Parent's renounced my citizenship when I was young, can I get it back again?

Hello,

I was born in Taiwan to a Taiwanese mother. When I was 8 years old I moved to Canada and my mother renounced my Taiwanese citizenship/residency(?), anyways I don’t have a Taiwanese passport. I’m born in 1994. I read online that I’m able to skip getting a TARC due to,

• you were born in Taiwan between February 10th 1989 and February 9th 1999 and your mother had Household Registration (even if your father was not Taiwanese)

I still live in Canada, and I have a Canadian citizenship.

I also read the recent Reddit post that if I have a Taiwanese parent I don’t need to wait 365 days to register residency and get household registration in Taiwan anymore. It also says it’s for overseas born Taiwanese which I am not. (But there is a chance that I am legally treated like one because I do not have residency & I have a taiwanese parent that’s why I included this sentence)

The problem is that my parents renounced my residency & passport, so I do not know how it effects things.

what you will do is to apply for restoration of your ROC nationality.

1 Like

Before you do anything else, call your mother to make sure she actually renounced your Taiwanese citizenship, and not just cancel your residency. Those are two very different things.

4 Likes

Why did she do that? Was it your dad pushing it?

I did hear of one Canadian guy wanting his kids to be ethnically Canadian lol (despite procreating with a Taiwanese…) and wanted to renounce his kids citizenship, prevent them from learning Chinese etc…

I always wondered how that worked out lol.

Exactly. Also I’d be fairly angry if my mother/father cancelled a citizenship for no reason…

4 Likes