begin producing milk that is thin, watery, and sweet. This quenches the baby’s thirst and provides the proteins, sugar, and minerals the baby needs. Over time the milk changes and becomes thick and creamy. This satisfies the baby’s hunger.[/quote]

Even during a feeding the composition of the milk changes: [quote]Foremilk, the milk released at the beginning of a feed, is watery, low in fat and high in carbohydrates relative to the creamier hindmilk which is released as the feed progresses.[/quote]

“Still”, yes, “all”, no. The antibodies that are found in breast milk will target specific viruses. If a baby gets a virus, by breastfeeding it can pass the virus to the mother and within 24 hours her breast milk will contain antibodies targeting that exact virus. I don’t have a link, but it was in a pamphlet that we had when Trudi was an infant. If Jaboney’s sister’s kid has fought off the same bug, then it’s a pretty sure bet that his sister’s breast milk has the right medicine for it.

I have a problem with this logic. If there is “absolutely nothing wrong” with something, than how can there be a qualifier like “especially”? :smiley:

Maoman, it’s great to hear a guy so well informed on breastfeading issues! It IS a very awsome process!