(2) if so, how to go about it and
(3) whether it is worth it or not.

Thanks

[quote=“AAF”]I’ve heard of paypal and would like to know:
(1) if one can use it in Taiwan’
(2) if so, how to go about it and
(3) whether it is worth it or not.

Thanks[/quote]

I use PayPal.co.uk. Once you have a PayPal account it will work anywhere as far as I can tell.

I followed the instructions at Paypal to associate a credit card number (from a Taiwan-based foreign bank) with the account. They charged a nominal fee of $1 or so to my card, and billed it with a code word included. I had to wait for the next month’s statement to arrive, then enter that code word on the website to activate the credit card number. Before that, I could only spend money which was in a positive balance in my account (i.e., anything which anyone sent me by Paypal), but could not have Paypal charge my Visa to buy something. After the activation, I could choose between spending any positive balance or charging Visa.

So yes, you can use it from Taiwan. And you can use it even without setting up the credit card link, but only if you get funds into your account somehow, like by selling something on eBay, or by handing someone like me cash, then having that person send the money (minus fees) to your Paypal username (which is the same as the email address you provide to Paypal when setting up the account).

Oh, and if you want to withdraw the money from Paypal (cash it), that’s a bit of a pain, as you have to set up a link to a bank account; it’s easier if you just use the cash to buy something online.

Depending in why you need Paypal, also check out Moneybookers at moneybookers.com/app/ They’re not as good for online shopping, but their fees are lower than Paypal and I withdraw money to my Taiwanese bank account in a few days without any problems. I do a fair amount of translation for overseas clients and this is the cheapest way for me to get the payment to my Taiwanese bank. Also, I don’t do much online shopping, so I don’t mind the fact that fewer outlets accept their payment than Paypal.