Pedestrians in Peril

While more pressing issues like child obesity, low childbirth rates and artificially low wages remain untouched. Oh wait, if there weren’t any children then there would be no child obesity issues at all, and if kids weren’t in the equation the locals would happily slave away 80 hours a work week and make $22k a month. Maybe they have taken care of those issues.

How are they going to stop the cars? Scooters are one thing, but a driver may not “notice” a checkpoint. I’d also like to know when you can pass through a crosswalk with people leaving at some people feel it is a great time to dawdle for those making right or left turns. :unamused:

Everyone running a municipality is needing to do that. :laughing: This I’d like to see if they really do it. I wouldn’t hold my breath tho…I always
had the impression that the cops in Taiwan are like the county workers in Chicago. They get paid for existing…

Why? When Mayor Chen did a crackdown blitz on traffic and people were getting fined for blocking intersections and breaking other road rules the traffic habits changed dramatically. Many people only understand one thing and thats when it comes out of their own $$$

I wish they do the same with Taipei county… there are no traffic rules here. Taipei city may not be perfect but it’s much better than the county. Someone should do an episode of “Dangerous drives” on Taiwan… because the streets of Taiwan is a dangerous drive.

Taiwan already has enough “laws” on the books.

The whole thing falls apart in that “enforcement” part of the equation.

I have been asking the in-laws about the local traffic signs and markings as I start driving in Taiwan. When I asked them how do the striped lines at intersections work, are people allowed to cross there and do cars have to stop, they didn’t know (:

So, its been a little over a year since your guyes mayor said he was working to increase enforcement of traffic laws. Anyone notice any kind of effect?

No effect whatsoever. I’ve been almost run over several times on a pedestrian crosswalk.

Although, I was shocked out of my gourd just last week when someone actually stopped to let me cross.

Why have the white stripes when all it does is lull you into a false sense of security just before you get run over?

It does seem that the mi chuang are taught that the ‘white stripe’ area is designated for scooter and auto parking at intersections where they are present.

Maybe some politician’s relative owns the company that supplies the white paint? :whistle:

[quote=“redwagon”]

This will be political suicide since Taiwanese love to bend and break rules. But imagine the hilarity that would ensue! :smiley:[/quote]
I would LOVE to see this kind of thing in Taiwan. It would be sheer entertainment just sitting nearby and watching the selfish ignorant asshole pricks here trying to get through and screwing up their cars.

I was amazed the last two months that I’ve been back in Belgium, on every pedestrian crossing cars actually stopped to let people cross.

Why? When Mayor Chen did a crackdown blitz on traffic and people were getting fined for blocking intersections and breaking other road rules the traffic habits changed dramatically. Many people only understand one thing and thats when it comes out of their own $$$[/quote]
Ha ha! Proved absolutely right, yet again! Strictly lip service. NOTHING happened. NOTHING. Absolutely business as usual.

Maybe some politician’s relative owns the company that supplies the white paint? :whistle:[/quote]

No - I think that the white stripes are doing exactly what they are meant to - lulling us so that it’s easier to take us down.

I was driving through an intersection yesterday, and my natural instinct to stop for a pedestrian crossing the road resulted in the poor girl crossing the road making possibly the most confused expression I have ever seen not knowing what to do, and then all of the cars behind me starting to honk.

I am beginning to take on the impression that stopping for pedestrians here is dangerous for everyone involved.

消す

This is something that gets my goat too. There is a crossing next to my bunker (hereafter known as Gotham City) which gives you only 17 seconds to cross the road. It’s all very well for us virile young bucks, but half the population of Gotham City are retirees. I have to walk old folks across that road several times a day. I don’t mind helping old people out of course, but bloody hell, can’t they sort it out and give them more time?

Yours sincerely,
Outraged of Tunbridge Wells/ Xindian.

The idea is that CARS on those main roads don’t need to wait for so long, to keep traffic flowing. Screw the pedestrian.

dont automatically assume that will happen on the wan. Iv seen several people run into right on the crosswalk on the wan, and one young girl literally run over by a big truck and cut in half in taipei on a crosswalk.

happens in the USA too. One young 23 year old just moved to SAn Fran and got mowed down by a MUni bus going up the wrong street. She was 95 pct of the way across too.

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/tra … y_id=95922

always look all around you at all times on the street. NEver be absorbed in music or become in anyway unaware of your surroundings.