Pay-for-use or communal kitchen?

Folks,

I really miss cooking. Lately I’ve just been jonesing for a chance to whip up some comfort food. Are there any pay-for-use kitchens or communal/community kitchens where you can book time? Specifically, I’m thinking of Taipei but I would consider a trip a little further out.

-R

[quote=“thefool”]Folks,

I really miss cooking. Lately I’ve just been jonesing for a chance to whip up some comfort food. Are there any pay-for-use kitchens or communal/community kitchens where you can book time? Specifically, I’m thinking of Taipei but I would consider a trip a little further out.

-R[/quote]

Just make friends with a local roadside vendor and he might lend you his wok.

The pay-for-use kitchens I’ve investigated are very expensive, not worth it (IMO) even if you are making stuff to SELL, and DEFINITELY out of question if you are just whipping up some comfort food or a quick meal for yourself. You’re much better off making friends around your neighborhood and then asking if, for instance, some housespouse friend would like you to show them how to cook some of your faves. Or put up a notice saying you’ll teach an English cooking class for free or a small fee.

Suggestion.
Go to Costco and buy their portable oven. It has dual controls for the top and bottom rack. Think it’s about NT $9000, but I don’t remember exactly.

You could also buy a portable stove that uses gas canisters.

The OP may not have a kitchen etc., so that might not be an option, but if it is, I recommend the Dr. Goods (available) at DIY baking stores (you can run a search here) instead of the Costco (Kaiser brand) one, due to better quality and roughly the same price.

As long as your landlord either doesn’t know or doesn’t object, all you need is a small burner and a water source, maybe a small refrigerator. I’ve lived in places where my kitchen was that, balanced on a sheet of plywood over the stairwell. I didn’t starve. Definitely enough to do your favorite comfort foods.