Parenting in Taichung - Hello from The Wilderness

“Hello, is there anybody out there”

I really want to try and get some contact with other parents of mixed nationality kids in Taichung to share the experiences we have had thus far with our three year old in Taichung and hopefully get some tips and useful information for the future.

There seem to be a lot of resources for parents in Taipei, but I have had little luck for those in Taichung, so I thought it would be a good idea to connect with some other families of mixed nationality kids in central Taiwan.

My little monster is three and he strangely does not look mixed race at all, no idea why. He does speak great Chinese, passable English and understands some Taiwanese too.

You can check out his pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nickvivian2007

We are now starting to look for a local kindergarten for him in Taichung and I would love to know if there are any recommendations from other parents in the area.

I should say that Taiwan is my home now and I am looking for him to get a local education at least until Junior high school with Chinese as his main language and speaking English with me at home. We are not rich or religious, just ordinary folks, so we will not be considering the “foreign” schools in the area.

I have had a look at kids emile which seems OK, however I have been told that lots of the “better” kindergartens give the kids too much pressure and even though they charge a lot and eat organic food etc… (not that I care) are more focused on impressing the parents than making sure the kids have a great time. I did notice that the kids emile in Feng Chia is having an open day this Sunday and we are planning to go and have a look for ourselves. Will let you know what I find out…

Any thoughts / comments would be welcome.

Also if there are any parents out there who are about to have a baby or have just had one, CONGRATULATIONS!
If you need any info about stuff in Taichung please feel free to ask.

Aloha

I sent our 5 year old to the Season Arts in Fung Chia area. We looked at the Emile in Fung Chia too, but didn’t like the teaching style. Our kid just goes to regular class, not the half-day English. Her English is advanced compared to the kids in the English class and it’s quite a bit more money! She has been at the school for 3 years and in general we are pretty happy with it. The school is beautiful and the staff is nice. Also from my experience with teaching, I find that kids who go to Emile have more trouble adjusting to elementary school because their method is to let the kids control the direction of learning and the activities and the teachers just record what the kids do. Season Arts is still really fun for kids but I feel they still work to help the kids adjust to “traditional” teaching styles. There are also quite a few “mixed” families in the school.

I have a Taiwanese+Korean+American toddler, and he’s 26 months old now.

I’ve sent him to a daycare center in Korea while I stayed there, and he loved it. Well, at least, I appreciated it.
(blog.daum.net/columbia_nyc/15621056 — His photos there)

Now I am back in Taichung, and I’ve been checking some kindergartens nearby on my own as well, but I haven’t made a decision, yet. Here’re what I’ve been checking. Ah, we live near Citizen’s Square.

Recommended Kindergartens

園所:聖雅各 Saint James
www.st-james.com.tw
$14,800/註冊 $5,900/敎材 $10,100/月

園所:娃得福
waldorf.org.tw/waldorf/

園所: 四季 Four Seasons
seasonart.org

園所: 愛彌兒 Emile
kidsemile.com.tw/
$16,420/註冊 $9,000/月

Others:
園所: 牛頓 Newton
$14,000/註冊 $3,240/敎材 $7,800/月
www.neac.com.tw

園所: 美村路 何嘉仁 Hess
$27,000/註冊 $7,700/敎材 $9,300/月

園所:孩子國蒙特梭利 Kidsland
$16,000/註冊 $7,700/月
kidsland.topschool.com.tw/

What “I” do not like. (my personal opinion)
園所: 國際托兒所
$12,000/月
Headmistress – pretentious & stern, Homeroom teacher - strict

I will need to sort this out in a few years.

My friend works at a Waldolf in Taichung gang Rd across from Tunghai uni.
I have subbed there at the afternoon ichin ban.
Although some of the Waldolf methods I am not so in agreement with I do like the fact the teachers have regular workshops and training, the kids are taught at their development level and have plenty of play time, something which seems lacking in any other kindy I have ever worked at (8years in Taichung)
I have no idea how much but this is an option

The second I would suggest as suggested before is Season arts. I have a South African friend who sent their daughter to linsin campus. Near Hernan Rd (Dadun 11th I think) liked it a lot. There are a few campuses also one near Cosco in Yuntun East Rd.

The third if you want to spend cash and have a little genius is the Leader kindy. I guess it costs a bomb but know that you at least get some money worth with what seems like a decent curriculum.

Just my two cents.

Let us know where you choose and some pros. More info for Taichung is needed on Forumosa.

Cheers

Fridge

Its good to see there are other Forumosan parents interested in connecting out here in Taichung. Our kids are Taiwanese-American and attend Lin Shen Kindergarten near the Art Museum. My wife tells me there are great play groups in Taipei but has had a hard time finding anything in Taichung. We’ve only been in Taiwan for 4 months so our kids do miss playing with other English speaking kids. Does anyone know of a playgroup for preschool aged kids?

As for our experience at Lin Shen Kindergarten it’s been very positive the staff love our kids and there seems to be good mixture of exercise, music, and fieldtrips besides the usual activities. It still surprises me to get homework requiring a parent’s signature for a 3 year old, but I figure its just the culture here. Our kids are there from 8-12pm and get breakfast and lunch at school. The rest of the kids are there till 5-6pm.

p.s. My email here at Forumosa is out of date, so contact me thru the forums

I suggest forming your own playgroup. All it takes is a few families, meeting once a week, or every other weekend. It can be as simple as a family picnic or trip to the pool. If you have children roughly the same age, plan an age-appropriate activity such as a craft actvity or group games. If you really want to get a group started, it might mean you’re the one responsible for planning activities, finding venues, sending announcements by email. Sometimes, if the group is still very small, it might mean you’re the only one who shows up if other kids fall ill or parents have other commitments. Another thing to think about is whether you want to keep it a small, intimate group of families (not exclusive, just manageable) or if you want a larger group so that even if people are traveling or kids are ill you still have a good-sized group of families meeting. Think about where you’d like to meet–alternating homes, at parks, activity centers, family restaurants. If you’d like to grow the group (families travel or move) then consider advertising with fliers at places where mixed or foreign families are likely to be (preschools, Morrison Academy, western restaurants, etc) If you’d like to grow the group, don’t be shy about approaching families you see at the park or restaurant and asking if they’re interested in an English-speaking playgroup. Often when a few friends and I have done that, the parents have been grateful. Especially true when they’re newcomers and don’t have friends in the city yet.

Hope that helps some.

Great ideas,

You’re right it doesn’t have to be that complicated to get one going. It can just be another family or two hanging out. It seems our age bracket with preschoolers is really needing this. I just don’t know if we can muster up the energy to plan activities, but we’ll see.

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]I suggest forming your own playgroup. All it takes is a few families, meeting once a week, or every other weekend. It can be as simple as a family picnic or trip to the pool. If you have children roughly the same age, plan an age-appropriate activity such as a craft actvity or group games. If you really want to get a group started, it might mean you’re the one responsible for planning activities, finding venues, sending announcements by email. Sometimes, if the group is still very small, it might mean you’re the only one who shows up if other kids fall ill or parents have other commitments. Another thing to think about is whether you want to keep it a small, intimate group of families (not exclusive, just manageable) or if you want a larger group so that even if people are traveling or kids are ill you still have a good-sized group of families meeting. Think about where you’d like to meet–alternating homes, at parks, activity centers, family restaurants. If you’d like to grow the group (families travel or move) then consider advertising with fliers at places where mixed or foreign families are likely to be (preschools, Morrison Academy, western restaurants, etc) If you’d like to grow the group, don’t be shy about approaching families you see at the park or restaurant and asking if they’re interested in an English-speaking playgroup. Often when a few friends and I have done that, the parents have been grateful. Especially true when they’re newcomers and don’t have friends in the city yet.

Hope that helps some.[/quote]

My wife and I are in the process of selecting a preschool for our son, who will be 2 years, nine months in August, when the programs start.

Our short list came down to:

1. Four Seasons Art school
  2. Emile
  3. Tunghai Universities pre-school

Waldorf didn’t make the list. First, we know friends both in Taichung and in the United States who’ve had kids at Waldorf and the Waldorf schools seem a bit overbearing about how parents implement Waldorf’s philosophy in the home environment. But that isn’t the main reason; there is a lot we like about the Waldorf philosophy and we know it is a love it or hate type of school. What really turned us away was we don’t like having kids aged 2 to 6 in one class. Also, the lady we talked to was a complete space cadet, whose only response to our questions about the safety of the youngest kids in such a set up was that we shouldn’t be worried because Waldorf was a “non-crash environment”. It is also pretty far from where we live.

Morrison didn’t make the list because (1) the expense, (2) we want our son in a Chinese-language environment, (3) we’re not entirely comfortable with the religious emphasis, and (4) the commute isn’t very convenient. That said, we know plenty of people who went to school or sent their kids to school at Morrison. It is a good school if your primary concern is to have your kids on a U.S. curriculum so they can fit back into the system in the United States…and if you can afford the tuition. It just doesn’t make sense, especially for preschool and kindergarten.

There are lot’s of local preschools we checked out in the SiTun area, that didn’t make the list, mostly because of the traditional cram school approach they take and/or the unprofessionalism of their staff.

My thoughts on the three we like in Taichung are below. I would love to hear from parents who already have kids in one of these schools:

1. Four Seasons Art school

We know an American couple who have a son at one of the branches of this school. They really liked it. When their son first started going, the mother would drop in at the school to check in on him and observe the classes. They make this easy to do without disrupting the class. Their son has been going there for a couple years. They invited us along one day when they went to pick him up and showed us around. Today, we did the formal tour at the branch in SiTun, which is less than a block from where we live. Beside how conveniently close it is, we like the following:

• it has the best designed, newest, cleanest facility. This is not really that important to us, but it really stands out from all other preschools we’ve visited.
  • the teachers and staff are all friendly and professional, but they are pretty young–a minor red flag to me. It’d be nice if it seemed more teachers were making a career there.
  • the food they prepare is high quality. whole grains, organic vegetables, etc. To some degree it seems like over expensive food to appeal to the yuppie parents, but it the menu looks varied and well balanced and the kitchen clean.
  • it seems very secure. It is hard to see someone sneaking in or kids sneaking out. Since I live so close I’ve often walked by the school during drop off and pickup times and I’ve accompanied friends when they picked up their son. I’m impressed with how professional and well organized they are.
  • the “curriculum” seems rich, lots of fun, educational activities, arts projects, field trips, exercise…no text books not a huge emphasis on rote learning for the preschool kids.
  • the English classes are taught by native speakers…I don’t care so much about English education in preschool, I only speak to my son in English at home. Also, I’m not plugged into the Taichung ESL community, so I don’t know how qualified and experienced the teachers are there or what the turnover is like (foreign teacher turnover tends to be very high, it isn’t uncommon in many schools with foreign teachers for the kids to have their teachers changing in within the same semester). The one benefit, however, may be a bit more ethnic diversity among the teaching staff.

The costs are:
Monthly tuition: 10,350 TWD
Uniforms, backpack, and other misc. items: a few thousand more.
Insurance = 153 per semester.

1. Emile

This was the higher-end local preschool before Four Seasons Arts school opened. In many ways it is similar, just not as trendy. The facility is set up very similar to Four Seasons, but it looks a little tacky and run down. The principle at the Feng Chiah branch has a masters in education from the US. Both the principle and Zhu Ren were very professional, experienced and left a good impression. We didn’t have a lot of exposure to the teachers. The educational approach is similar to Four Seasons. The only complaints we heard about Emile was from Taiwanese parents who feel it doesn’t “teach anything” since they don’t load the kids up with books. I’m sure they’d have the same to say about Four Seasons. Personally, loading a toddler up with books and cramming in math and vocab is really not what I’m looking for, so I’m fine with the “curriculum” at Emile.

Cost:
Registration = 18,500 a semester
Montly tuition= 10,500
Uniforms, backback, misc. = 2,450 a semester.
Insurance = 204 a semester

The only reason I would consider Emile over Four Seasons, is that you can put your kids in half day at Emile. The half-day tuition is only about 20% less than full time, but it is cheaper and we are not sure if we want or son to go full day.

1. Tunghai University’s pre-school

Tunghai University’s pre-school is about 40,000 per semester, full time. We are waiting to hear from them about half day costs (they didn’t have a rate sheet and said the principal would have to calculate for us and get back to us…kinda strange.)

Tunghai’s facility would turn off many better-off Taiwanese we know. It is old. They don’t use air conditioning, unless it is exceptionally hot, etc. Also, they have no English class at all.

I like it because:

• they are flexible with time and price if you don’t want to do full day
  • the teachers are very well-trained, experienced, and I felt the best about the teacher there than any where else I visited. I think that this might be because they are employees of the university, get good pensions, decent pay, and the prestige of working for the University.
  • they have access to University facilities. For the smallest kids, it doesn’t make much difference, but as they get older, they have access to the pool and other rec facilties, the music department facilities, etc. One thing that is cool for a country kid like myself and for my son who loves animals, is that they are located right next to the Tunghai farm where the animal husbandry and vet students run an organic dairy farm and take care of / experiment on various farm animals. Not just cows and pigs and sheep, but ostriches and other more “exotic” animals. It was, however, kinda funny/disconcerting to have the teacher who was showing us around tell us that one good thing about the farm animals at Tunghai is that they are exceptionally clean because the students have to experiment on them. Hmmm…

We haven’t made a decision yet on which school. I’d love to hear others’ thoughts.

Linsen Kindergarten is near Art Museum? Another friend of mine suggested 全方位. Hmmm, I’d like to check both kindergartens possibly a year later or so.

Currently we’re sending our 30-month old son to Four Seasons(四季) close to Linsen Hospital, and our son enjoys pretty much. I also like their curriculum and teachers.

blog.daum.net/_blog/ArticleCateL … kind=B2201 (His photos. ^^)

Still, it’s a bit far for me to pick him up. And, I am not sure if I want to try WaWa school bus. So, I’d prefer to send him nearby kindergarten.

[quote=“TaiwaneseStomach”]Its good to see there are other Forumosan parents interested in connecting out here in Taichung. Our kids are Taiwanese-American and attend Linsen Kindergarten near the Art Museum. My wife tells me there are great play groups in Taipei but has had a hard time finding anything in Taichung. We’ve only been in Taiwan for 4 months so our kids do miss playing with other English speaking kids. Does anyone know of a playgroup for preschool aged kids?

As for our experience at Linsen Kindergarten it’s been very positive the staff love our kids and there seems to be good mixture of exercise, music, and fieldtrips besides the usual activities. It still surprises me to get homework requiring a parent’s signature for a 3 year old, but I figure its just the culture here. Our kids are there from 8-12pm and get breakfast and lunch at school. The rest of the kids are there till 5-6pm.

p.s. My email here at Forumosa is out of date, so contact me thru the forums[/quote]

Just want to say hello to all parents here in Taichung.

Our boy is 17 month and has a full time nanny. We are not looking for a kindergarten yet, and I am not even sure I want him to go to one. I would like to connect to parents with toddlers around the similar age, maybe we can organize a playgroup.

I have 2 boys, one is 2 years 4 months old and the other is 4 months.
I have looked at most of the schools in taichung and right now we are just leaving it… the schools are just horrid in every way, they are either clean and nice with presurised teaching and insanely high prices, or cheap,dirty and full to the brim with kids of a certain class :frowning: .

If you have the time keep them at home, hire a maid and teach them in your own time.

Would be nice to meet other kids of a similar age group though, my son is very sharing and playful, be nice to get some more english around him :smiley:

smellybumlove - I stopped the full-time nanny thing and spend more time with my 18 month old boy. So I look for other kids&parents to share a day a week or something. Don’t know about the similar age group, but we could meet up and check it out.
We live in Taichung city near the art museum.