Pavement (sidewalk) access - it's just crap

I was gonna dump this in the anti-scooter thread but thought it could be split off.

It’s not just the stupidly, selfishly parked scooters and cars that foul up walking on pavements, it’s the street furniture and trees. Pavements in the UK don’t have the same problem with street lamps, telco cable boxes, trees etc blocking all bar 6 inches of pavement.

I know the UK doesn’t have typhoons but surely something could be done to make these things wind proof, so parents, the disabled and pedestrians don’t have to walk in the street.

Problem is the fixing. For instance, sidewalks in Taiwan are built at different levels because, get this, according to feng shui, if you are even a few centimeters higher than your neighbor you get more prosperity. :unamused: Scooters and other obstacles are also hard to clear as enforcement is difficult.

Howver, as elections approach, you will see a flurry of action. In my hood, these rainy week, they are working furiosuly to level al sidewalks and the storekeepers are complaining not only because of the dirt, inconvenience and “business lost” but mostly because they understand is mostly for face, something done so that it looks pretty closer to the mrt, not reall fix. Bceause the rest of the hood has no sidewalks and there is no way to have them as there is no space, unless you rebuild the whole thing, which they plan to do soon…

How do you know you are in Taipei city? There are sidewalks.

Yes spot on Icon. It’s like the famous Jingmei bridge where the path stopped half-way along the bridge because it was in Taipei County and they didn’t want to pay for their half of the footpath? Or if you notice at the riverside park at Jingmei there is a park on one side but not on the other, again mainly because the other side was in Taipei County. The integration of Taipei City and County is supposed to help fix these anachronisms eventually.

The govt agency I love to hate the most, Taipower and their transformer units plonked down in the middle of pavements.

Try pushing a kid in a stroller anywhere outside of Taipei City…I live in Taichung City and despite the random sections of sidewalks (which usually quickly get obstructed with scooters and all matter of random potted plants and outdoor kitchens) that have been built, I’ve learned that this city and it’s Mayor (the dwarf) couldn’t give two shits about providing a safe environment for pedestrians, people pushing strollers or handicap people. If there is a sidewalk, there usually isn’t a ramp at the end of it when you get to a street crossing. It gets tough to ollie a stroller at every street. :loco:

Try one of those ethnic looking baby carry sacks that you see some foreigners in sandals using to carry their kid around in. They are very trendy and wondefully multi cultural. :wink:

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Yes spot on Icon. It’s like the famous Jingmei bridge where the path stopped half-way along the bridge because it was in Taipei County and they didn’t want to pay for their half of the footpath? Or if you notice at the riverside park at Jingmei there is a park on one side but not on the other, again mainly because the other side was in Taipei County. The integration of Taipei City and County is supposed to help fix these anachronisms eventually.
[/quote]

The other side has been worked on for the past two years and is quickly catching up. All the riverpaths and parks on the TC side are fast improving.

[quote=“Captain Stag”]Try pushing a kid in a stroller anywhere outside of Taipei City…I live in Taichung City and despite the random sections of sidewalks (which usually quickly get obstructed with scooters and all matter of random potted plants and outdoor kitchens) that have been built, I’ve learned that this city and it’s Mayor (the dwarf) couldn’t give two shits about providing a safe environment for pedestrians, people pushing strollers or handicap people. If there is a sidewalk, there usually isn’t a ramp at the end of it when you get to a street crossing. It gets tough to ollie a stroller at every street. :loco:[/quote]Amen Brother! :thumbsup:

Anything outside of Taipei City is just worse. Moms try to run you down in their cars as you cross the street so they can wait to pick up little Wang from cram school. Police enforcement? Forgetaboutit, we don’t even get the face saving crap. All we get is some roads resurfaced that needed it a whole lot less than other roads, but were in a more used area so were repaired to show something is being done. At least you get to see some improvement in Taipei City, we are left with the same old crap everywhere else.

Even in Taipei there are things that pis me of about sidewalk access. For instance, along many streets you’ll see rows of scooters parked next to each other. At regular intervals there are plastic poles marking pedestrian access routes between the street and the sidewalk. I work on such a street, and more often than not these access routes are blocked by some asshole who’s parked his scooter in there.

On occasions the scooter towing service comes around and if I’m there at the time I always point out these scooters to them.

It’s just that there is a gray zone about who owns and can do what with the piece of (covered) sidewalk and street in front of a property … outside Taipei everyone thinks they can use and block (parking scooters and putting all kinds of shit) it and even reserve the parking spot (by placing a derelict scooter or washing machine, refrigerator) in front … people have to walk on the street, no choice …
The government need to be clear on that … although if people complain, it will be acted on, some times … I had the honor of being targeted some years ago, as was the whole street … on one side only … definitely targeted by competition

Competition? I thought you were the only Belgian baker in Sanxia?

Competition? I thought you were the only Belgian baker in Sanxia?[/quote]

Not me … other businesses, but you can not just target one store … right? It needs some covering up to mislead everyone.

Dunno what you’re getting at there, bro. But the old baby-strapped-to-the-chest routine is the only practical way to transport your kid around town, if you (heaven forbid) plan on walking more than a couple of blocks. No-one drives their car into town and offloads baby into stroller to do a spot of shopping. That way madness lies.

But it shouldn’t.

[quote=“Chris”]Even in Taipei there are things that pis me of about sidewalk access. For instance, along many streets you’ll see rows of scooters parked next to each other. At regular intervals there are plastic poles marking pedestrian access routes between the street and the sidewalk. I work on such a street, and more often than not these access routes are blocked by some asshole who’s parked his scooter in there.

On occasions the scooter towing service comes around and if I’m there at the time I always point out these scooters to them.[/quote]

Just wheel them bodily into the street.

No need to wait for the towing service, some moron will crush it instead.

Whoah! Such a thing exists?!?

Guy