Part of me died when I saw this cruel killing

Iraq: more journalists killed “than during Vietnam war” - watchdogs

[quote]According to Peter Feuilherade’ analysis (BBC Monitoring Media Services), "The number of journalists and support staff killed in Iraq since the start of the war in March 2003 now exceeds the toll among the media during two decades of fighting in Vietnam from 1955 to 1975, according to separate reports from two international journalists’ organizations.

The Brussels-based International News Safety Institute (INSI) said in a press release on 29 August: “Eighty-one members of the news media have died since the war began in March 2003, according to figures compiled by the Institute. More than half - 50 - were murdered by insurgents and other unidentified gunmen and bombers. American firepower is the next most significant cause of death. There is no firm evidence that US forces have deliberately targeted the news media. But there is widespread suspicion that American troops do not take adequate precautions to try to ensure the safety of journalists. None of the other Coalition forces has killed any journalists.”[/quote]

There’s more at the link.

And here . . .

[quote]JOURNALISTS KILLED ON DUTY: 69*

Here is a statistical analysis of journalists killed in Iraq since hostilities began in March 2003, as compiled by the Committee to Protect Journalists. CPJ considers a journalist to be killed on duty if the person died as a result of a hostile action

I am not sure of the actual relevance of comparing journalists/camera operators killed in Viet Nam with the current Iraq (or Afghanistan) War.
I believe this conflict is much more heavily covered number wise than Viet Nam ever was. Actual numbers of media on site no doubt varies day-to-day, given the high mobility of today, and todays # wil undoubtably differ from next Tuesday #.
Also, even though journo’s did venture into the field, on occassion and usually after the action (with a few notable exceptions) in VN, their presence in Iraq (and to a lesser extent in Afghanistan) is much more “in the heat of things.”
This is due to the mainly urban environment in which the war is being conducted.
For these reasons I am sceptical of the relevance of doing a “Iraq vs. VN Journo Bodycount.”

Really? The impression I’ve had is that most journalists in Iraq–those who weren’t playing soldier during the march on Baghdad–are staying in the Green Zone, if not their hotels.

First, thanks for those statistics. I thought it would have been around 25 or 30 and not 69. Anyway, good to know the exact numbers…

Well, then they are not really journalists are they? Let them hide behind their walls but then treat the accounts that they provide of Iraq with great skepticism. For this, perhaps, the deserve to be shot. (warning: this was meant with irony. A special note to the irony and humor-impaired).

Those statistics. Were they bodycounts, or did they do head counts. They might not be the same.

Therein is the problem.

You’ve taken crticism of US involvment to the enth degree and all in your own sweet mind. No one is saying these disgusting thugs were in any way justified in their attrocious crime.

HG[/quote]

You’re wrong. I am upset because the brutality that we are witness to these days doesn’t even penetrate the skin anymore. People jump right to the blame game as a way to avoid feeling anything.

I’m upset that we seem to be so desensitized that it’s more important to score imaginary discussion points than to absolutely condemn the vicious and offer compassion to the suffering.

I’m upset because people are always trying to equivocate the despicable things some people do with the despicable things other people do as a way to negate meaning. I’m upset that we all seem to want to be backseat lawyers and push language and responsibility around until one or the other is sick of continuing.

My response is not a political one. It is much deeper than that. There is no justifiable political or humane reason to blame the actions of these people on anyone but the killers themselves.

jds

Agreed.

Richardm-- :noway: ugh. Bad form.

You could not have illustrated my point any better.

:s

I was too, and what’s more I agree with your points, but I’d add reflexively hopping into a defensive position.

He’s right though.

HG

He’s correct.
That’s all kinds of wrong.
:frowning:

WMD, Liberation of the Iraqi, 9/11, cutting heads off women, any other reasons?[/quote]

You forgot the most important one - Saddam tried to kill Dubya’s daddy.

:unamused:

:stuck_out_tongue:

WMD, Liberation of the Iraqi, 9/11, cutting heads off women, any other reasons?[/quote]

Wasn’t there also something about “this will be a cakewalk, we’ll be showered with flowers”?

I think that was probably a widespread quote from how a journalist summed up the “lack of preparation” by the administration. But then again, 80 percent plus of the population did welcome us. The problem is that Saddam had armed groups ready to fight us in an insurgent activity and al Qaeda, many of whom were already in Iraq, moved to take advantage of the situation. Fair enough. But you have to look at who is causing the violence. If this violence were not occurring in Iraq which the terrorists themselves have called Ground Zero of their fight against the West, they would be active elsewhere. I firmly believe that Lebanon would be racked by violence right now and Algeria would still be stuck in its civil war. Make no mistake, the fact is 20 percent or so of the insurgents we are capturing or killing are Algerians. I think that this is highly relevant to proving that this fight is regional not isolated to Iraq. This is why I am so keen to see Syria and Iran removed from the equation. Pakistan is the true threat and we cannot afford to be dicking around with other arenas when it goes and make no mistake it will go one day. You can count on it.

What do you mean by "goes’?
(Fowler asked Pyle).

HG

What does he mean by “we”.

Goes Islamofascist or terrorist crazed. All it takes is a few good bullets and the thin veneer of civilized government in Pakistan can easily be replaced by something far more sinister. AND the government has nukes. Imagine the Taliban with nukes… Not a nice thought is it… They may actually prefer to bring most of the world back to the 7th century not matter what the costs. So my little liberal friends so busy in your peace marches and sit ins. Think of that little scenario and start siding with us in our fight against these people or it will be too late.

Ah… but who is to say that the world of the 7th century would not be a better place? Who is to say that your view of the role of women (being taught to read, not being legally beaten at the hands of their husbands, not painfully mutilated as children, not put to death for the “crime” of being the victim of rape) is the right one? Why shouldn’t everyone have the same weapons? If the US has nukes, why shouldn’t anyone be allowed to? After all, the US is the only nation that as ever used them. Why shouldn’t people who convert from one religion to another be killed? Why shouldn’t girls be gang-raped for the alleged misdeads of their elder brothers? Why shouldn’t everyone have the same power to make the world what they think it should be? Do you think somehow your culture is superior to others? How is it that you have the arrogance to think that some people should be allowed to hold the most horrible of weapons, and others not, or that certain governments are desirable, and others not?

Thanks, Hobbes. I was wondering if anyone would take a shot at answering my question: [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/part-of-me-died-when-i-saw-this-cruel-killing/27766/43 Technological progress is fairly simple to chart; anyone care to have a go at moral progress?[/url]

I’ll leave this now and go back to reading Amartya Sen’s Development as Freedom.

People who believe they are as moral as moral can be are not interested in progress.

Yes, Hobbes. I realize the error of my ways now. Thanks for pointing that out. :laughing:

Looking at it from that perspective, I wish to now go on record as supporting the beating of women and children and for their treatment as sexual chattel.

Clearly, one cannot argue with that sterling logic. I forced once again to accede to your greater wisdom. Nuclear weapons should be held by everyone since clearly no nation or government can be said to be any better or worse than any other. That would not be fair.

The more the better I should think. After all, isn’t their eternal life far more important than the one, this present one, in the here and now. Quite a valid point I should think…

Well, yes, I can see your point Hobbes, but then it begs the question as to why the elder brothers should not be gangraped for the infractions of their younger sisters. If we are going to be equal about these things then I think that the older brothers, older sisters and younger brothers should all be gang raped as well. Then things will be fair and equitable and just.

I never liked those Buddhist statues at Babiyan anyway. Defacing natural beauty of the Afghan mountain landscape. AND can you believe it! That is exactly what the evil Republican oil drillers want to do with the Arctic Reserve. Hah! Bombs away to their evil oil rigs as well.

I stand speechless before the clear light of reason emanating from your statements.