Pedestrians in Peril

I note that in recent months there have been notices that the rule about pedestrians walking on the right side of the road will be enforced. Fine is (what?) NT$600 or something.

I have a Taiwanese friend who is a good, law-abiding citizen. He used to walk on the right side. But one day as he was walking on the right, he was hit by a car and injured.
Now he walks (he can still walk, thank God) on the left, so he can see oncoming traffic and take evasive measures when needed.

I’m from the US. We drive on the right, like Taiwan, but walk on the left, so we can see oncoming traffic.

Which danger is greater: danger of injury or danger of a fine?
Can anyone explain the logic (there must be SOME logic, right?) of the Taiwan rule that pedestrians should walk on the right?

There isn’t any logic to it, that’s what they’ve been taught in school since anyone can remember. This stupidity is going to get passed into law? :raspberry:

So if the pavements are useless because they are used for parking, storage, selling space, or light fires forcing us to walk on the road, we’re the ones who get in trouble.
If we cross where it’s safer, where we only have to worry about traffic from 2 directions, instead of at ‘pedestrian crossings’ where traffice comes from 4 directions, we’re the ones who get treated like criminals ? While the so-called “police” give out tickets to pedestrians, while ignoring people almost being hit on “crossings” only a few meters away.

This is why Taiwan can go screw itself. Why should I care if China nukes it ? Can’t make it any worse.

Come friendly bombs and fall on Taiwan!
It isn’t fit for humans now,
There isn’t grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-
A house for ninety-seven down
And once a week a half a crown
For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin
Who’ll always cheat and always win,
Who washes his repulsive skin
In women’s tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak
And smash his hands so used to stroke
And stop his boring dirty joke
And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add
The profits of the stinking cad;
It’s not their fault that they are mad,
They’ve tasted Hell.

It’s not their fault they do not know
The birdsong from the radio,
It’s not their fault they often go
To America

And talk of sport and makes of cars
In various bogus-Tudor bars
And daren’t look up and see the stars
But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care
Their wives frizz out peroxide hair
And dry it in synthetic air
And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Taiwan
To get it ready for the plough.
The cabbages are coming now;
The earth exhales.

Mathew? Have a cup of coffee and take it easy…that’s not a good way to start off the day. :rainbow:

Peace and love,
CK

Like most laws in this country, it will only be enforced in Taipei City, and maybe certain parts of the Taipei County.

I always walk on the left. Where do I sue?

I thought they have sidewalks in Taipei? Oh well, if it made any sense, they wouldn’t do it that way…

maybe you should get a new translation and figure out if it is on your left or the drivers left

i think you dont understand horror

if you get hit by a car from behind you wont be scared just hurt and can see the plates and wave your fist

if you get hit head on you go face first through the windshield and it gets mess and scooters dont have to worry about you gettign out of their way they jsut maneuver you like pylons

and why would cops want to give tickets to motorists who they have to chase it much work

yep, big pet peeve and not an original topic on forumosa.

Pedestrian Crossings (2004)
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=16013

What do you love/hate about Taipei? City Hall wants to know! (2002)
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=5351

Ok so the traffic and pedestrian lights hit green and what do the cars and scooters turning do? zooom thru before the crossing gets too busy. WTF is wrong with this country?

So I checked the stats to compare to my home country (New Zealand) and in 2005 there were 3,000 pedestrian fatalities in Taiwan and 45 in New Zealand that year. Populations are 22 vs 4 million. Its an 11x increase. Just insane…

Back home they will have ‘look for cyclists’ and ‘give way to pedestrian’ signs everywhere, as well as continuous TV campaigns for driver safety, drink driving., etc. This is what any normal first world country does.

Are there not any grassroots campaigns for pedestrian safety? Imagine the poor families of some of those dead children…

TiM

Welcome to the suck…:smiley:

(apologies to Chesty Puller fans everywhere)

pedestrian crossings are a sign that says “here you are most likely to be run down by a selfish prick”, so use caution, and carry an umbrella with a steel tip that you use happily against the side of the car. black cars (especially those damn wannabe Cefiros) scratch particularly well.

To the op: And so you’re lucky to come from a nice safe country which is still stuck in the 1950’s. Nothing wrong with that and honestly I’d love to retire to somewhere so serene.

Unfortunately the rest of the world became selfish and faster sometime during the 70’s. Taiwan’s attitude to pedestrians isn’t so different from other civilized countries like Italy and France. The law of the road, sea and air is that the bigger I am the more damage i can do, so you better stay out of my way.

So as a pedestrian I watch out for the careless/selfish car drivers on the road and as a driver/rider I expect pedestrians to do the same. All rubs along very smoothly so far.

The government could do more for pedestrian safety but the list of things to be done is massive and they probably feel they have better things to do. Personally I’d like pavements that I can push my sons pushchair down without being forced into the road because of trees and street furniture, also less slippery surfaces outside shops so I don’t feel I’m going to break my neck in the pouring rain. But these are minor gripes and me moaning about it on this site won’t achieve anything other than giving me an ulcer, so I suck it up and get on with life because I’m to indifferent to campaign properly for changes. I’ll leave that to others!!

Two of the three times I’ve been run over have been at pedestrian crossings … and I was on a vehicle!

Enough said.

People ask me why I pick up the dog everytime we get to a crossing. I wish someone would also take me in his arms and carry me to “safety” - or at least to the other side.

Being out there is all the sporting chance I give them.

“Unfortunately the rest of the world became selfish and faster sometime during the 70’s. Taiwan’s attitude to pedestrians isn’t so different from other civilized countries”

This not true: Canada, the U.S., and Japan have very safe crosswalks. Before I came to Taiwan, all my Taiwanese friends back home said: “You need to be very careful crossing the streets in Taiwan; it’s very dangerous.” They know this, it’s just hard to change acculturated behavior.

Just this morning, after walking out onto the main road from my ally, I saw a man lying in pain on the crosswalk with a scooter knocked over next to him, and a car inches from his head. The women who hit him was relaxingly standing there like nothing happened. Someone did call the police and an ambulance came. Ironic thing is, it was an accident between to vehicles on a crosswalk – no pedestrians involved!

I think things will change with the aging of the younger generations: they seem to be more keen on safety.

It’s not as simple as you might think.

I think your math is faulty. You’ve forgotten that New Zealand is 269 thousand square kilometers versus 36 thousand in Taiwan.

This means that Taiwan has a population density of 685 people per square kilometer.
New Zealand has a polulation density of 13.6 people per square kilometer. That’s a big difference. 50 times.

I don’t know if you should be using a geometric or logrithmic scale for the liklihood of getting into an accident due to density of traffic, but let’s admit that it plays a part. You meet 50 cars on the way to Lake Taupo; I meet 2500 on the way to Sun Moon Lake.

So let’s see, (pencil sharpening icon) 23 million versus 4 million . . . . and 50 times the density.

5.75 times the population of NZ . . . TIMES 50 times the population density equals 287.5 (shall we call this the equalizer assuming that driving speeds are the same(they aren’t) and that driving abilities are the same (they aren’t) . . . and assuming the roads and miles driven are the same (they’re not). And let’s assume that vehicles per person are the same (not). And not all deaths occur when you hit another driver/passenger. Kilometers of roads per square kilometer are no doubt different as well.

Anyway . . .

45 times 287.5 equals 12,937.5 expected deaths in Taiwan if drivers are as bad as those in New Zealand.

Oh, wait . . . (gets out graph paper icon)

Let’s face it, the formula has too many variables.

If you want to walk in the country and enjoy nature, go to New Zealand. If you cross a street, look both ways no matter where you are.

z

i think a better variable would be the total length of roading than the area. NZ is very rural so lots of farmland and forest/mountains, roads are few and far between.

Driving in Auckland is anything but scenic…

TiM

1 Like

ok just as a thought experiement. what about these variables…

population density, length of roads, number of vehicles, distance traveled.

first three can find, not sure about total distance traveled. hahaha

TiM

And yet another variable is pedestrian spatial awareness.

It kills me when I see people with little kids marching into traffic . . . totally oblivious.

3 thousand deaths a year is one in 8 thousand. Is that a lot? It sounds a little high.

One thing I appreciate in Taiwan is the lack of horns. I usually listen for about 30 seconds or (usually) more between horn blasts . . . even at major intersections.

Anyone here ever been to New Delhi or Cairo? Never a second goes by . . .

z

…and most of taiwan is uninhabitable mountains with no roads.

at least taiwan drivers are predictable. you KNOW that pinhead is going to go for the quick left and you’re going to have to run. whether the light be red, green or purple, you’re ALWAYS on your toes, and you always stay well out of the way of predictable trouble. it would take like a bus plowing onto the sidewalk to get me here.

I think it’s quite obvious. Zebra crossing aren’t for humans. :stuck_out_tongue: