Penghu Accommodations and Drinking

Been cruising around the forums looking for info on Penghu accommodations and drinking locations but have had little luck - two more recent threads have petered out. Internet searches are a joke if you don’t read Chinese and I don’t. Anyone have good experiences wit a beach resort or out of town (especially Northern Penghu islands) hotel on the beach? Also, a good western restaurant/bar on same island?

There are plenty of small hotels on those outlying islands - just take your pick. As for a western restaurant, what’s the point in going to Penghu for western food? Half the point of going there for most people is to enjoy the fresh seafood, cooked by local people in the local way, to be enjoyed with or without beer as you please.

Here is a bunch of sunburned English teachers enjoying a few cans of Taiwan Beer in Magong/Makung, which is the main town on Penghu:

I was watching that Janet show the other day and she said there are over 400 hotels there. How hard could it be to find one that suits?

Spoiled for choice. That being said he was a a kind of specific what he wanted and it’s always good to hear about some experiences rather than picking one that seems to fit the bill but might turn out to be a hellhole.

He didn’t say he is going there for the food, did he?

See here’s the thing - I’m not trying to fit in to local culture or what have you, I’d like to go to a beach that reminds me of Thailand or Vietnam a little is all - and I don’t mean the go-go girls. I wanna be a beach bum and drink myself to oblivion for a couple night a la Leaving Las Vegas but, you know, without the death part. Or the hooker part. Fulong’s nothing like it, Baishawan ditto. Kenting? Please - plus F a 2-hour bus ride.

I wanna get on a 30 minute flight outta Songshan (no way I’m spending a couple hours of my life going out to Taoyuan etc) and land on a beach. Never been to Taitong, but GI and OI are extra jumps. Does Hualien have some beach bars? But I’m thinking less crowded.

So yeah seafood’d be great but I need a little Western food once a day. Realize it’s not Thailand or VN but there’s gotta be one place.

Western food? There’s a McDonald’s…

Actually, I remember a nice little Italian place near the bus terminal in Magong.

We did find a nice little bar near the harbor end of the main drag. Don’t remember the name or address, sadly.

[quote=“TwoTongues”]See here’s the thing - I’m not trying to fit in to local culture or what have you, I’d like to go to a beach that reminds me of Thailand or Vietnam a little is all - and I don’t mean the go-go girls. I wanna be a beach bum and drink myself to oblivion for a couple night a la Leaving Las Vegas but, you know, without the death part. Or the hooker part. Fulong’s nothing like it, Baishawan ditto. Kending? Please - plus F a 2-hour bus ride.

I wanna get on a 30 minute flight outta Songshan (no way I’m spending a couple hours of my life going out to Taoyuan etc) and land on a beach. Never been to Taitong, but GI and OI are extra jumps. Does Hualian have some beach bars? But I’m thinking less crowded.

So yeah seafood’d be great but I need a little Western food once a day. Realize it’s not Thailand or VN but there’s gotta be one place.[/quote]

There’s nowhere like that in Taiwan…you have to shell out the money and go to Thai/Vn/Phil etc. You can go to Cebu or Bohol to find something along those lines for pretty cheap prices. But PengHu is worth a visit…it’s hot as hell in Aug though!

I was down there the other week and these guys have a westernish restuarant:
http://www.liquidsport.com.tw/Web/Ver.En/About.htm
I went in there for lunch and they had long list of curries. Hands down best thai style curry i’ve had in taiwan. Does that count?

[quote=“headhonchoII”]I was down there the other week and these guys have a westernish restuarant:
liquidsport.com.tw/Web/Ver.En/About.htm
I went in there for lunch and they had long list of curries. Hands down best thai style curry I’ve had in Taiwan. Does that count?[/quote]
That place sounds really interesting. Now if I could just get the wife to enjoy quiet time by the water (I’ve given up hope on getting her IN the water), I may finally be able try out windsurfing.

I think that probably the best drinking / eating experience in Makung would be having an outdoor barbecue with fresh seafood facing the harbor, with your own supply of cold beer, something the locals love to do. After that, you could wander down to the customs house area, where there is a public circle with monument that local kaoliang drinkers like to hang out at, along with foreign sailors with a shore pass. I found the main bar area to be pretty limited in terms of atmosphere, although maybe a good place to end up for a last couple of drinks.

I was down there the other week and these guys have a westernish restuarant:
http://www.liquidsport.com.tw/Web/Ver.En/About.htm
I went in there for lunch and they had long list of curries. Hands down best thai style curry I’ve had in Taiwan. Does that count?[/quote]

It does count! Thai curries are the new Western food!