Party like it's 1989

Last night I partied like it was 1989.

I was 16 in 1989. So I drank eight beers, lost my keys, passed out in the garden and didn’t go to school today.

How did you have fun as a young’un?

In 1989 I ran away from home. Hitchhiked a thousand miles. One guy exposed himself to me in his car, but it went ok. Ended up seeing a lot of whores, drug dealers and a queen. Met a black person and a Canadian person for the first time in my life. Pawned Mom’s jewlery, which she never forgave me for. Got caught by police after 3 weeks and sent back home on a plane.

EDIT: sorry, that should be Queen, with a capital Q

In 1989 I brought down communism in Eastern Europe, withdrew Soviet forces from Aghanistan, legalised homosexuality in Western Australia and institgated the Tiananmen massacre. Ok, I was drunk when I did the last one and I regret it.

I’m sorry I ruined your thread with my BO, Buttercup.

Feel free to delete my posts or start over. I won’t bother you anymore.

A.T.

1989? Hmm, there was ecstacy, and it was good, too good and not illegal as the drug laws hadn’t caught up to it, apparently. I recall being surprised anyone could get off the couch and dance on the stuff.

HG

Matthew, it’s good that you owned up to that one, finally. I’m sure it’s been weighing on your mind. All of us have accidentally started a massacre at some point in our lives and it takes a real man to say ‘Oops, my bad, sorry!’

So you spent a lot of time in Western Australia as a teenage boy then?

TFPKAT Why are you apologising? Maybe no-one responded 'cos my thread topic is dumb and they are all busy working? Just hang around and chat and don’t act like a child if no-one talks back straight away or isn’t interested.

[quote]1989? Hmm, there was ecstacy, and it was good, too good and not illegal as the drug laws hadn’t caught up to it, apparently. I recall being surprised anyone could get off the couch and dance on the stuff.
[/quote]

Yeah, I remember the same from that year as well or maybe 1990. They were the size of a horse pill though.

Geez, in1989, I’d just joined the Air Force.

(Cue ‘Top Gun’ music…)

You mean back in the days when NZ had one! :laughing:

HG

That’s cool. It’s my dream to fly a helicopter. I’ve taken the first step by moving to the seventeenth floor to get over my horrible vertigo.

[quote=“Buttercup”]
TFPKAT Why are you apologising? Maybe no-one responded 'cos my thread topic is dumb and they are all busy working? Just hang around and chat and don’t act like a child if no-one talks back straight away or isn’t interested.[/quote]
Sorry, Buttercup. You’re absolutely right! I will stop apologizing.

I’m glad and relieved to see your thread took off in spite of my childish behavior. I think I might be slightly too sensitive.

A.T.

That’s the spirit! (Are you winding me up?)

1989 - a year of parties for me, especially Christmas and New Years. Drunkenness and debauchery. (Those were the days!)

In 1989 I was skipper of a small sloop transporting goods of…dubious provenance, across the Pacific.
The crew comprised 4 hardass Rudies out of Kingston and a Scot kickboxer chick with a mohawk.
After almost getting blown out of the water by a Mexican Coast Guard cutter, I decided to get out while I was still kicking and had all my limbs.
I sold the whole deal for a healthy profit of which I was promptly relieved by an Iranian gunrunner with no front teeth and a bigass Desert Eagle.
I spent 8 months herding sheep in Patagonia, keeping my head down and getting enough of a stake together to get the fuck out.
I probably got drunk a few times in there.

Everyone does cooler stuff than me…

In 1989 I was still too young to do anything. Only good news is that I already had all the boobs I was ever going to have.
(but you could say that about 1979 too)

1989… a wonderful year… burnt all my textbooks in the park after my GCSEs… saw the Charlatans, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses… went to Hong Kong… decided to study Chinese… and the best part is got to do it all again in the summer of '92 on arrival in Taipei as the DJ at Spin was playing all that music all over again… Fooo-ooo-oo-oooo-oool’s Gold.

1989? Getting rat-arsed in AC/DC and being unseemly with naive Taiwanese girls. Plus ca change.

I graduated secondary school and started university. Hadn’t yet had sex except with myself. Was well into the Manchester scene and playing on my mates Amiga (bubble bobble). Beer played a large part in my life back then as did some experimentation with a lady named Mary Jane.

I was just a little bit young to catch the Manchester stuff. It was mostly just debauchery at the Ritz on Monday nights, after which we would walk home to Heaton Moor. Even walked to Marple on occasions.