Part-time classes

I’m serious about learning Chinese, and would like to study at Shi Da. Unfortunately, my work schedule is very erratic, and I’m not sure I can make the time commitment this would require. Can anyone suggest an alternative? I’ve read about other schools like TLI, but I’ve heard mixed things.

In case it makes a difference, I already have my ARC (so I don’t need to take classes for a visa). I also studied a year of Chinese in college, so I have the basics down.

Hi,
If you are in/can get into Taipei you might try CLI (China Language Institute) which has a school on Anho Rd. between Hsinyi [Xinyi] and Jen’ai [Ren’ai]. I’ve had good luck with them in the past in terms of flexibility (i.e., you tell the teachers what you want and they actually do it). The director is pretty forward-looking. You can say I recommended you if you want, although I doubt it would get you a discount.

I’ve had reasonably good luck with TLI in the past as well, although I think the smaller schools tend to be more flexible. I would not recommend “Pioneer” on Hoping Road nor, of course, any of the successor schools to “Flag”.

Terry

Terry…How much are classes at CLI? How many students are there in each class?

Thanks for the info. I’ll check them out.

I can introduce you to a private teacher who has experience in teaching chinese to foreigners for many year. She taught many Indonesian and Singaporeans chinese in Singapore.

Right now, she is teaching in Taiwan. If you want, i can give you her contact no.

Sorry I missed your post for awhile…!

I think that the costs at CLI are probably almost exactly what they are at any of the smaller schools. (It’s amazing how they are the same down to the penny!)

Class size would vary depending on what groups were going at the moment. I think you would have a better chance of hooking up with a smaller group than at, say, Shita, because there is less of a student pool to fill all the classes to capacity. I usually had to take one on one there because of the things I wanted to do (which apparently didn’t interest anyone else!)

Their number is: 2708-3700 for the Taipei center, 28782-7127 for the Tienmu one.

I haven’t studied there for a couple of years, though, so your mileage may vary. The director is pretty sharp, though, IMHO.

Terry

quote:
Originally posted by hello: I can introduce you to a private teacher who has experience in teaching chinese to foreigners for many year. She taught many Indonesian and Singaporeans chinese in Singapore.

Right now, she is teaching in Taiwan. If you want, i can give you her contact no.

Sorry, “HELLO” can you give me your teacher friend contacts? Thanks.